How to make water waves in Anime Studio.

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Poptoogi

How to make water waves in Anime Studio.

Post by Poptoogi »

This tutorial is on how to animate water waves in Anime Studio Pro. With one piece of artwork and a small amount of animating frames, you can simulate the movement of a liquid surface. It's a fairly straight forward tutorial but you must have Anime Studio Pro in order to use the particles. Also, be aware that using large amounts of particles that also contain effects like blurring or gradients will slow down your computer when rendering. Make sure you have your animation down before doing a full render!

SORRY about the blank 3 minutes or so at the end of the video. I don't know why it uploaded like that but I'll try and fix it as soon as possible!
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
Little Yamori

Re: How to make water waves in Anime Studio.

Post by Little Yamori »

Guyver93

Ok, these tutorials are seriously helpful. I spent over 2 years making my last animation which had a fair amount of tropical water in it. I struggled mightily to do all the water movement by hand, not even cycling the movement but copy pasting alternate point changes in water shape and playing with the layer transformation etc..., I'm pretty happy with how it came out, but what you just did in this tutorial was better, easier and quicker. Thanks for posting it. I'll be going into animation mode again in the a couple of months for my next full animation, and your tutorials are all going to be bookmarked.

Thanks a ton, please keep making more.

Here's what I did if you're interested, the tropical water is near the end just before the 9 minute mark

hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

helpful stuff!

what would be even more helpful is a summary of key points either as a closing slide in the video or in the post - e.g.

the wave is a soft edged shape with 80% alpha. wave motion is animated in a cycle.
The wave layer translates horizontally in a cycle. it's set to blend mode add
The wave layer is in a particle layer....
DK

Post by DK »

guyver93 very well done and a great result to boot!

DK
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

Little Yamori wrote:Guyver93

Ok, these tutorials are seriously helpful. I spent over 2 years making my last animation which had a fair amount of tropical water in it. I struggled mightily to do all the water movement by hand, not even cycling the movement but copy pasting alternate point changes in water shape and playing with the layer transformation etc..., I'm pretty happy with how it came out, but what you just did in this tutorial was better, easier and quicker. Thanks for posting it. I'll be going into animation mode again in the a couple of months for my next full animation, and your tutorials are all going to be bookmarked.

Thanks a ton, please keep making more.
Whoa, LY this is fantastic! It's so detailed and so many different effects going on too! Honestly, sometimes you gotta go with frame by frame stuff because it looks so much better. Some of the stuff I do, particularly the particle stuff I make, is to save animators time. AS is so powerful in that way and I think that if I can share anything that helps someone with cutting down on their production time, they can really focus on the personal touches that want to focus on and not get so burned out from other tasks. As long as I can think of ways to save time, I'll keep on making videos! Thank you again for the kind words!
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

hayasidist wrote:helpful stuff!

what would be even more helpful is a summary of key points either as a closing slide in the video or in the post - e.g.

the wave is a soft edged shape with 80% alpha. wave motion is animated in a cycle.
The wave layer translates horizontally in a cycle. it's set to blend mode add
The wave layer is in a particle layer....

That, my friend is a great idea! Defiantly going to do that in my next video! It's one of those "That so obvious, why didn't I think of that?" things! Thanks you for the suggestion. I think that will really help my videos. I think I'll even put link jumps on the key points so people don't have to scrub through the entire video to find the subjects again!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

The video was great, but can I make a suggestion? The music was kind of intrusive; can it be muted a little or dispensed with?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

jahnocli wrote:The video was great, but can I make a suggestion? The music was kind of intrusive; can it be muted a little or dispensed with?

Yeah Jahnocli, I like having background music but this is only my second time using it and it does seem a bit to high. I will make it much more muted in the next video so it's not so intrusive *barely audible unless it's a part that I'm speeding up and not talking* but still.....please let me know on the next one if it seems bothersome! I'm still working on figuring out my style to the way I make my videos. In the past I just recorded and uploaded but I'm starting to put a little more effort into producing them. Better thumbnails, better tools and visuals when editing, better microphone....all that jazz! So bare with me as I fine tune my way into trying to make better stuff for my AS people!! :)
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Wow, that was a great tutorial!

I feel like I'm watching a magic trick when I watch your videos.

"And for my next illusion, watch me turn this blue squiggle into.....animated water!"
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

guyver93 wrote:
Whoa, LY this is fantastic! It's so detailed and so many different effects going on too! Honestly, sometimes you gotta go with frame by frame stuff because it looks so much better. Some of the stuff I do, particularly the particle stuff I make, is to save animators time. AS is so powerful in that way and I think that if I can share anything that helps someone with cutting down on their production time, they can really focus on the personal touches that want to focus on and not get so burned out from other tasks. As long as I can think of ways to save time, I'll keep on making videos! Thank you again for the kind words!
Hey, thanks for checking it out. Actually I suppose it some way it could be called FBF, but it was just a lot of copying and pasting points ( which is why I lament the Copy, Paste, Delete tabs getting removed from above the timeline), all done in AS Debut 6, which had some limited options, but was stable and good enough to get things done, but your technique here would have saved hours and hours, so thx again.

BTW, I learned how to use AS having never used animation software before, and having no background in it. I owe everything to YouTube tutorials like Chad Trofgreffen's Incredible tutorials, but just being honest, yours are better and to the point at this stage. I think you could make a YouTube Channel yourself and perhaps monetize it.

LY
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

Hey, thanks for checking it out. Actually I suppose it some way it could be called FBF, but it was just a lot of copying and pasting points ( which is why I lament the Copy, Paste, Delete tabs getting removed from above the timeline), all done in AS Debut 6, which had some limited options, but was stable and good enough to get things done, but your technique here would have saved hours and hours, so thx again.

BTW, I learned how to use AS having never used animation software before, and having no background in it. I owe everything to YouTube tutorials like Chad Trofgreffen's Incredible tutorials, but just being honest, yours are better and to the point at this stage. I think you could make a YouTube Channel yourself and perhaps monetize it.

LY
Thanks LY! I use youtube to upload all my videos under the name "Shonuff93" and have a decent amount of videos and tutorials but I've only recently decided to step up my game and put a little more effort into making them! I'm actually in the process of putting together stuff to create a second youtube channel under a different name because ShoNuff and Guyver are both based on fictional characters that I like but don't want to use them because they probably have copywrite protection. I didn't have any intention of making it a serious channel because I didn't think anyone would really watch my videos. It was more of a "If someone finds them interesting, I have it on record of how I did it" type of thing.

I haven't thought about monetizing my video really because I don't really that many views to generate anything. My most popular video is "The Toast Song" which has gotten 75,000 views still isn't enough to make any money I don't think. I'm hoping with a new channel that has a little more effort put into it, I can get some traction and maybe start making videos that do make a couple of bucks. I'm thinking patreon might be the way to go to so that I can give subscribers reward files like AS rigs or artwork as I do a lot of vector illustration as well. http://jholland2.wix.com/resume2

I'm basically just trying to figure out a way to create, design and animate to do the things I really love! Not sure how I'm gonna do it, but I'm gonna give it a go!! I'm going back to school at 41 years old to finish getting my graphic design degree and might have to leave my job of 16 years to pursue my dream of animating and designing as a job. It's scary as hell for me but I gotta try right? We will see what this year brings. **Fingers crossed**
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

guyver93 wrote: I'm basically just trying to figure out a way to create, design and animate to do the things I really love! Not sure how I'm gonna do it, but I'm gonna give it a go!! I'm going back to school at 41 years old to finish getting my graphic design degree and might have to leave my job of 16 years to pursue my dream of animating and designing as a job. It's scary as hell for me but I gotta try right? We will see what this year brings. **Fingers crossed**
Well, you and I are in similar situations (I've got a few years on you though) but am also moving into new work after 20 plus years, and am looking for graphic training this summer. I was just thinking how on Incredible Tutorials, they always mention that they've "teamed up with SmithMicro" but what you're doing is right in that niche of explaining the software tools too. I mean their stuff was a great help in the beginning, but once passed that stage, your tutorials dig in deeper and to better effect I think (no knock on them), so I'm sure there's some opportunity that will pop up. Maybe even with Chad and Jim over there. Also it looks like MT Buck from this board is looking to do something with tutorials on his facebook page (Anime Studio Pros) and Youtube, with some professional animators.

Anyway, just a thought. everyone on this board has been super helpful with advice that I've been able to take advantage of, so trying to give back the encouragement.

Keep it up

LY
Ahroo

Post by Ahroo »

I would just like to add my thanks for this tutorial - and so many of your previous ones. I've learned a lot of great things from watching them.

But I would also like to comment that I find the little pop-ups distracting and unnecessary. I know that you feel that you need to make your tutorials a little more "entertaining", but I do not find that to be a problem in the least. I watch tutorials to learn something, not to be entertained. And I agree with an earlier poster that your tutorials are among the best - they are well-thought out, concise, clear and presented without a lot of fumbling about and talk about unrelated stuff. The pop-ups just take my eye and concentration away from the subject matter - especially when they are so brief that I'm really not even sure what it is that popped up.

The sound quality is great, and I actually don't mind the background music so long as it is unobtrusive, but it certainly isn't necessary. I just want to learn, and you help me do that!! Thanks again.
clipart125

Post by clipart125 »

I am also just want to thanks to this last Tutorial And also to the others. :lol: :lol: I was in very struggle but you all clear me all what in was i !Thanks