DK's Better Fill Tutorial

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

DK's Better Fill Tutorial

Post by DK »

Hi.
I am working on a project at the moment that involves using a lot of small characters and giant characters as well.
The outlines of the small characters have to be quite large so they don't get lost in the composition against the giants.
What I found was Moho's default fill is really lacking when it comes to larger outlines. The outlines tend to encroach
on the inner shape completely destroying any detail. I have just discovered this technique of making abetter fill that
keeps an object intact as one shape for rigging but has a completely adjustable outline width.
(I Bet a script could do this anyone who's interested?)

NOTE: Before doing step 6, (Welding individual points), be sure to have "Auto- Fill and Auto-Stroke turned off).EDIT: With We's script.Cheers
D.K
EDIT: Using Wes's Script which works brilliantly.
Make the first shape, select and turn off it's internal fill. Create the second fill, select and turn off it's outline. Done!

Last edited by DK on Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Re: DK's Better Fill Tutorial

Post by synthsin75 »

Hey David,

You can do this on the same set of points using my create shape mod: viewtopic.php?t=32301

Just select the same points and create your fill-only shape on top.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

The tutorial is nice and clear (and makes me wish we had an official simple option to decide if we want the fill over or below the stroke), but I wouldn't recomend people to bind points that way. It could generate future errors and render issues.
Synth's tool is a good solution.
Personally, I usually just separate fill and stroke 'by hand' following this technique:
https://lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 52#p147152
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Same set of points on top of each other makes the transform points tool a bit useless since you now first have to select with the select points tool marquee.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

slowtiger wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:23 pm Same set of points on top of each other makes the transform points tool a bit useless since you now first have to select with the select points tool marquee.
Not really, because every point is welded to the top one, so the transform tool will work just normally.
Now, if for any other reason, you have two independent points at the same place and you want to move them together, you can use the Magnet tool. If you set a very small radius, it will work almost identical to the Transform points tool.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
DK

Post by DK »

Yes Wes's tool is fantastic and creates one mesh which you can manipulate with the transform point tool easily.
Illustrator and CorelDraw both have line options similar to this tool and it makes a huge difference especially
when using fonts.
It will be a staple for me from now on.

Cheers
D.K