Spam, spam ,spam, spam....

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jahnocli

Spam, spam ,spam, spam....

Post by jahnocli »

This is a feature request about the forum. I mean, damn!! Can't you stop some of this spam with a captcha or something? Come on -- most of the "threads" I encountered today were spam. That's bad forum maintenance; and don't expect moderators to do everything, that's just unfair...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

I agree!!! :evil:
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Ive banged on about this in the misc forum for donkeys... if someones name ends in 01 I dont read it....sorry binarykid
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I don't post that often, but having to enter a captcha every time ... oh - no thanks... BUT YES PLEASE to a report Spam button (but beware abuse of the flagging system!) or some other mechanism...

why not just filter out anything with "too many" (or odball) embedded URLs; or URLs that are linked to "natural language text" or all "first posts" (with "odd" URLs?) or "many in rapid succession" from the same user ... whatever ...

But would it make more work or less work for the mods if the system put suspect posts in a holding bucket and assumed guilty until proven innocent by a human?

(BTW and OT: Sven's comment about binarykid made me recall: "There are 10 sorts of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't." :D )
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

No, not every time you log on -- but if you want to open a new account. Would at least stop some automated spambots...
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Please DO something about this -- spam today (13th December) is rampant!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

When we instituted an image captcha for registration at the AF we were able to turn automatic approval of new registrations back on. Haven't had any problems since. We use an open source forum software that is highly customizable. An image captcha probably can't be added to this one without migrating to a new version of the software.