Get Rid Of Points?

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Matsuemon

Get Rid Of Points?

Post by Matsuemon »

I have a suggestion I think would make things much easier, as far as designing characters. Why not just get rid of points altogether? The lines are already there, and other programs (like Manga Studio, etc) allow you to manipulate vector lines even though there aren't any points on them. That way, you wouldn't have to draw so slowly and keep track of all the points. You just draw and be done with it.
Now, there may be some technical reason that isn't possible in this program that I am not aware of. But I figured I'd throw it out there =)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I'm pretty sure that Manga Studio and other vectorial softwares have points, it's only you can't see them, so that feature hasn't much sense. Anyway, point animation is one of the biggest features of AS, once you get it, you can do fantastic things.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

selgin wrote:I'm pretty sure that Manga Studio and other vectorial softwares have points, it's only you can't see them, so that feature hasn't much sense. Anyway, point animation is one of the biggest features of AS, once you get it, you can do fantastic things.
Hey Selgin,
Well yes I agree point animation is awesome. I was just thinking you could do the same kind of thing by selection points on your lines, without actually having the points there. I know that sounds kind of nonsensical, but it's just a pain having to worry about the exact number of points between your side view and front view character, for instance (or as I understand it, the interpolation won't work correctly)

Anyway, was just a thought =P
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Matsuemon wrote:I was just thinking you could do the same kind of thing by selection points on your lines, without actually having the points there. I know that sounds kind of nonsensical, but it's just a pain having to worry about the exact number of points between your side view and front view character, for instance (or as I understand it, the interpolation won't work correctly)
Oh, actually I think switch layers are not the best solution for morphing things or simulate rotations. I prefer to use actions, which are much more powerful than switches and you can add or remove points anytime you want (you must adjust the new point position on each action, but you don't lose the morphing).
Keep the switch layers for simple things like blinks or different hands, but do the hard work with actions (and blend morph), that's my advice.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey Selgin,
Oh my god, I didn't know you didn't have to worry about matching up the number of points if you are doing actions!! Actions is always how I do head/body turns, but I thought you still had to keep track of the points. GREAT!! Thanks for the huge clarification =)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Matsuemon wrote:Hey Selgin,
Oh my god, I didn't know you didn't have to worry about matching up the number of points if you are doing actions!! Actions is always how I do head/body turns, but I thought you still had to keep track of the points. GREAT!! Thanks for the huge clarification =)
wait, wait, the number of points can't vary in all the animation. What I wanted to say it's easier to add points to a unique layer and fix the actions than making it in all the layers inside the switch.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

selgin wrote:
Matsuemon wrote:Hey Selgin,
wait, wait, the number of points can't vary in all the animation. What I wanted to say it's easier to add points to a unique layer and fix the actions than making it in all the layers inside the switch.
haha oh ok I see. Makes sense =)