2d door like 3d

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Kosafwc

2d door like 3d

Post by Kosafwc »

Ok, so I managed to composite a 3d like door, made of vector layers in a group. But I have several issues that I can't get rid off.
This is how it looks (I made it slow opening so you can observe errors).

The anme file is in here: http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/1175291/file.html

So the issues are:

1. The door vanishes behind the wall at some point, but I don't know why. I checked the Z values and depth sorting but it seems to be ok.
2. Sometimes it looks like the door surface was transparent. You see the edges through it. But it shouldn't be visible. I.e at the begining, you can see the door edge, but it should be covered with the very front layer.

The second thing is perspective. I have a feeling that in the front position, as the door are open they are too big. Any idea how to fix that? Or is it just my imagination and it looks like it should?

Thanks for answers.
neeters_guy

Re: 2d door like 3d

Post by neeters_guy »

After tinkering with your file, I have some suggestions.
To fix the vanishing door problem
In top group "scena" layer setting, under the Depth Sort tab:
Uncheck "Sort layers by depth", check "Enable animated layer order".
Under General tab: Check "Allow animated layer effects".
To fix the perspective
Change the camera zoom to 35, and camera position z = 4.
The camera settings are tricky, more technical than I can explain, but I believe forum member hayasidist has discussed this elsewhere in depth.

I didn't have time to experiment with the edge problem, but maybe someone else can suggest something.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

I`m not quite sure, but I think that you`re able to "see through" the door since the edge is actually coming behind the camera.
Just in order to simplify - if this scene is taken with the camera in the real world, the door would hit the camera. (you may have almost the same shot with the normal and telescopic lenses but with the later ones, you may be pretty far away from the object)

Again, it relates with the camera settings and it can be tricky when 3d objects are involved, due to the origin points and calculations of the rotation, depth of the field...
Kosafwc

Post by Kosafwc »

Ok thanks neeter_guy it all worked out perfectly! :)

Maestral - I've changed the camera zoom and Z-value. If it was as you've suggested the problem should have vanished. I think at least :) But the problem with the edges is still occuring. Any ideas there? :)
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

I should have seen it before, at the 0:02 the door`s "sideview" upper corner stays in the frame so it leaves room just for a layer order
Door_corr.mp4
Kosafwc

Post by Kosafwc »

Ok so what is the exact solution to that edge problem? In other words what did you do to make it work? :D
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Careful layer ordering ,))

If you follow neeters_guy`s walk-through on how to apply layer ordering, you`d be able to rearrange layers and make that "edge" visible when needed. Bare in mind that you`ll have to change the order of layers more than once since those which are at the top on the beginning of the scene are at the bottom, at the ending of the scene.]

Take three key positions as a reference - beginning/closed door, middle one (where you see only "edge") and the ending/open door. Be patient and careful - and all should get in order ,)
Kosafwc

Post by Kosafwc »

Ok but strange thing now. It looks like the layer order channel disappeard. When I move layers during the door opening process, there are no keyframes being made. So in fact I can't order layers ;/

could you send your anme file? Maybe I'll dig the problem out :)

EDIT: OK I've figured it out. I had to change the "drzwi" group property in depth sort, from "sort layers by depth" into "enable animated layer order" :)

Thanks Everyone! :)