Would love...

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mykylr

Would love...

Post by mykylr »

I would love for a sketch layer within anime studio. Where I can just sketch out ideas with a pencil sketch ideas for characters to then trace over.

Also i would love to have pdf import (vector) as it is a format I export most of my drawings in and use across other apps.

Cheers

Mike
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

Would any ole layer work as a sketch layer?
mykylr

Post by mykylr »

Not sure what you mean. At the moment I create drawing in Artrage. then export them then import them into anime studio. That's fine but sometimes I just want to scribble some ideas down directly in Anime Studio (blue sketch lines) and if and when i have something I might want to take further I create a new vector layer and start work on it.

Not interested in color. Just outlines. I played around with toon boom and the ability to scribble some ideas down directly within the software with a tool that acts like a pencil was fantastic.

I have installed the lost doodle tool in AS Pro and its close but too blocky and too slow when upping the resolution (No idea why its so slow.) I have used it to create some 'sketches' to work on and its fine for now but not quite usable enough to allow freeform sketching.

It doesn't need smoothing or anything fancy just the ability to do sketches within AS.

Cheers

Mike
neon22

Post by neon22 »

mykylr wrote:.. sometimes I just want to scribble some ideas down directly in Anime Studio (blue sketch lines) and if and when i have something I might want to take further I create a new vector layer and start work on it. Not interested in color. Just outlines..
Looking at requests in the past this might be summarised as follows:
  • Allow a raster kind of layer where many sketched lines can be drawn with a simple round soft brush and blue/red colour. Used as a reference.
  • Enhance this by creating a vector layer that attempts (then helps the user using editing tools) to create a single vector line for a bunch of drawn lines. Thereby refining rough layers into vectors.
  • An example of why this tool is needed and a working useful tool using the existing vector layers and scripts is here:
    http://lostastools.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... -tool.html
  • Another example using lua bindings to a graphics lib is here:
    viewtopic.php?t=19604
neon22

Post by neon22 »

wrt the drawing tools I have noticed that the line tool does not do so well when trying to draw lines that connect to each other. In a freehand kind of way.

I can see why it is this way - so you can control the curvature at joins and intermediate steps on the line. But drawing a line in several steps does leave you with no way to combine them into a single line.

Summarised as:
The freehand line drawing tool cannot accumulate multiple hand drawn lines into a single line. An enclosed shape made up of several freehand lines is not always detected to be closed.

I'd also like:
Tablet pen support for brush opacity as well as width. Preferably pen angle support as well (tied to the parameter I choose). Perhpas the new mutitouch approach will allow these kinds of enhancements to propagate back into the pen based code.
mykylr

Post by mykylr »

Yup. Those are close. The lost tools I am currently using and the other tool wont work for an osx user like me.

Mike
neon22

Post by neon22 »

mykylr wrote:.. sometimes I just want to scribble some ideas down directly in Anime Studio (blue sketch lines) and if and when i have something I might want to take further I create a new vector layer and start work on it. Not interested in color. Just outlines..
Here's a nice making of as to why this would be useful...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... io_6VS6uwQ
mykylr

Post by mykylr »

Yup. Thats exactly it.

Mike
shift

Post by shift »

I would love if version 8 would bring back the ability to change the angle effects. In 5.6 when I applied a gradient I could adjust the angle I wanted the gradient to flow. In version 8 it's fixed at vertical. That sucks. I can no longer get the desired effects I used to get so easily in a previous version.
mykylr

Post by mykylr »

Not had any issue with that myself in version 8??? I hit Q and then adjust the angle of the gradient with no issue.

Mike