Compiling Papagayo from source using OS X

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Paranthropus

Compiling Papagayo from source using OS X

Post by Paranthropus »

I am running into some difficulty, and I was wondering if someone could tell me if I am doing something wrong.

I have installed Python 2.4.1, wxPython 2.6 (compiled for OS X 10.3), and py2app 0.2. The build command I used was "python setup_mac.py py2app". It seemed to work, but upon running the app, I got fatal errors:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "papagayo.py", line 24, in ?
from LipsyncFrame import LipsyncFrame
File "/papagayo_1.1_source/LipsyncFrame.py", line 26, in ?
import lm
File "/papagayo_1.1_source/lm.py", line 5, in ?
import _lm
ImportError: No module named _lm

There is a "_lm.dll" in the source directory, but I had always assumed the ".dll" indicated a Windows library. Any insights as to how I might compile this app?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

You're right, the .dll file is a Windows file. The equivalent Mac file was not included with the source package, but you can download it here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/misc/_lm.so.zip

Un-zip the file above, and replace the "_lm.dll" file with "_lm.so", and you should be ready to go on the Mac.

Post by Guest »

Thanks! Problem solved.

There is another issue: Papagayo will compile now, but crashes when I try to run it. This is probably my fault. I upgraded to Python 2.4, found out this was not necessary, and may have done a rather un-clean uninstall in order to restore the system. The problem is probably with py2app, of which I had two versions sitting around. Oh well, I will get it sorted out.

What I really wanted to do was to expand and redefine the phoneme set. I discovered that this was still possible by digging through my broken Papagayo build to find "phonemes.pyc" (in the "site-packages" zipfile). Just copy phonemes.pyc to the equivalent location in a working Papagayo and, voila! New phonemes!

Papagayo is an excellent lip sync tool. Would it be possible to enable easily user-defined phonemes in a future version?
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

Digging up this dead topic, I find that papagayo uses the 'etc' phoneme for 'th' when I would really prefer it use 'L'. is there a way to change its phoneme mapping? The dictionaries list 'th' as 'th' so there must be a middle interpreter converting to preston blair and not doing it as well as I would like.

Anyone have an idea how I could do this?
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

Lack of replies=No way to do this?

rsoden

Post by rsoden »

Hey Dodgy
I don't know if you have figured this out yet but to change your phonemes on osx use the original downloaded version of papagayo not the source code. I have had no luck building an app from the source code on snow leopard. To change th from etc to L - Right click the app and click show package contents. look under resources, you should only need to modify Phonemes.py open it with text edit change the 'TH' : 'etc' to 'TH' : 'L' Save the file. Delete phonemes.pyc (this a compiled version of the old phonemes and will trump your new phonemes.py)

I have modded my version to now contain 15 phonemes including a TH and CH phoneme, I then use a custom program I wrote to simplify the extra phonemes back down to Preston Blair or other sets.

PM me if you need more help
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

Thanks rsoden, I'll give it a go, that's a big help!