Follow Path Issue.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

shift

Follow Path Issue.

Post by shift »

I am having an issue with following a path in anime studio pro 8. I'm missing something. I have a car I want to follow a path. The origin is set at the front of the car where the engine would be. I click on the path and the car gets offset by a lot. I have to zoom out to find it. I have no idea why the car won't appear at the start of the line. Image
hayasidist

Re: Follow Path Issue.

Post by hayasidist »

is the car layer set to "rotate to follow path"?

have you moved (translated) the car layer so that its origin is at the start of the path to follow?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Check with selected translate tool (1) if the car's Z value is 0.
shift

Post by shift »

@Hayasadist Yes it is set to rotate to follow path and yes I have tried moving (translating) the origin of car layer at the start of the line.
@slowtiger yes the z is set to zero.

The thing is that the car is a grouped composite of different layers. Not sure if that makes a difference.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

hmm?! just tried follow path with a group layer - seems to be ok.. is your "start percentage" 0?.. is the group layer origin at the "zero" point on the path?

or upload the file and I (or someone) will take a look.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I did a bunch of follow path when testing one of my scripts and encountered this. There is something happening when you have a combination of layer translation AND layer origin offset.

Make both of those zero first. Then adjust layer origin ONLY after assigning the follow path. follow path will always offset with translation. So make the ORIGIN offset compensate for the zero point of the layer. Don't have both.

Also it seems you may get different results if you move the layer origin/translation BEFORE assigning to a path. Do adjustments after.

Zero Layer Translation
Change Layer Origin

edit:
Okay, when you change layer origin this will always stick in layer translation values. The key is to have ZERO translation with whatever value you need for layer origin to get it where you want.

-vern
shift

Post by shift »

@Hayadist No my percentage is not Zero. Will set it to zero and try again.

@heyvern Thanks for that detailed post. If hayadist's suggestion doesn't work I'll be sure to try yours. Either way great knowledge from both of you. :D