64 bit support

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Wolfo

64 bit support

Post by Wolfo »

Anime Studio is a 32 bit application and works good.
But i see the difference about performance between 32 and 64 bit apps in the Final cut pro 7 and Final cut pro X, the difference feels great in a 64 bit app, a more faster workflow.

Anime Studio is a great application, stable, and i don't have any problem about that, but with 64 bit technology could be more faster, video exports with high detail will be more faster. At least in Mac OS X, i know there are a lot of problems of compatibility in Windows about 32 and 64 bit, but anyone who works in OSX, will not have any problem and will take advantage of 64bit.

I don't have Lion yet, so i don't know if Anime studio is optimized with the new features, but if not, also Lion integration will be great, with full screen app, autosave and versions features will be welcome.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

The major benifit of 64bit. whether you're on a Mac or PC, is the amount of memory the OS can handle.

32 bits OS can handle between 3 and 4 GB of ram, while 64 bits OS can handle much more.

Video processing softwares needs allot of ram to handle the huge amount of footage, Premiere pro is 64 bits for that same reason.

Same goes for 3D software, they need huge amount of ram to handle the massive computations involved in 3D rendering.

Now, if your Moho, or Anime Studio scene does not require more then 3-4 GB of ram, then 64 bits is useless.

I've had this discussion on the unofficial forum about the exact same subject, and some argued that Anime Studio will never be 64 bits, maybe one day it will, but this is not something I think should be prioritized.
Wolfo

Post by Wolfo »

GCharb wrote:The major benifit of 64bit. whether you're on a Mac or PC, is the amount of memory the OS can handle.

32 bits OS can handle between 3 and 4 GB of ram, while 64 bits OS can handle much more.

Video processing softwares needs allot of ram to handle the huge amount of footage, Premiere pro is 64 bits for that same reason.

Same goes for 3D software, they need huge amount of ram to handle the massive computations involved in 3D rendering.

Now, if your Moho, or Anime Studio scene does not require more then 3-4 GB of ram, then 64 bits is useless.

I've had this discussion on the unofficial forum about the exact same subject, and some argued that Anime Studio will never be 64 bits, maybe one day it will, but this is not something I think should be prioritized.
If Safari (Web browser) are built in 64 bit, why not Anime Studio to?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Many free applications are ported to 64 bits, I am not saying that AS should not, but if you port an application, especially a commercial one to 64 bits, then you need to setup support for it, which cost time and money.

If your project does not require more then 3-4 GB of ram, 64 bits will not make things faster.

The question is, does SM think it is worthwhile to go 64 bits with AS!
ponysmasher

Re: 64 bit support

Post by ponysmasher »

Wolfo wrote: But i see the difference about performance between 32 and 64 bit apps in the Final cut pro 7 and Final cut pro X, the difference feels great in a 64 bit app, a more faster workflow.
This is not a fair comparison as Final cut pro X is a totally different program from fcp7. They don't share a single line of code so comparing the two is not just comparing the difference between 32 and 64 bit.

So the difference between Anime studio in 64bit would not be as great.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

You can run up the point count by using everything vector. I was working on a project that was maxing out my memory on my computer. Changing the background to images help but I gave up the scalability.

Dale
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Dale, how much ram you got?

64 bits only makes a difference with 3.5-4 gb or ram or more.

Also, I think that Anime Studio, like most modern application is not really optimized for good memory handling.

It might be best for Mike to optimize then to port it to 64 bits.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

I think After Effects is the only 2D animation program that has a 64-bit version - none of the others do. And that's more compositing than animation.

So if nobody else is doing it, maybe it isn't that useful.

This is a good reference on why 64-bits isn't always a big improvement:

http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/1 ... swhen.html

From the article:

"These days, many 32-bit processors already have math instructions for doing 64-bit fixed point math to the degree most applications need it, and many things are done in floating point. Combine the performance penalty for the data structure size increase with the lack of any sort of other performance win, and the number of situations in which an application being 64-bit are a performance win is very small."
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

64 bits is good for memory mostly, even 3d applications don't use that much of the 64 bits floating points, they do need the extended memory though!

Like I said, if Mike would improve the memory management in AS, I am pretty sure it would make things run smoother.

Illustrator is 32 bits and it can handle huge amount of points so why not AS.

This said, would be nice to be able to use my 16 GB of ram in ASP ;)
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Dale, how much ram you got?

64 bits only makes a difference with 3.5-4 gb or ram or more.

Also, I think that Anime Studio, like most modern application is not really optimized for good memory handling.

It might be best for Mike to optimize then to port it to 64 bits.
I was using a background that had like 3000 points (very detailed from Parker), add in 3 detail characters of four view each (1000 points each view,1000x4x3) around 15000 per shot and I was running out of memory on a 3 gig machine. The project is on hold because I did not like the results. More skill need on my part.

Dale