Switch Layer

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Oldsocks

Switch Layer

Post by Oldsocks »

I am brand new to animation, although I've been doing static graphic arts for over 30 years. I have just recently obtained AS Debut 7 and apparently I am thick of head and slow of mind. I have watched the intro video tutorial and read through whatever documentation is available, but I am having trouble understanding the precise way to make the switch layer work. Any guidance on this would be deeply appreciated.

I also am curious about how to get the character Liz put back together, as she comes up with her arms and legs separated from her torso. I managed to get her legs back to their proper position, but without the included bone rigging. The rest of her remained in the disjointed position, as I was unable to move the rest of her back together. Help on this would be similarly appreciated.

Peace
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Have you seen the embedded tutorials? They are in Help | Help... They should, er, help... The Switch layer works as follows: all the layers you want to switch between should be dragged into the Switch layer. During the animation, when you want to, er, switch a layer, you right click on the Switch layer and a little menu list appears. Select one item from the menu, and that item will be displayed from then on in the timeline.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
thestudentisready

Best way to compile multiple scenes

Post by thestudentisready »

I've got all the basic scenes worked out for a music video... still fleshing some of them out, but the bones are all there.

Basically, each is an animated background with various images overlayed to give the impression of a certain space.

Now, a few fancy transitions aside, I'm trying to figure out the best way to compile it all.

Right now, I have 6 separate projects.. one for each scene.

Each has animation with keyframes, etc... synced to a beat.

What is the easiest way to compile them into one single project?

Also, what is the best way to cut between scenes? Put each scene into a group and use switch layer to switch between groups? Something else?

Some of the scenes have many hundreds of objects, so looking for simplicity here. thx
ggm1960

Re: Switch Layer

Post by ggm1960 »

Oldsocks wrote:
I also am curious about how to get the character Liz put back together, as she comes up with her arms and legs separated from her torso. I managed to get her legs back to their proper position, but without the included bone rigging. The rest of her remained in the disjointed position, as I was unable to move the rest of her back together. Help on this would be similarly appreciated.
This is a good question. Rachel is the same way and I can't figure out how to move the arms and legs back to the body, weird!
17" MacBook Pro MC024LL/A
15" MacBook Pro MB133LL/A
Anime Studio Pro 7, Poser 8, Final Cut Express 4
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I have seen the head turn video, but I haven't seen any full body turn video. Is this possible, with switch layer? I have only seen a quarter body turn, and would love to see how that was done.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Here is an example of a full body turn using switch layers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk2vPwtYRcQ

And a great tutorial explaining how it's done:
http://blog.smithmicro.com/blogimages/C ... Studio.pdf

The Liz character looks split apart on frame 0 because the bones are "offset." This is explained in the manual on page 208.
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

lwaxana wrote: The Liz character looks split apart on frame 0 because the bones are "offset." This is explained in the manual on page 208.
I'm reading the book Anime Studio 6: The Official Guide (there doesn't appear to be a version 7 book) by Kelly Murdock. It expains offsetting bones around page 422. I'm still a long way from that point in the book myself.

This also seems helpful:
http://anime.smithmicro.com/tutorials/c ... acters.pdf
17" MacBook Pro MC024LL/A
15" MacBook Pro MB133LL/A
Anime Studio Pro 7, Poser 8, Final Cut Express 4
fugdabug

about the manual for 7...

Post by fugdabug »

If you haven't already found it, it is located in the 'Program Files/SmithMicro/Manuals/English/Anime Studio Pro 7 Users Manual.pdf. However I do not know if Debut has this feature (:oops: ). I haven't touched Debut since my initial purchase of A-S Debut 5. But that is where it is found on my machine. Where ever the installation files are situated for you.
I wish you the best. AnimeStudio is a toolbox of wonders!
(quite literally... I wonder how I can...) but that is what this forum is for!!!! :D