Bike cycle

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Bike cycle

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, I'm animating some characters made by a friend. I just finished this one, it's cycle based on this xilography

You can see the video here
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54411/videos/bici%2010.mov

PD: The construction is very conventional, at exception of the leg border. If you see well, it's not a simple border, it cuts the bike and make the background visible. I wanted to maintaing the xilography style as much as possible, so I thought awhile how to get that kind of border. Finally, to get that effect I duplicated the leg on a new layer, but only the stroke (no fill) visible, then I masked the bike layer with the leg stroke (-subtract from mask).

PD2: My friend asked me an animated gif, so here is it too
(fixed thanks to DK and jahnocli)
Last edited by Víctor Paredes on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Selgin.

I love it. My only critic is the right foot on the pedal. The pedal seems to drift around especially towards the top of the pedal cycle and my eye is constantly drawn to it.

Otherwise fantastic work as per usual!

Cheers
D.K
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Ha ha! You said 'bike cycle', but I think you got away with it. I agree about the pedal. For me, it wouldn't be a problem if it was just a solid block. Would certainly make life a littel easier, animation-wise. I like the uneven wheels, too -- gives a real sense of moving along that you sometimes miss if the wheels are regular. Great stuff as always...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thank very much you guys. I was animating this bike and get an idea I can't tell now, but it can be very very good. I'll postulate to government arts funding here in Chile, so I have to keep the project in total secret. I hope to give you good news soon.

I fixed the foot, thanks for tell me that, I didn't notice it before. Now I decided to bind each foot to the bone of the pedal, so the feet now are independent to the legs (which now are animated to follow the feet). If you see anything wrong, please tell me.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54411/videos/bici%2010.mov

PD: I love word games, but it's hard to me to make them in English. I was afraid of the "bike cycle" joke, actually. I have not idea how to make word games in other language than spanish.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I like this very much! If you have any idea using this style, you should definitely do it!

Reminded me of my own cyclists: http://www.enigmation.de/qt/biker_24_2.mov. I rigged it starting from the pedal wheel, up to feet and legs. Because the thighs are black it was easy to align that loose end to the body.

The style immediately reminds me of the work of illustrator Herbert Holzing, who is a staple in german children's literature. Unfortunately there's not much of his work online, but I always thought it must be great to animate in that style.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Hey selgin, it is lovely!
I have a question though:
I guess that the plants dynamic is based on bone dynamics. How did you do to make it match the cycle end with the start? It is just luck or did you do something to match the start and end of the cycle form the point of view of the bone dynamics?
-G
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thank you Slowtiger, I really appreciate you like it. I checked Herbert Holzing on google, it has some very nice illustrations, thank you for sharing it.
You rigged your cyclists in a smart way. I decided not to think too much on it, I thought I wouldn't have problems with the pedals and feet, Thought wrong, obviously.
About the project, it will cover several styles, included similar to this one.

Genete, thanks! about the plants, it's all animated by hand, because dynamics doesn't work well with cycles (it has no way of knowing that there is a cycle). All leaves and plants have a simple relative 3 keyframes cycle (left-right-left movement), I moved each leaf cycle on time to get the cycle moving at different times. I had some problems making the overall loop, the animation contains several different cycles of different frame rates. I tried to calculate the least common multiple, but I get missed in all the numbers :roll:. Fortunately, the cycles' jumps fit with the animation and doesn't look too bad, only as if the bike stepped on a stone on the road.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I made another animation for this project. This one is less interesting, but I hope you like it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54411/videos/po ... 0chica.mov
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Really nice. I'm sure your friend who made the print really likes it too.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thanks. I'm at fluorfilms and a nice friend helped me to improve the cycle animation, just for fun.
It's fantastic what AS and After Effect can do together :D
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54411/videos/bi ... sktop2.mov

PD: if you put "father and daughter" short behind it, the music fits perfect :roll:
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
neuromester

Post by neuromester »

This looks great. Really nice work.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Nice, Sielgin, love the whimsical nature or your work here.
KOMBATMATTT

Post by KOMBATMATTT »

smooth animations
chrischristie

Post by chrischristie »

I like how the bicycle seems to be in forward motion and not just stationary with moving parts
Chris
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Whoah. This is nearly perfect already. May I ask how you did that nice flickering effect? In AFX?

The other scene with the tree is equally nice. This style of animation (and these graphics) could be used for some philosophical story, something with lots of emotions. With the right music and sound this could be an instant festival winner. It has a kind of sensibility which you rarely see, especially not with that smooth execution.