Simple 4 bone 3D head turn part2

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Neoranma

Post by Neoranma »

Wow, this looks great. I started to play with the sample files. I can't wait to hear more information about it!
DK

Post by DK »

Hey Neo. Let us know how you go. We'd love to see your work :)

D.K
Neoranma

Post by Neoranma »

I have had a few stumbling blocks. One, I think I need to find that nifty copy past bones script. Getting the bones on the other side of the face is going to be a chore without it.

Second, as I put in the bone scaling. I need to figure out what values to put in. I tried copying yours, but my head shape is different. I also notice if I adjust it in say, frame 30, the bone changes, but not the bound point unless I scrub the time line.

I'm not even going to attempt eyes, ears nose or mouth yet.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I think that the copybones script set is gone from its original location. Tha Narie was the forum member who created it.

I just remembered that I put a copy of it on my site after it "vanished":

http://www.lowrestv.com/moho_stuff/copybones.zip

I'm hoping this is the one and not one of my own versions. ;)

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Neo.
It's not overly hard to put the bones in by hand. Remember, once you have modelled your character you will never have to do it again :)

I start by working with three profile sketches on seperate layers. Front right side and left side. Start work on frame 0.

1. Hide the right and left side profile layers and trace the front profile shape of your head in Moho making sure the points are minimal but well placed enough to define the profile.

2. Create and drag out your horizontal bones down one side and then the other so that each bone tip meets it's respective point along the front profile precisely. Bind these bones to their points.

3. Drag timeline out to say frame 20. Hide the front profile and reveal the right side profile layer.

4. Click on the scale bone tool and drag each bone out so that the bone pulls each point out to match this profile and create keyframes for all the bones on the right side of the face at frame 20.

EDIT:Take note of the Scale bone numeric readout. This number should be the same for the opposite left profile bone. (use copy paste).

5. Hide the right side profile layer and open the left profile layer. Drag timeline out to frame 40. Repeat step 4 for the left side profile creating a set of keyframes at frame 40.

6. Save this as a master file and use another copy for testing the large control bone to get twists and implementing other constraint features like angle constraint for frontal up and down movement etc.

Hope this helps!
D.K
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

Yes!!! Absolutely brilliant, DK.

A completely consistent and logic extension from the technique of your first model!
It's simple, clear and very USEFUL. Thanks a million for sharing!

Now I only wish I had some time to try this one out myself and play with it... (...won't happen for a couple of months - drowning in heaps of work here...)
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
DK

Post by DK »

Also don't forget Capricorn33's great work on ange constrant for frontal up and down movement with 1 control bone. (also availabe in this thread)Heyverne wrote a neat script for it. I'd love to get time to play with the technique a bit more myself but workload won't allow like Cap :(

Here's an idea!
Maybe someone could compile this huge thread into a AS tutorial and sell it as a PDF file on CP. All contributing developers get equal share in the profits :) The thread has taken 20317 hits since first started!

Cheers
D.K
DK

Post by DK »

Hi.
Here's a profile to profile rotation of the 2.5D head with nose using scale rotate modelling and some small point manipulation.

http://www.wienertoonz.com/profile2profile.swf

....It is possibe to do and quite easy :)

D.K
ARTIST

Post by ARTIST »

DK wrote:Hi.
Here's a profile to profile rotation of the 2.5D head with nose using scale rotate modelling and some small point manipulation.

http://www.wienertoonz.com/profile2profile.swf

....It is possibe to do and quite easy :)

D.K
WOW! just WOW.

Thx for sharing this.

.anime file, please?
DK

Post by DK »

Here is the .anme file.

http://www.wienertoonz.com/profile2profile.zip

D.K
EDIT:
Note, I have used a bit of point tweeking in places and also manually moved the nose as a layer and tweeked the points at the side of the head to show/hide the jawline. It is much easier this way than to try and create a magic model that does eveything for you with bones. Just use the base model to create all your poses and then save them as actions for your character.
ARTIST

Post by ARTIST »

thanks
EDIT:
Note, I have used a bit of point tweeking in places and also manually moved the nose as a layer and tweeked the points at the side of the head to show/hide the jawline. It is much easier this way than to try and create a magic model that does eveything for you with bones.
Its not to hard to get a profile with bone tweaking. the overall simplicity compensates for it.
Just use the base model to create all your poses and then save them as actions for your character.
Exactly.

BTW. Its easy. Just bone scaling as shown individually in herobase.anime and moving the nose layer as shown in profile2profile.anime.

Just 1 question.
I guess eyes, mouth switch layers, hairs, etc. will be controlled by the control bones.
and ears will be done the same way as nose??
I hope it wont get too complicated as we add more parts/features.
DK

Post by DK »

I Have uploaded an ear model earlier in this thread. All that is needed is to copy it into the head model and duplicate. There is also a section that deals with eyes and also a mouth solution. Genete may have some suggestions to add to the mouth as my early version used a mouth tat was split in two so it could be scale rotated with the head.

Cheers
D.K
ARTIST

Post by ARTIST »

DK wrote:I Have uploaded an ear model earlier in this thread. All that is needed is to copy it into the head model and duplicate. There is also a section that deals with eyes and also a mouth solution. Genete may have some suggestions to add to the mouth as my early version used a mouth tat was split in two so it could be scale rotated with the head.

Cheers
D.K
Yup i have seen them already.

i just wanted to know if u had made any changes or additions to them. Now i know. Thx
Genete

Post by Genete »

DK wrote:I Have uploaded an ear model earlier in this thread. All that is needed is to copy it into the head model and duplicate. There is also a section that deals with eyes and also a mouth solution. Genete may have some suggestions to add to the mouth as my early version used a mouth tat was split in two so it could be scale rotated with the head.

Cheers
D.K
The split mouth works well for simple characters even of you want to make a side to side profile. What I have done in my "Don Empinado" character was hide the half of the mouth at the proper time behind the head profile, then only a single half of the mouth works well in the profile. Also I made, only with point motion, the phonemes, recorded in actions and let the bones make only the translation and scale of the mouth.

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/DE/DE-setup21.swf

The eyes can be something similar but my character have very simple eyes.

In this animation he is turning by steps but it can be done smoothly too. BTW he is speaking a meaningless speech.

If you want to have a look to the file it is in the first post of the link.

For complex mouths I 'll go to Darth's technique. The problem with the scale turn technique and the mouth is that with only horizontal translation of the points could be difficult to achieve a front and side profile with the same points (there are problems with the curvature). If you look to Darth's tutorial video (third part) He completely transform the mouth from 3/4 to side. The drawback for that is that recording phonemes couldn't be done with point motion and only with bone motion.
Each technique have its own drawbacks. I think the best way is take the best of each one.

-G
Patrick McClintock

.anme file

Post by Patrick McClintock »

Can someone post a link to a free file sharing site for me? Putfile is down for maintenance. I need to re-establish a link to a former file in this thread,
Thanks!!!!
P.
P.