More than one curvature in the same point

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

More than one curvature in the same point

Post by Genete »

I will show you how to obtain a point with different curvatures for each curve that cross it.

It can be only done during construction. It is easier with fazek's curvature tool replacement (see Scripting subforum) but canbe done with original LM curvature tool.

1) Create the curves that will pass by the same point. Create them apart not sharing the target point.
2) Modify the curvature of every curve at the point that is supposed to be the target point.
3) Put the target points one over other with the translate point tool. Press space to weld the points. The curves will maintain it own and individual curvature.

If you modify the curvature later with the curvature tool you will modify all the curves at the same time

The sample:

Every color line is a different curve.
-G
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Thanks Genete,
its a shame you cant change the curvature for a particular line by selecting the two points on that line instead of the junction point - you've shown it IS possible to have different curvatures for many lines on a point, so we just need to find a way to tell AS which line it is we'd like to tweak... hmmm maybe one for the scripters ;)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

hmmm maybe one for the scripters
There is some conflicting info:
SetCurvature(curvature, frame)

Sets the curvature of all curves that pass through this point.

-------
SetCurvature(ptID, curvature, frame)

Sets the curvature through a given point on the curve.
So in theory maybe you could set the curve of a point that had multiple curves. The problem is that the curve tool selects points. It would need to be changed to select a curve segment and then get the curvature of the nearest point. I think the current curve tool modifies the selected point curvature which is why ALL the curves change.

I have to check that one out because this is could be a fantastic feature to add to the curve tool.

Are we certain no one has already "fixed' this? Like Fazek or 7feet?

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

Aaaah! the wonderful fazek's tools!!!!!

You CAN modify only the curvature of the selected curve if you select more than one point from the same curve and none form the other!!!

That's GREAT! Definitively you MUST HAVE fazek tools!!!.

PLEASE FAHIM :!:, LOST MARBLE :!: DON'T LET THOSE TOOLS TO BE LOOSE AS CRASHCORE SCRIPTS. MAYBE SOMEDAY THEY ARE NOT THERE!!!!!!:!:

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

-G
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Yep - well spotted Genete, Fazeks curve tools DO allow you to do that by selecting the intersection point, plus the nearest two points on either side on a particular line.

NICE.

Fazeks tools are amazing and should be make sticky if they arent already.
Same with 7feets shape stack order tool that lets you see numerically a shapes order (and lets you select hidden shapes below! before this i was moving stuff around all the time) - THAT tool is on page 5 or something of the scripting forums and i think its one of the most important tools out there.

There should be a script page on the AS website to host all these forever!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I made Fazek's thread sticky but it has an odd subject that... doesn't really say what it is.

I am reluctant to change it without his permission. He's kind of missing in action lately. I bet he has a real job or something. ;)

I probably should make 7feet's thread sticky as well... but he's really been gone a long time. I should check to make sure the links still work.

I have backups of all those scripts just in case they disappear.

-vern
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

i think the link does still work as it was only a few days ago i decided to start at the last thread of the scripting forum and 'rape n' pilage' it till i get up to date :p... (i didnt go through EVERY thread though, but found some mega useful things :))
chucky

Post by chucky »

thanks for the tip Genete, heyvern. You guys are a literal encyclopedia of Anime SP,... :shock: