Shape stack order explained (UPDATED with pt 3)

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ylluminate

Post by ylluminate »

Hi @funksmaname, which of the tools that you delineated at the OP here are still relevant in ASP8? It seems that some of the tools are quite dated and I don't want to invest much time into figuring things out that might blow up in my face. :)

Thanks much!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hello,
I didn't use any tools that don't work in 8... infact, this can be done in AS core, the only things that are useful are the tools that let you see the current shapes stack placement as a number, all of which work in AS8

Even if a script doesn't work, it won't blow up in your face :) try all scripts you want, usually they work, and if not you can just remove them!
djwaterman

Re: Shape stack order explained (UPDATED with pt 3)

Post by djwaterman »

I was blown away by that set of tutorials, it seems there is a lot of history and inside knowledge with ASP, particularly with the third party scripts. Some of the techniques you used such as just drawing the splines and constructing the thing before committing to strokes and fills were really revolutionary to me.

Since these videos were done for an older version and I'm just starting out with 9.5, I can see I have a lot to get my head into. Are all the scripts you use here still relevant for 9.5?
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hey there :) Thanks for the feedback.

As far as scripts are concerned, most of them help you cut corners rather than allow you to do things not possible in AS core. With 9.5 many workflow improvements have been introduced (for experimenting with masking, for example, but be aware that when things get complex, the editor view is not always to be trusted... hopefully this will be fixed in later versions)

Just know the scripts exist, and many of the problems you might find yourself discovering as you use AS more have already been addressed in the past - so search or ask and we'll point you in the right direction.

I stand by the fact that one of the most fascinating, powerful and unique features of AS is the way construction splines and points are somewhat independent of the multiple shapes that are created by them... its a concept extremely alien coming from the '1 line, 1 shape' world of illustrator, and I hoped with these videos to demonstrate some of the possible uses of experimenting with shape stacking to simplify construction.

This is also the reason I always encourage new AS users to learn the deceptively restrictive drawing tool set and discover for themselves the hidden potential.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

I've already started to work with these techniques of layer stacking, it is really going to speed character creation and just drawing in general.

Of the scripts available, would you say that the mesh instance script is not something that ASP 9.5 does natively and so therefore necessary?
Deepurana749

Post by Deepurana749 »

thanx