Grid Offset

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Grid Offset

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi,

I find myself using the the Grid often when creating and rigging characters or when aligning items during animation. This works well except when the grid position doesn't exactly line up the the items and I wind up 'eyeballing' the alignment anyway. So, what I'd like to see in ASP is the ability to offset the Grid. Ideally, this feature would be interactive, like moving a layer, rather than a numerical input only tool.

Currently, when I need to offset a grid, I import my own grid image as a layer, set the layer blend mode to multiply, and then offset it using the Transform tool. That works okay but it's a lot of steps for something that could be a simple 'click and drag' operation in the program using the built-in Grid system.

If possible, what would be useful in addition to the above, is the ability to drag out 'Guides' like we have in Photoshop.

Thanks for listening! :D

G.
Greenlaw

Re: Grid Offset

Post by Greenlaw »

I was comparing item placement of items and characters between two scene files and getting very confused by what I was seeing--then I realized that the grid scale can change between layers, which made it useless for such comparisons. Can we have the option to lock the grid size to be constant relative to the render size? For now I'm making my own grid overlays and importing them but it would very helpful to be able to set this up directly in the program like you can with the current grid settings.

Thanks for listening.

G.
Celticblade

Re: Grid Offset

Post by Celticblade »

I must admit I use the grid a lot and I think the a universal grid would be a great help. A grid that you can "snap" to from any layer. I find it really difficult to when you save an item to the library, which you then bring into another file and you have to rescale it especially in a new drawing where there is no real fixed reference points.