LIST OF SUGGESTIONS

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dkwroot

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS

Post by dkwroot »

==========================================================
INTRODUCTION AND UPDATES
LAST UPDATED: 6/03/2015

I updated now that AS 11 has been released. My list is getting shorter and shorter. :D

GUI IMPROVEMENTS
++ Make the Icons larger and reduce the toolbar to 2 lines. This will make the program more functional and more aesthetically pleasing.

++ Update all of the icons for a more sleek and professional appearance.

++ Split the canvas into two color regions. The area within the camera view should default to white and the area outside of the camera view should be dark.

++ Add a bar to the right of the canvas like Photoshop. The user could then access panels like Actions, Layer Properties and Swatches the side panel.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS
++ Add bone groups.

++ Add the ability to attach a layer's Z-Depth position to a Bone Z-Depth position. This will make moving body parts in front of and behind other objects easier.

++ Add "REAL Z-DEPTH" layer ordering. This means that all layers are ordered based on their global Z-Depth, regardless of their nesting.

++ Add the ability to give a bone a default interpolation type. For example, a user might want a smartbone to always animate on step without having to manually set it to step every time they switch to it.

++ Add the ability to drive smartbone actions with bone position/scale

++ Add the ability to blend actions together using corrective actions. (I described this earlier)

++ Give us the option to break layer references for groups without breaking the referencing of layers nested in the group.

++ Add the ability to lock a layer from being modified or expanded.

++ Add the ability to show/hide specific layer types within the layers panel.

++ Add compression to IK stretching.

++ Improve tools that allow users to position objects in 3d space. It should be easier to move objects on a constrained axes and rotate them around specific axes.

++ Allow the user to set the stroke for an object to only appear on one side of the stroke line. This makes strokes more sharp and crisp.

++ Allow click and drag across layer eye icons to hide or reveal layers. (photoshop does this)

++ Add a GRID to 3d space.

++ Add the ability to keyframe style changes.

++ Add svg export.
Last edited by dkwroot on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:19 am, edited 58 times in total.
dkwroot

Re: LIST OF SUGGESTIONS

Post by dkwroot »

-EDITED
Last edited by dkwroot on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

--EDITED--
Last edited by dkwroot on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potoroo

Post by Potoroo »

dkwroot wrote:- Add the ability for users to set the interval for the timeline ruler. Some animators like to animate at 25 fps and the ability to set the ruler to display on 5's would be nice.
I'm so glad someone else wants this.
eric1223

Post by eric1223 »

dkwroot wrote: - Add better drawing tools, like Flash. At the moment, it's very difficult to make Animatics in Anime Studio because AS has very poor drawing tools.

Definitely this. First off, with the free hand tool. It makes too many verticies when you have a really sharp curve(especially when taking the pen off the tablet). if ur using auto weilding, and trying to restart the line, the create shape tool wont reconize and fill if you choose the wrong vertex. Sometimes, it would even make a double line. If I'm drawing, I don't want to turn auto wielding off because it would be very tedious to put the pin down to have to weild points. I suggest making a free hand option to either add or subtract more verticie when you draw, and make the final vertex a different color so that we don't get confused
videodv

Post by videodv »

First off, with the free hand tool. It makes too many verticies when you have a really sharp curve(especially when taking the pen off the tablet
You can modify the free hand tool so it makes less verticies, I have and it works fine.

Regards
Chris.
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

There, the list has been updated, condensed and improved. :D
jercook@comcast.net

Post by jercook@comcast.net »

I would find the ability to have an expanded section of the timeline so when looking at a large frame span, the area around the current frame would show individual frames for 5 or 10 frames, or so, in either direction.
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

I added a 'new' API segment as I'm currently adding improvements to the tools.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

dkwroot wrote:
1 Add compression to IK stretching.

2 Add the ability for users to set the interval for the timeline ruler. Some animators like to animate at 25 fps and the ability to set the ruler to display on 5's would be nice.

3 Allow click and drag across layer eye icons to hide or reveal layers. (photoshop does this)

4 Users should have buttons on the timeline window and the windows to the left and right of the canvas that when clicked with collapse or expand them to give the user more access to precious canvas space.
I agree with most of your requests, but have some comments for this 5.

1- Actually, with a trick, you can get bone compression. Set a very high Maximum IK stretching for the bone. Now, in frame zero, select and scale it to 0.1 (or similar). Don't use the mouse, write the number in the toolbar.
Now you have "single bone Squash/Stretch for target bones"

2- It changed in 10.1, now the intervals change depending of the frames per second of your project.

3- It would be nice to have that feature, but in the meanwhile you can Alt+Click the eye to isolate that layer (I tell you just in the case you don't know it)

4- Agree. In the meanwhile, there is a useful feature: If you press ` in the keyboard (the key at the left of "1"), all the windows will disappear until you press it again. It's specially useful for drawing.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

I updated for AS11.