3DCutOut - A New Fully 2,5D Animation System inside 3DS Max

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

iwansuryo

3DCutOut - A New Fully 2,5D Animation System inside 3DS Max

Post by iwansuryo »

It has been born a new fully 2,5D Animation System as a plugin inside 3DS Max. Its name is 3DCutout http://3dcutout.com/

Their animation method is very promising. It fills a gap between 2D and 3D system, in a very artistic ways. You can see its demo at Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPP6Nxl ... Y7LHcHJl1U

When I see at a glance, 3DCutout has very similar concept with Celaction2D. If you have 3DS Max license, it will be more advantageous to use it than Celaction.
synthsin75

Re: 3DCutOut - A New Fully 2,5D Animation System inside 3DS

Post by synthsin75 »

Nothing in the demo that AS can't do using switches, actions, and smart bones. It may be better than Celaction2D though, at least being able to create assets.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

The Foundry has announced some sort of 2D coming soon...

MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

InfoCentral wrote:The Foundry has announced some sort of 2D coming soon...
Looks like simple motion graphics.
Andy Blazdell

Post by Andy Blazdell »

iwansuryo wrote:When I see at a glance, 3DCutout has very similar concept with Celaction2D. If you have 3DS Max license, it will be more advantageous to use it than Celaction.
Well I guess we must be doing something right, if people are using us as the apex benchmark for cut-out animation and comparing us to a package that costs $3675 (+ $250 for the plugin). :)

And referring to us in a post on another software's forum. :)
synthsin75 wrote:It may be better than Celaction2D though, at least being able to create assets.
There are bitmap and vector drawing tools in 3DS Max now? :shock:

Thanks, synthsin75, for using the word "may". :D

The reason we don't have drawing tools in CelAction2D is to give people a choice. For bitmaps, Photoshop, Painter, GIMP and TV Paint all work in different ways, and some people prefer one over the other (or require certain features to get the style they want). Same thing with vectors - Illustrator and Flash both have very different workflows.

So what's the best thing to do to accommodate everyone? It's impossible to create a perfect drawing tool that allows people to do everything that the above software can do - some of the workflows are contradictory to each other. We're certainly not going to put in a rudimentary tool set just to tick a box on a feature comparison chart.

The next best thing is to allow compatibility with as many other drawing tools as possible, which is what we have chosen to do. I have yet to meet anyone who didn't already have access to a drawing program that wasn't compatible with CelAction2D.

In any case, the point of CelAction2D is to split the drawing process from the animation process - as soon as animators have to stop and draw something, their speed immediately plummets to that of traditional animators. By keeping the processes in separate programs, we further encourage that split. You also need fewer animators who can actually draw in the style of the show (which opens up job opportunities for many more animators).

Remember, CelAction2D is designed for maximum productivity - that means our target clients are production companies doing big expensive TV series. They need the work compartmentalised. It may not be so much fun for someone working on their own, having to be organised and jump between different packages, but that's not our intended market.

Anyway, I now return you to your scheduled discussion. Forgive me for taking this opportunity to clarify statements made about our product.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Andy Blazdell wrote:Well I guess we must be doing something right, if people are using us as the apex benchmark for cut-out animation and comparing us to a package that costs $3675 (+ $250 for the plugin). :)
Oh, some may thing it fairs well against a 3D app attempting 2D (which has always been lack-luster), but even your price point is a joke when Anime Studio doesn't cost much more than the plugin for that 3D app.
The reason we don't have drawing tools in CelAction2D is to give people a choice. For bitmaps, Photoshop, Painter, GIMP and TV Paint all work in different ways, and some people prefer one over the other (or require certain features to get the style they want). Same thing with vectors - Illustrator and Flash both have very different workflows.

So what's the best thing to do to accommodate everyone? It's impossible to create a perfect drawing tool that allows people to do everything that the above software can do - some of the workflows are contradictory to each other. We're certainly not going to put in a rudimentary tool set just to tick a box on a feature comparison chart.

The next best thing is to allow compatibility with as many other drawing tools as possible, which is what we have chosen to do. I have yet to meet anyone who didn't already have access to a drawing program that wasn't compatible with CelAction2D.
And? Raster output is raster output. Any software (including the $50 AS Debut) that can import raster can do so from all of those software as well. And Anime Studio imports SVG, AI, and layered PSD as well. But for almost a fourth of the price of CelAction, Anime Studio also has native asset creation tools (which are optimized for animation in AS). Perhaps if CelAction offered a unique or innovative way to animate, native asset creation tools would be more than "just to tick a box on a feature comparison chart".
Remember, CelAction2D is designed for maximum productivity - that means our target clients are production companies doing big expensive TV series.
Hence the ridiculous price point for people who don't value anything they consider "cheap".
Anyway, I now return you to your scheduled discussion. Forgive me for taking this opportunity to clarify statements made about our product.
You've clarified nothing. You've only made a sales spiel.
Andy Blazdell

Post by Andy Blazdell »

synthsin75 wrote:your price point is a joke when Anime Studio doesn't cost much more than the plugin for that 3D app.
Nowhere in my post did I compare our price with Anime Studio's price. In fact, I often recommend Anime Studio to people who don't need what CelAction2D can do - probably far more often than I should. :)
synthsin75 wrote:But for almost a fourth of the price of CelAction, Anime Studio also has native asset creation tools (which are optimized for animation in AS).
Price points are price points - we're not the most expensive software out there, and we're not the cheapest. We don't compete on price. What we do try to give is value for money, so that you can earn more than enough money to pay for our software. This is why we target professionals, not hobbyists.
synthsin75 wrote:Perhaps if CelAction offered a unique or innovative way to animate, native asset creation tools would be more than "just to tick a box on a feature comparison chart".
We have plenty of "unique" and "innovative" features - we wouldn't have any customers if we didn't. Do you really think our clients haven't evaluated other software on the market? In the cases where we are the best tool for the job, we get the sale (except in those situations where companies are forced to use what their co-production partners are using).
synthsin75 wrote:Hence the ridiculous price point for people who don't value anything they consider "cheap".
Trust me, even the big companies still try to get software as cheap as possible. :)
synthsin75 wrote:You've clarified nothing. You've only made a sales spiel.
To be fair, you made a sweeping comment about asset creation, and all I've done is explained our reasoning behind not including it. I'm sorry if you think that's "sales spiel" (but if you'd actually seen me in full "sales spiel" mode, you'd see the difference :) ).
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Who said you compared your price to AS? I didn't, because I made the comparison myself. It is quite obvious that you "don't compete on price". And try reading what is actually written. I didn't say '"unique" and "innovative" features'. I said "unique or innovative way to animate". What features CelAction does have are easily done in Anime Studio for a fourth of the price, and the unique and innovative way to animate in Anime Studio (that the native asset creation tools are made for) cannot be done in CelAction, period. This all dodges my actual point, that maybe asset creation tools would be more crucial to CelAction IF it was unique in how it animated those assets.

It should be clear by now that I am well-aware of why CelAction has no need for asset creation tools, hence nothing having been clarified.
Andy Blazdell

Post by Andy Blazdell »

synthsin75 wrote:Who said you compared your price to AS?
I didn't actually accuse anyone of saying that - I merely stated that I hadn't mentioned it to highlight the fact that you brought it up out of nowhere to support your argument.
synthsin75 wrote:And try reading what is actually written.
Indeed. :)
synthsin75 wrote:This all dodges my actual point, that maybe asset creation tools would be more crucial to CelAction IF it was unique in how it animated those assets.
I see what you're saying, but is any successful software truly unique and innovative nowadays? Aren't they all just doing variations of the same techniques? The more unique and innovative you go, the less compatible you are with other software, and the harder you are to learn, and the less likely you are to be adopted in an enterprise environment. Every software has strengths and weaknesses. That's why choice is good.

Do Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema4D and Blender all have unique and innovative ways to animate? Or do they just have feature sets that focus on different areas, and amongst those feature sets do they show uniqueness and innovation? How about Chrome. Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer? Do they have unique and innovative ways to surf the net?
synthsin75 wrote:It should be clear by now that I am well-aware of why CelAction has no need for asset creation tools, hence nothing having been clarified.
It's clear that you've made your mind up about CelAction2D. :) Which is fine, as you are not in the market segment we are targeting (i.e. production companies making large TV series for major broadcasters).

I didn't come here to criticise any other software or proselytise our own - I came here to put across our reasoning for doing something that you implied was the wrong thing to do. Some people will agree with our reasoning, some people won't. But at least they're better informed so they can make a better choice for what suits their way of working.

So why don't we leave it at that? :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Here, I'll unpack this for you. This thread is about 3DCutOut, not CelAction. You came into this thread by dishonestly misappropriating posts as somehow showing CelAction is a positive light, when the barest comparison was made. You took this statement:
If you have 3DS Max license, it will be more advantageous to use it than Celaction.
And YOU made a price comparison, i.e. "comparing us to a package that costs $3675 (+ $250 for the plugin)", when what he was actually comparing with the price of CelAction to ONLY the price of the plugin (reread the bit about "If you have 3DS Max license"). He said nothing about comparing both the 3DS Max license and plugin cost to CelAction. Nor did be mention anything about CelAction being any sort of "benchmark".

Are you starting to comprehend the obviousness of your sales spiel yet?

And, OMG, someone referred to some other software in a subforum dedicated to Other Software.

Now since you had previously opened the door to price comparisons, with cheaper being an obvious plus by your own implication, my comparison wasn't just "brought ... up out of nowhere" and was just as valid as your own.
I see what you're saying, but is any successful software truly unique and innovative nowadays?
From the perspective of CelAction, which you make sound heavily dependent upon giving large productions tools they are familiar with, I can see why it would be adverse to anything too unique or innovative. Innovation is necessarily untested in a production environment, which seems anathema to your market strategy. Perhaps just a little tunnel vision keeping you from seeing the innovation of your less-restricted competitors. Here's a hint. Any skeleton/bone feature used for 2D animation, including in CelAction, was pioneered in AS.
I didn't come here to criticise any other software or proselytise our own - I came here to put across our reasoning for doing something that you implied was the wrong thing to do.
I never said it was in any way wrong, only that competing software (including Toon Boom and Flash, which are heavily used in big productions and the most direct competitors in your target market) does include such tools. Those that do offer asset creation tools tend to do so in a unique way that is optimized to their own specific workflows (which have been adopted by large productions). Don't complain to me that yours doesn't warrant such tools.
Andy Blazdell

Post by Andy Blazdell »

synthsin75 wrote:You came into this thread by dishonestly misappropriating posts as somehow showing CelAction is a positive light, when the barest comparison was made.
"Dishonestly"? Really? I entered the thread using my real name, made no secret of where I was from, to respond to a comment YOU made about our software. I spoke only about the comment you made. The other comment I made about the original post had smileys after it, to show that I was being tongue-in-cheek. If you saw those smileys as gloating, then that was not my intention.
synthsin75 wrote:And YOU made a price comparison, i.e. "comparing us to a package that costs $3675 (+ $250 for the plugin)", when what he was actually comparing with the price of CelAction to ONLY the price of the plugin (reread the bit about "If you have 3DS Max license"). He said nothing about comparing both the 3DS Max license and plugin cost to CelAction.
Even though I was joking, Total Cost of Ownership is a valid point. How many people on this forum have 3DS Max?
synthsin75 wrote:Nor did be mention anything about CelAction being any sort of "benchmark".
Again, note the smiley. But mentioning CelAction2D out of nowhere and using that as a point of comparison is kind of setting us up as a benchmark.
synthsin75 wrote:Perhaps just a little tunnel vision keeping you from seeing the innovation of your less-restricted competitors.
Not all of our competitors handle bitmaps as well as we do, and not all of them handle point animation at all. So maybe what you call "tunnel vision" we call "focus" and maybe what you refer to as "less-restricted" is actually just them focusing on different areas to us.
synthsin75 wrote:Here's a hint. Any skeleton/bone feature used for 2D animation, including in CelAction, was pioneered in AS.
Okay, according to Wikipedia, "The software was originally developed under the name "Moho" since 1999 by Mike Clifton at LostMarble". But Wikipedia has been known to be wrong.

CelAction2D originally started as an in-house tool for a games company - in November 1997 we started to repurpose it for a TV series animation, which is where our current bone system originated. In August 1998 production started on the TV series The Big Knights for the BBC using CelAction2D. That series was first broadcast in December 1999.

Even Creatoon (which also had a skeleton/bone feature) was released in September 1999.

And the original version of Animo beat us all to bones in 2D, that was launched in 1993.

So what was the hint? ;)
synthsin75 wrote:I never said it was in any way wrong, only that competing software (including Toon Boom and Flash, which are heavily used in big productions and the most direct competitors in your target market) does include such tools.
And when animators use those drawing tools, they slow down to the speed of drawing. The whole point of CelAction2D is to do as little drawing as possible. Why put in drawing tools if we don't want people to use them? We let the excellent programmers at Adobe and TVPaint Developpement concentrate on making the best drawing tools they can, and that leaves us free to concentrate on animating those drawings as fast and efficiently as possible.
synthsin75 wrote:Don't complain to me that yours doesn't warrant such tools.
I'm not complaining, I'm giving a reason why.

Can you hear the popcorn rustling of the other readers of this forum? :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Andy Blazdell wrote:Can you hear the popcorn rustling of the other readers of this forum?
Maybe that's part of the problem here. I'm having a conversation with you, not playing to an audience.
synthsin75 wrote:You came into this thread by dishonestly misappropriating posts as somehow showing CelAction is a positive light, when the barest comparison was made.
"Dishonestly"? Really? I entered the thread using my real name, made no secret of where I was from, to respond to a comment YOU made about our software. I spoke only about the comment you made. The other comment I made about the original post had smileys after it, to show that I was being tongue-in-cheek. If you saw those smileys as gloating, then that was not my intention.
Did I accuse you of being generally dishonest? No. Read it again. I said "dishonestly misappropriating posts". The comment I made was the simple and true observation that CelAction has no asset creation tools, which you have only reiterated. Joking huh? That always seems to be the excuse when someone seeks to walk back their own words. If you were indeed joking, why not simply say that and leave it be? Perhaps because you are more invested in your words than a mere joke. Gloating?! I never assumed anything of the kind. I made the simplest assumption that smiley = happy, i.e. happy with what you, perhaps inadvertently, exaggerated/perceived as a recommendation of your product.
Even though I was joking, Total Cost of Ownership is a valid point. How many people on this forum have 3DS Max?
Again, note the smiley. But mentioning CelAction2D out of nowhere and using that as a point of comparison is kind of setting us up as a benchmark.
Sure, and so is CelAction requiring the purchase of Photoshop, or the like, to be even minimally usable. You kinda glossed over that fact while tooting the horn of having to buy 3DS.

And really?! Any comparison now sets up one of the compared things as a benchmark? How ridiculous.
Okay, according to Wikipedia, "The software was originally developed under the name "Moho" since 1999 by Mike Clifton at LostMarble". But Wikipedia has been known to be wrong.

CelAction2D originally started as an in-house tool for a games company - in November 1997 we started to repurpose it for a TV series animation, which is where our current bone system originated. In August 1998 production started on the TV series The Big Knights for the BBC using CelAction2D. That series was first broadcast in December 1999.

Even Creatoon (which also had a skeleton/bone feature) was released in September 1999.

And the original version of Animo beat us all to bones in 2D, that was launched in 1993.
Well, luckily google doesn't return any history of CelAction except your own. And I can't verify your info about Animo either (as the only reference to your date did not cite any sources, nor give a feature list at the time).
synthsin75 wrote:I never said it was in any way wrong, only that competing software (including Toon Boom and Flash, which are heavily used in big productions and the most direct competitors in your target market) does include such tools.
And when animators use those drawing tools, they slow down to the speed of drawing. The whole point of CelAction2D is to do as little drawing as possible. Why put in drawing tools if we don't want people to use them? We let the excellent programmers at Adobe and TVPaint Developpement concentrate on making the best drawing tools they can, and that leaves us free to concentrate on animating those drawings as fast and efficiently as possible.
Time is still spent drawing, and is still a production cost, regardless of it being done in a different program, and regardless of what you provide or "want people to use". You don't seem to be talking about drawing so much as reusable assets. The problem with strictly reusable assets is that you are either limited to those assets or, in the case of CelAction, you are forced to go to a different program to add even the smallest asset. Now you can beat your customers over the head about proper project planning, but if the studio works for a client, client changes are exacerbated by not even having simple mock-up asset tools.

Now here's the clincher. You have yet to discuss the actual topic of this thread. You know 3DCutOut. So if you're done "joking", aren't making a sale spiel, and are done reiterating what I already said (which you claim is your only reason for posting to this thread), why are you still posting to this thread? Trolling?
Andy Blazdell

Post by Andy Blazdell »

synthsin75 wrote:I'm having a conversation with you, not playing to an audience.
I'm trying to explain our reasoning behind the choices we made on our feature set. I made one post and went to leave. You have responded with provocative language, calling our prices a "joke" and "ridiculous", accusing us of "tunnel vision", calling our competitors "less restricted" than us, and then describing my actions as "dishonest". Which one of us is playing to an audience? :)
synthsin75 wrote:If you were indeed joking, why not simply say that and leave it be? Perhaps because you are more invested in your words than a mere joke. Gloating?! I never assumed anything of the kind. I made the simplest assumption that smiley = happy, i.e. happy with what you, perhaps inadvertently, exaggerated/perceived as a recommendation of your product.
Well this is the classic problem with internet communication - what one person thinks is clear, another sees it a different way. I hope my explanation can give closure to this point - let's leave it out of the conversation from now on.
synthsin75 wrote:Sure, and so is CelAction requiring the purchase of Photoshop, or the like, to be even minimally usable. You kinda glossed over that fact while tooting the horn of having to buy 3DS.
I said in my first post that you could use GIMP, which is free. You kinda glossed over that. :)
synthsin75 wrote:Well, luckily google doesn't return any history of CelAction except your own. And I can't verify your info about Animo either (as the only reference to your date did not cite any sources, nor give a feature list at the time).
Well this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Knights states that The BIg Knights used CelAction2D, and the series was broadcast starting on December 19, 1999. It also states that the whole series (130 minutes of animation) was shown over that Christmas. Although there isn't any proof readily Google-able about the start date, it's reasonable to infer that the series (which used only 6 animators, according to the IMDB entry) took a while to animate (actually 13 months), and that the software must have existed prior to the start of animation (it took 10 months to develop before animation started). But if you still don't believe me, there are witnesses. :)

As for Animo, you found the wrong one. This is the right one http://www.awn.com/mag/issue3.5/siggrap ... ridge.html
synthsin75 wrote:The problem with strictly reusable assets is that you are either limited to those assets or, in the case of CelAction, you are forced to go to a different program to add even the smallest asset.
If you are using bitmaps, there are several programs that require you to go to a different program, it's not an issue exclusive to CelAction2D.

But since you brought it up, in a bitmap pipeline, for TV series work, you have a separate design team that can draw in the style of the show. They make all the bitmap files that they think are necessary for the episode. They do this primarily from the animatic and/or predicted asset list. Should the animators need a new asset, they can request one from the design team. This has several advantages over letting the animators draw their own. Firstly, if 20 animators all need a cowboy hat, they ask the design team for one and a single one is drawn perfectly in the style of the show. If the animators draw their own, you run the risk of having 20 animators each draw a slightly different cowboy hat, wasting 19 animators' time.

Plus you also have the advantage of being able to change a layer in a PSD file and have that change propagate throughout the whole show, should you so wish.

In reality, a professional design team anticipates most of the "smallest assets", and so requests from animation to design are rare.

Note that this is not a CelAction2D-specific workflow, it's just good practice for a large team of animators. It's also common for stop-motion and 3D CGI series too - the animators are not allowed to change the armature/rigging or textures. The more compartmentalised a team, the better it scales up.
synthsin75 wrote:Now you can beat your customers over the head about proper project planning, but if the studio works for a client, client changes are exacerbated by not even having simple mock-up asset tools.
Like I said before, we concentrate on TV series, where there is a defined approval process that gives time for changes to be made properly. Doing a commercial or working with a client who wants to sit behind you while you work, it's always going to be a mad panic rush. Fortunately our clients appreciate proper project planning, I never have to beat them over the head at all. :)
synthsin75 wrote:Now here's the clincher. You have yet to discuss the actual topic of this thread. You know 3DCutOut. So if you're done "joking", aren't making a sale spiel, and are done reiterating what I already said (which you claim is your only reason for posting to this thread), why are you still posting to this thread?
I could be pedantic and say that my first sentence was about 3DCutOut, but that could be construed as cheeky. :)

The fact is, the first two posts in this thread mentioned CelAction2D. The two posts after that mentioned the Foundry's software. So in the first four posts, half of them feature you talking about software other than 3DCutOut. We are both guilty of not talking about 3DCutOut. :)

The reason I am still posting to this thread, as you well know, is to respond to comments you made that, if left unchallenged, would give an at best opinionated and at worst misleading view of our software. You have every right to your opinion, and I have every right to mine. Some people want drawing tools built in to their animation software, some people don't. If we can agree on that at least, then we can draw this conversation to a close.
synthsin75 wrote:Trolling?
Funny you should use that word. :) I'm wondering whether you have a bet with your friends as to how long you can keep me in this conversation. :)

So I propose a deal - you resist the urge to say something that I really have to challenge (in this world of Google search, one can't leave accusations unanswered, they stay online forever), and I will leave this thread. I'm not your enemy, I'm not trying to score points over Anime Studio (I recommend it to people, remember?), and I certainly wish you no ill-will.

What do you say? Shake on it? :) (this is a smile of conciliation)
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Oh dear. I've only just seen the recent posts to this thread. This is what happens when two people who are admirably passionate about the software they have chosen to back by using or even, in Andy's case, promoting and selling clash :D I met Andy, blimey, about 9 years ago now on one of his CelAction courses. Andy is a really nice guy and I can confirm that he was very complimentary about Anime Studio when he found out I used it. He knew it very well.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Andy Blazdell wrote:Which one of us is playing to an audience?
...(in this world of Google search, one can't leave accusations unanswered, they stay online forever)
Probably the one concerned about Google search results turning up this thread.
synthsin75 wrote:Sure, and so is CelAction requiring the purchase of Photoshop, or the like, to be even minimally usable. You kinda glossed over that fact while tooting the horn of having to buy 3DS.
I said in my first post that you could use GIMP, which is free. You kinda glossed over that. :)
Well for that matter, you can do cutout animation in Blender, Synfig, and probably a handful of other free software. Maybe you're aware of some large TV production actually using Gimp as its only image editor? If not, what you "could use" is a red herring compared to what your target market actual does. Which brings us back around to the cost of a quality image editor being necessary to the "Total Cost of Ownership" of CelAction.
As for Animo, you found the wrong one. This is the right one http://www.awn.com/mag/issue3.5/siggrap ... ridge.html
synthsin75 wrote:(as the only reference to your date did not cite any sources, nor give a feature list at the time).
The fact is, the first two posts in this thread mentioned CelAction2D.
Yet you have made it a running CelAction advert.
The reason I am still posting to this thread, as you well know, is to respond to comments you made that, if left unchallenged, would give an at best opinionated and at worst misleading view of our software.
Still playing to an audience, huh?
So I propose a deal - you resist the urge to say something that I really have to challenge (in this world of Google search, one can't leave accusations unanswered, they stay online forever), and I will leave this thread. I'm not your enemy, I'm not trying to score points over Anime Studio (I recommend it to people, remember?), and I certainly wish you no ill-will.
I didn't assume you were trying to "score points" over AS, nor is the reverse my intent. I just find it rude and without general forum etiquette to turn someone's thread into a sales spiel (which is the only reason to worry about Google search results, and which your continued posts mentioning CA2D only further assure).

And no, it is not my responsibility to help you exercise your own willpower. Regardless of what I say, I have no power over you. It is solely your decision whether you post or not. If you lack the willpower to restrain yourself, that is your personal problem.