Import Storyboard Reference Images

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Import Storyboard Reference Images

Post by Greenlaw »

I often import my storyboard images for drawing reference or for timing purposes. One issue that keeps bugging me is that no matter which order I batch select my images, Anime Studio Pro will import the sequence to the layers window in reverse order.

For example, I have a three panel storyboard sequence for a scene in my current film numbered s018-01, s018-02 and s018-03. When I import the images, it doesn't matter if I group select them in progressive order, reverse order, or completely randomly, ASP will always import them layered from top to bottom as s018-03, s018-02 and s018-01. Then I have to manually re-sequence the images in the desired order s018-01, s018-02 and s018-03. For a couple of SB panels, this doesn't seem like such a big deal but it becomes tedious when working from scene to scene with much longer sequences. Besides, this appears to be a unnecessary annoyance.

If this feature could be changed so that the images are imported in progressive order or maybe in the order the images are selected in the file requester, that would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for listening. :)

G.
Maestral

Re: Import Storyboard Reference Images

Post by Maestral »

Would it be acceptable for you to use Scripts/Image/Import image sequence?

That way you`ll surely keep images in proper order.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

No, for some reason that doesn't work at all for me. What I get is a Switch layer with a big red X and a single empty image layer with a big red X. Maybe it's because of the file naming convention of the storyboard frames? Or does this script only recognize a specific image fie format?

The storyboard frames were originally output from Toon Boom Storyboard Pro and they load fine with the native importer, just consistently in reverse sequence regardless of selection order.

Also, there are times when I want to import only a specific selection of SB frames, and not the entire sequence. If I understand the function of the script you mentioned, it seems to be designed to import all frames in a sequence after selecting the first frame, which isn't what I would want in this situation.

But thanks for the suggestion. I was hopeful and it was worth the try. :)

G.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I just looked up the script in the manual and, as I guessed, the issue has to do with naming convention. Unfortunately, it would be even less productive for me to rename every storyboard sequence and panel just to suite this script.

I'm still hopeful that a change will come in the native importer in a future release. This request seems like a trivial change to make, and the behavior will make the importer consistent with how it works in many other animation/compositing/editing programs that allow you multi-select files on import.

G.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Well, sorry - I should have mentioned switch layer, but renaming is not quite that much troublesome, right? Though, I`m on Win and I use directoryOpus as a substitute for the native win Explorer - where dOpus has a batch rename option - that`s why I don`t see it as a problem ,) Not sure if there`s such an option for win Explorer nor if you`re on Win at all.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

You can try this to rename everything at once.

Make a copy of the folder because you can not undo what I am going to tell you just in case it does not work for you.

Open the new copied folder and click on the edit tab/select all.

Now click on the file tab and select rename.

It will look like it just asked to rename the 1st image.

Now rename that image to some thing like 1.jpg.

hit enter

All the images should now look like 1(1).jpg, 1(2).jpg. etc.

Again DO NOT DO THIS ON THE ORIGINAL FOLDER BECAUSE IT SOMETIMES MISSES SOME OF THE IMAGES.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks for the suggestions and no need to apologize. The image sequence script is just not the solution I'm looking for. Renaming the various storyboard scene and panel numbers to use the images sequence script is just replacing one extra set of steps with another extra set of steps. Plus, I don't really want to rename/renumber the files because the filenames correlate directly to the SB, animatic and X-sheet.

I'm simply putting in a request to the developer to be able to make a selection of images (possibly an arbitrary selection) import to ASP layered in the order as selected. (At the very least, have it not import images in reverse order since that doesn't appear to serve any useful purpose.) It's a fairly standard file requester operation in many animation/video editing/compositing programs.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Don`t get me wrong, I`m with you on that request and I also recognize it as a basic function (missing).

On the other hand, I`m familiar with importing storyboard(s) in ASP and I use it through the image sequence script and switch layers - that`s why I suggested it. I think the problem about renaming could be just a few "special" characters (like "-" or "/" or similar). I`m sure there`s a possibility to rename files on Win (random g. search result - Bulk Rename Utl.) so you could preserve the most of the given nomenclature while being able to proceed with the desired workflow in ASP. It`s not that much of a workaround, since it can be automated, right?

* by renaming, I mostly refer to "replace" function in renaming, where certain character is replaced with another.
(i.e. s018-01 / s018 01)