Adding files to a bone layer

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ulrikhunskjaer

Adding files to a bone layer

Post by ulrikhunskjaer »

Hi guys,

I have drawn a cool character in AS.
I drew all the layers, and didn't start by creating a bone layer.
Now, when I try to move the layers into the bone layer, the layers gets scrambled all over the place. :x

How do I get the vectors layer into my bone layer without them getting scrambled? :lol:
AmigaMan

Re: Adding files to a bone layer

Post by AmigaMan »

What do you mean by scrambled? If you shift select all the layers and drag them into the bone layer they should be in the correct layer order as originally created.
ulrikhunskjaer

Post by ulrikhunskjaer »

Thank you for the answer :)

Frustated about the error, I closed AS yesterday and when I opened it again this morning, it all worked.
I guess it was just a bug :)
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Ah that's lucky :D Good to hear you are sorted now anyway.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

This probably isn't related but occasionally I find ASP creates layers in seemingly arbitrary positions that's off from the expected default position. (It's probably not arbitrary but I have yet to figure out what causes this.)

Anyway, the offset will make it appear that shapes are moving from their intended positions when you change layer positions (or more specifically, change the hierarchy.) As a rule of thumb, I try make sure a layer is at its actual default position before drawing in it. If you start off with the layer in its real default position, all elements drawn in that position should line up even when you change its hierarchical position. Following this, when a new layer looks off, you should be able to reset it by clicking the reset buttons on the tool bar. If you draw elements while the layer is off-position or off-scale, it can become a real pain to correct later on if you need to animate layer positions or want to reuse elements in other scenes.

BTW, does anyone know why the position is sometimes offset when you create a new layer?

G.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Greenlaw wrote: BTW, does anyone know why the position is sometimes offset when you create a new layer? G.
usually because the camera has moved and you have "Auto center new layers" checked in Preferences?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks! That could be it...I'll check it out.

Edit: Yeah, Auto Center is enabled. TBH, I wasn't even aware of this feature until you pointed it out. I see how it can be useful sometimes but with my work habits, it seems to cause problems. I'll try working with it disabled for a while to see if this works better for me. Thanks again for the tip. :)

G.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

yeah - me too... I turn if off and leave it off...