svg export

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

otonal

svg export

Post by otonal »

as there is already an import, a decent svg export would be very welcome
psaldari

Re: svg export

Post by psaldari »

Another vote here.
It's absurd that you can import but you can't export SVG files.

Paolo
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

I`m so eager to hear what would be the purpose of svg export.
I mean, if you need svg you`ll use some of the graphic tools, but why or what would make you dependable of svg export, while you have an option for exporting bitmaps in desirable sizes (and there are some camera tools which could make exporting the specific portion of the frame/animation even more precise and manageable).
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

SVG import is simply an extension of the other "vector" imports like eps and Adobe Illustrator. The math to import AI files is basically the same as SVG, they both use the same types of curves and have the same issues.

Workaround
You can export vector format from Anime Studio using the Flash/swf export. Export to swf and open in Flash player and then print. Flash player has a print feature. Then instead of printing you save to PDF. This is VECTOR information. Any program that can open PDF as vector format can open this.

I use this trick to convert to vector from Anime Studio all the time. It is however, a bit easier on the mac because PDF export from the print dialog is built in to the OS. I think on Windows you have to install a "gizmo" to export to PDF. I also have Adobe Illustrator which opens PDFs directly. I am not sure what applications can open PDF this way.

To use this trick you do NOT need Flash. I use to use Flash instead of printing to PDF, but Adobe changed Flash and won't allow importing of SWF files.

I just finished another logo drawn mostly in Anime Studio and then exported to vector pdf via Flash and finished up in Adobe Illustrator.
llamapixel

Post by llamapixel »

I would love this feature as well.
It's solid green at the moment for compatability.
http://caniuse.com/#feat=svg

As for animation sequences, I have no insights - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapha%C3% ... library%29

Update #1

At the moment batch export to SWF is a way to get your vector at least out and then onto something else.
lane

Post by lane »

The purpose and growing market of SVG export is the need for scalable graphics and animations that do not take MBs of data that video takes (i.e. mobile). This is why Flash Player got as popular as it did; yes, it was also due to other factors, but being able to deliver vector data, especially animation, that was a fraction of pixel data sizes also played a huge role.

[Interactive] Web development has moved out of Flash, but the need for svg/vector animations is just as strong, and even more so now with mobile where you want as much "bang for you buck" in the smallest package as possible. Grant Skinner recently did a talk at FITC about building the Dragon Age Interactive Story website for Bioware, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZjsZuLSUCY which summarizes these points perfectly using svg assets and rendering (through canvas and webgl). The perfect use case is to create animations within ASP and then push it through MotionArtist as svg as an ideal workflow.

Currently, there is no other tool that covers this completely, even Flash Pro is just breaking into it, using CreateJS Export directly within Flash and now supporting exporting to WebGL. The only other tool outside of Flash that provides any type of pipeline is Blender > Freestyle > SVG export, but there is a large disconnect moving from vector illustration software to 3D.

My use case is taking vector illustrations, animate them, then push it to EaselJS, PixieJS, ThreeJS or PaperJS (http://paperjs.org) to create interactivity for web sites and games that can scale to any device, from mobile to retina displays and the wide range of sizes in-between.