Bone morph dials script

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hey slice. I think we all felt a little like that with too requent version updates at considerable prices... black friday is coming up though, and often they have 50% off sales so keep an eye out for a cheap upgrade. At a discount price, enough was added to 8 to make it worth the upgrade imho... I'm not sure when v9 will come out, but there might be more point releases in v8 before it does?
slice11217

Post by slice11217 »

funksmaname wrote:Hey slice. I think we all felt a little like that with too requent version updates at considerable prices... black friday is coming up though, and often they have 50% off sales so keep an eye out for a cheap upgrade. At a discount price, enough was added to 8 to make it worth the upgrade imho... I'm not sure when v9 will come out, but there might be more point releases in v8 before it does?
just got a facebook update about a point release.
Matsuemon

Yikes!

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey guys,
I'm using a Mac and I'm still on version 7, but I tried installing this script anyway and it made my whole tools menu disappear! So, I had to reinstall. I guess I'm out of luck on version 7, unless it was something I did wrong in the installation, but it seemed pretty straight-forward.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, drop me a line =)

--Jason
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Hey jason, I'm on pc so I don't think I can explain this well. There are two folders in the install one for the menu and one for tool. The tool folder isn't really needed unless you want to set up the bake morph or create morph as buttons in the tool palette, these options are in the menu folder so you can do without them as tools. Normaly you would add these lua. files to the default tool scripts folder and then edit the tool list to add them to the tool palette. It sounds like it replaced the default tool folder instead of merging them. Does this make sense? Also be aware version 7 has a bug that causes crashes with embeded scripts when rendering on multi-core machines.
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

jonbo wrote:Hey jason, I'm on pc so I don't think I can explain this well. There are two folders in the install one for the menu and one for tool. The tool folder isn't really needed unless you want to set up the bake morph or create morph as buttons in the tool palette, these options are in the menu folder so you can do without them as tools. Normaly you would add these lua. files to the default tool scripts folder and then edit the tool list to add them to the tool palette. It sounds like it replaced the default tool folder instead of merging them. Does this make sense? Also be aware version 7 has a bug that causes crashes with embeded scripts when rendering on multi-core machines.
Hey Jonbo, yah it was kind of a two-part issue with me. At first, I pasted the new "scripts" folder into the original scripts folder. At that point, my tool-bar was still visible, but the two extra script buttons which were supposed to be visible, weren't. So then, I figured I should completely replace the original "scripts" folder with the new one, and that's when my toolbar was completely gone. Rudiger wrote me back and said that it really doesn't work very well on version 7 even if you install it correctly (it crashes) so I may just have to bite the bullet and get version 8. But maybe if I hadn't completely replaced that folder, I'd have been ok?
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Yeah Jason, you shouldn't have replaced that folder, just copy and paste the contents of the tool folder into the default tool folder. You need to then edit the tool list in a text editor to get the buttons to work. You can still use this script in AS7 if you bake all your morph animations first and then remove the embedded script before rendering.
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

jonbo wrote:Yeah Jason, you shouldn't have replaced that folder, just copy and paste the contents of the tool folder into the default tool folder. You need to then edit the tool list in a text editor to get the buttons to work. You can still use this script in AS7 if you bake all your morph animations first and then remove the embedded script before rendering.
Ok Jonbo, so basically I don't even need the "menu" folder from the new scripts folder at all, just the "tools" menu, which I copy and paste (the contents) into the original tools menu? How will I know if the script is properly installed?

The other problem is I would have no idea how to go about baking my morphs and removing the imbedded script. I'm a total newbie at scripting haha

UPDATE: Ok Jonbo I did exactly what you said, and now the two tools ARE showing up, woo hoo! But I still am not sure what to do to keep it from crashing. So I guess that's the only thing I need help with now. =)
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

No jason, you need the menu folder not the tool folder. The menu folder has 3 lua. files, the bake morph, the create morph, and the bake morph option lua.s. These and the apply weight embed lua are all you need. If you need help I would be glad to make a video on it.
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

jonbo wrote:No jason, you need the menu folder not the tool folder. The menu folder has 3 lua. files, the bake morph, the create morph, and the bake morph option lua.s. These and the apply weight embed lua are all you need. If you need help I would be glad to make a video on it.
Hey Jonbo, ok I'm seeing all the files you mentioned, four in all. So they are coming out of my "menu" folder and the submenu "morphs". But in the original script folder that is no "morphs" folder but there is a "Script writing" folder. Is that where I'll put those four files?
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Give me about 30 minutes, I make a vid for you, it will be faster then going back and forth.
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

haha ok sorry I'm so clueless about this stuff. I really appreciate all your help, and I'm assuming others will benefit as well :P
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

No problem Jason, glad to be of help. I did this pretty quick, let me know if I didn't explain somethings clearly enough.
Last edited by jonbo on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey Jonbo, ok I'm mostly finished with your tutorial and I think I got everything set up perfectly. The morph options are showing up under the scripts menu now. I haven't actually done the last bit yet where I test it out, but I'll do that either before bed tonight or in the morning. Thanks for the clarification! I understand everything now, including how to keep it from crashing =). If you are wanting to take that tutorial down soon, let me know, and I'll just make sure to go through it tonight before bed. Talk soon

--Jason
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey Jonbo,
Ok I just went through the simple tutorial and a couple of odd things are happening. For one, my AS slows way down, and two, the bone moves but it doesn't change the shape of the ball at all. I have the action created as "fat" and I have the bone named "fat" but something's obviously wrong. So I'll try it again in the morning from scratch and see if I can get it working. Wish me luck :lol:

UPDATE: Hey I got it working! I think originally I named the bone layer Morhdials but I didn't realize it had to be spelled exactly MorhDials. That seems to have fixed it =) Thanks again! I'm really looking forward to diving into some of this over the weekend =)
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Glad to hear you got it working Jason. Yes, the script can cause slow downs on a system, you can use the bake keyframes option and then uncheck the real time morph option in the morph options menu to see your animation in realtime. Then check the option again when you want to make more morphs. I don't know if you have seen them, but forum member funksmaname has some nice tutorials on morph dials. I'll leave mine up for a little while longer in case you need it. Here's a link to funk's tutorials.

http://bit.ly/bOArDw