Rigging a worm in AS10

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Rigging a worm in AS10

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, yesterday I had to animate a worm for a videoclip I'm working on and got this idea:

It's a combination of target bones and squash and stretch scaling. The vertical bones are parents or targets of the horizontal bones, so I just move that vertical bones to animate the worm. Since the horizontal bones are squashing and stretching, it really helps to give the sensation of a moving internal mass.
I just thought it's a cool rig, maybe it can be useful for you in the future, you never know when you will need to animate a worm :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jahnocli

Re: Rigging a worm in AS10

Post by jahnocli »

Ha ha! Terrific idea! Makes me want to animate a worm right now...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Awesome!
have to try this out. I am thinking this could work for limbs and body with some additional rigging. Will have to experiment.
My thought would be "sections" of "squash and stretch" within body parts that can also be rotated.
braj

Post by braj »

I'm so confused! Can you show how the parenting is set up? My attempt is a mess. Thanks!

Nevermind, I figured out that you don't use a parent for any of the control bones, and of course not the target bones. This is a very nice trick.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Wow, very cool rig.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

That technique looks a lot like the flag you made a few years ago. Thanks for sharing.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

One question. How are you getting the bones to squash?
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Really nice effect Selgin.
Synth, the linking (hidden) bones have squash/stretch scaling enabled I presume, so as the control bones get closer or further the middle ones squeeze and pull :)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

synthsin75 wrote:One question. How are you getting the bones to squash?
It's a little trick. The bones have Squash and Stretch scaling activated, but that only works for stretching. By default, if the target is close to the bone, the bone never goes lower than its normal scale.
To "activate" the lower scale, in frame one I scaled the bones to 0.1. Then I assigned a Maximum IK Stretching to 30 (or even more). That way, the software assumed the "normal" scale was that 0.1, and then stretched the bones to get the target. So I had freedom to move the target and get Squash and Stretch scaling from 0.1 to 3 (0.1 * 30 = 3)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

sbtamu wrote:That technique looks a lot like the flag you made a few years ago. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, to animate the worm crawling I used that same principle :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

selgin wrote:
It's a little trick. The bones have Squash and Stretch scaling activated, but that only works for stretching. By default, if the target is close to the bone, the bone never goes lower than its normal scale.
To "activate" the lower scale, in frame one I scaled the bones to 0.1. Then I assigned a Maximum IK Stretching to 30 (or even more). That way, the software assumed the "normal" scale was that 0.1, and then stretched the bones to get the target. So I had freedom to move the target and get Squash and Stretch scaling from 0.1 to 3 (0.1 * 30 = 3)
Brilliant! That's exactly the part I was missing. Thanks, Victor.
braj

Post by braj »

I turned my worm into a walrus, it works great :)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

selgin wrote:
That's the trick I have been using to experiment with character rigs to get more "flexibility" with squash and stretch of limbs.

One "extra" trick I use is to copy the bone scaling to frame 0. This creates a scaling bone "offset". This way I don't have to worry about the extra key frame on frame 1. Some times that frame can get deleted if I don't pay attention ;). Bone scaling is not supported on frame 0 so the only way to "scale" a bone on frame 0 is to copy and paste the scale key frame from another frame.

This has drawbacks but it keeps all the set up on frame 0 where I like it. Scaling limbs for characters this way does work but it can be a bit weird depending on how the layers are drawn.
ARTzuza

Post by ARTzuza »

Hi Selgin,
so interesting. Please can you show us the bone setup (parents, targets) with an ".anme"?, i want to study it because i have been trying to replicate this rig for to learn, but i don´t get it. Please can you submit a .anme? :D
-----------------------------------------
Tutorials, Making of and more in My Youtube channel:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:https://www.youtube.com/c/ARTzuzaAnimation
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

ARTzuza wrote:Hi Selgin,
so interesting. Please can you show us the bone setup (parents, targets) with an ".anme"?, i want to study it because i have been trying to replicate this rig for to learn, but i don´t get it. Please can you submit a .anme? :D
No problem
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/544 ... m_rig.anme
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com