The Animator’s Survival Kit for iPad

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

The Animator’s Survival Kit for iPad

Post by funksmaname »

Whenever the question 'what books should I get for learning animation?' comes up - everyone's no1 answer is Richard Williams' The Animator’s Survival Kit.
Check this out if you have an iPad. It's not cheap but is probably the most animation knowledge bang for buck you're ever likely to find :)

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/04/29/r ... sterpiece/
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: The Animator’s Survival Kit for iPad

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I tried the demo some days ago in a friend's ipad (I don't own any related to apple gadget, just because it's evil :roll:) and it looks awesome. The book is really cool, the dvd looks great, but this version is really the definitive one.
It actually made me consider buying an ipad (but I won't, because it's evil :roll:). If you have one (I don't) I really recommend you to try it and buy it. Really.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Joofville

Post by Joofville »

I have to agree with funksmaname. I have this book and it's one of the best animation books available. If you're serious about animating this book is a must.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I agree with everybody (!) It looks like a great app, but Apple is the North Korea of hardware and software development. Just sayin', is all.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Their gadgets are great, but their busyness practices are a dictatorship.
"and then Man created god!"
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Speaking of Apple gadgets. I own none and only tried to use my sister's ipad once. I was going to hook up my camera to it but guess what, no USB. I gave it back to my sister and told her to throw it away.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

In my own defense, as a web designer, the only reason I got an iPad was because we had no mac environment at all to test sites on (we use PCs). I have to say it is pretty good and I've enjoyed having it ... through lack of choice for business reasons I can't take an ethical stand :roll:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I really don't understand all the anger and hatred for Apple products.

These are simply... things you can buy.. or not buy. You don't have to buy them. No one is forcing you to buy them. There are other similar products to choose instead. If you don't like Apple then don't buy their stuff. You could find just as many evil things about all the other competing products.

Apple isn't inherently evil. They simply make products that some people like to use and others don't. They are simply tools to get a job done.

Android dominates smart phone market share now and Windows mobile is picking up speed in some countries. If it weren't for Apple's initial dominance of the smart phone market those systems may not exist or be as good as they are. Apple's successes regardless of the reason or if it is deserved, push other companies to innovate.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I agree, I just always had a problem with people's irrational apple worship (and apple hatred in equal measure).
There are stories about unethical working conditions in their fabrication plants etc, but I don't know enough about it to comment, and that may well be the case for many manufacturers. In fact my reasons for not going Mac earlier was more as a stand against the brainwashing 'cult of mac' worship!

...Also, I eat meat... what can you do?

:)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

heyvern wrote:I really don't understand all the anger and hatred for Apple products.

These are simply... things you can buy.. or not buy. You don't have to buy them. No one is forcing you to buy them. There are other similar products to choose instead. If you don't like Apple then don't buy their stuff. You could find just as many evil things about all the other competing products.

Apple isn't inherently evil. They simply make products that some people like to use and others don't. They are simply tools to get a job done.

Android dominates smart phone market share now and Windows mobile is picking up speed in some countries. If it weren't for Apple's initial dominance of the smart phone market those systems may not exist or be as good as they are. Apple's successes regardless of the reason or if it is deserved, push other companies to innovate.
Just expressing an opinion (I thought light-heartedly, but I guess you can't hit every target). I thought you guys had some amendment about freedom of speech, anyway?
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Don't make me turn this car around :!: I'll do it .... I WILL :!:
Adam
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I don't have an iPad yet, but I have the book and would LOVE to have a copy of this in digital format. Size is a bit high. Might mean getting the "Big" iPad.

--------------
:) Sorry jahnocli, wasn't picking out one person, EVERY post on this topic had nothing to do with the subject. They were all just attacks on Apple. I thought it was a tad unfair to not see some alternate views.

The Apple fringe "fan-boys" are freaking annoying (experienced first hand applying for job at Apple Store... idiot zombies) but so are the fringe haters on the other side. I was just trying to put in a different view. It makes me sad that I get associated with those mindless zombie fans of Mac stuff just daring to defend it.

(By the way, to whom it may concern... Apple isn't the only company abusing workers. They all get components made in China, flat screens, chips, etc etc.)

I may have to become a nudist. Hard enough finding computer equipment that doesn't violate human rights, try finding a pair of pants not made in a sweat shop. :) I just hope the next generation of 3D prototypers can make pants.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

I've purchased 3 Imacs since the Commodore Amiga died, I enjoy using the machines better than the windows pc, but the way they guard their OS, or god forbid any other company tries to build a Mac clone, or anything resembling their products. Apple will squash them like a bug.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

As far as going nudist, you should get going while the going is good, for it wont be long before the industrialized countries automate the garment sector, then those poor exploited souls will be replaced by robots. :)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

F.M. wrote:As far as going nudist, you should get going while the going is good, for it wont be long before the industrialized countries automate the garment sector, then those poor exploited souls will be replaced by robots. :)
Ha ha! I can just see it now -- "Robots ate my shorts" -- available only at iTunes...

...and Vern, my beef wasn't with exploiting workers in far-off lands (everybody seems to be doing that -- it's the unacceptable face of globalisation), but the "central economy" model of development: the "my way or the highway" approach. That's what my North Korea analogy was about. Although when you start having to explain it, you start to realize that maybe it wasn't very good in the first place!