Uploading very large Files - Help

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AmigaMan

Uploading very large Files - Help

Post by AmigaMan »

Hi there, I hope someone her can help me. I have a music video created using Anime Studio that I'm supposed to upload to the client today. However, as I suspected, at 36GB it's far too large for my DropBox account. Can anyone please advise on the best, tried and trusted way for me to upload this file so the client can download it. I've never transferred a file this large before. Thanks,
Dale
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Uploading very large Files - Help

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Oh, sorry for the question, but are you sure you really need to send a file that big?
Now, I know Wetransfer accepts files up to 10gb. Maybe you could try to split your file in four parts using some compressor software.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

No need at all to be sorry for the question. I think you are right and I'm going to have to reduce the file size. At present it's an uncompressed Avi. I could use Logarith or is there a better codec out there now? I've not done this for ages.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

There are some rumors about the 50GB on Mega (previously Megaupload) but I didn`t tryed it, while I know about 20GB on Transfer Big Files where you`d still have to split the file to that size.

For reducing, I used Handbrake. Opensource and excellent in preserving the quality.
*if you go for Handbrake, don`t forget to activate Advanced tab for settings. It would give you the full control over the transcoding.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Thanks Maestral. I've used Logarith at the moment. It's vastly reduced the file size. Why didn't I do tht in the first place? Thanks for the info.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Not at all, you`re welcome.
Still, out of sheer curiosity - how much did you`ve managed to reduce the file size with Lagarith?
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

From 36GB down to about 6GB!!
However, I've just found out that the client has a MAC and I don't think the Logarith codec exists for MAC? :(
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If you send a Lagarith file to a client, be sure to tell them they need to install the codec on their end to decode it.

@Maestral, you can get Lagarith from this website: http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

When you save your .avi, there should be an option to select it as the desired codec.

I use Lagarith mainly for archival use and masters. It's a good lossless codec and it's free. The downside is that Lagarith is fairly processor intensive and not very good for realtime playback, meaning, you don't really want to use it for editing. However, we still use Lagarith to insure we have the highest quality possible when we output our final renders.

Here's how we use it our current production: First, we output .png layer comps from ASP. Then we composite the layers in AE and output an HD .avi using Lagarith. We export this to a folder called Lagarith.

Next, in Virtual Dub we select a preset we created to transcode our AE exports to half-res h.264 in an .avi wrapper, and set the batch processor to save the .avi to a folder called Proxy.

Our video editor is Vegas and it pulls its source footage from a folder called Edit. When we're editing the film, we copy the videos from the 'Proxy' folder to the 'Edit' folder, and keep we it updated with proxy files as animation scenes are created or revised. Since the proxy files are small and compact, we can edit in realtime with no dropped frames, even on a modest laptop computer. Then, when we're ready for final output, we simply swap the proxy files in the Edit folder for the high-quality master files from the Lagarith folder, and render our final video format to whatever format we need.

When everything is done, we also output a final archival version of the edited movie using Lagarith. This version is technically indistinguishable from an uncompressed file but it requires far less storage space. Just keep in mind that if Lagarith ever heads toward obsolescence, you'll want to convert the movie to whichever lossless archival format that's being used the future.

Hmm...that was probably a lot more info than anybody was asking for or really interested in but...there you go. :)

G.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Unfortunately, I don't believe Lagarith is available for Mac OS.

You could try .mov using .PNG (also lossless) or maybe Photo JPEG at highest quality setting (not lossless but pretty decent at highest setting). I'm not an expert on the preferred archival format for Mac though, so you'll want to check if there's a more optimal lossless codec/format available. (I'm almost certain there is.)

To be sure, ask your client for their specs.

G.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Yes, thanks Greenlaw. I had told him to download the Logarith codec and sent him the link. That's when he told me he couldn't see a version for Mac :D
As this is mainly so he can release the video on Christmas day on Vimeo I don't think it needs to be lossless as I assume Vimeo will reduce the quality anyway. So, for the time being I'm experimenting using Handbrake, as Maestral advised, and just getting as good quality as I can. Then later I can send a lossless version. Well it's 3.15 am here now so I'm feeling a bit tired but I think I'm nearly there. Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, in that case you can just use the recommended settings at the Vimeo website.

For Vimeo I use .mp4 with high quality settings. In Vegas, for example, that would be the Sony AVC preset. I also enable a levels adjustment effect to compensate for computer RGB to studio RGB, which may be necessary--otherwise, the video may look darker on Vimeo than intended.

There's more information about these settings on their website, and Vimeo even offers software specific instructional videos. Good luck! :)

G.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

@ AmigaMan
I believe you`ve figured it out by now, but just in case I`ll recommend H.264 (x264). Gave me an amazing results (3GB .avi to ~10MB with no /noticeable/ loss in quality)

@ Greenlaw
Much obliged, I`ll keep it on mind and many thanks for sharing your pipeline.
Fortunately, my concerns lately are mainly about the file size and HB does the thing. That Advance tab makes even GOP options available, which was recently on clients specification list and I thought that would be the moment when some proprietary sw would be needed, alas..
I`ll stop now since you guys might think I`m payed for all this HB promotion / or... I shall be payed for it ,)) Still, if you may use H.264 as the extension, you have my warm recommendations for HB.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I exported as Best quality .mp4 and the client was happy with that. It's being 'released' on Christmas Day so I should be able to post it here then. Thanks for the help and advice.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Cool! Glad you got that worked out. Will look forward to seeing it. :)
kitzeldikatz

Post by kitzeldikatz »

Too late to the show, but using zip would be the simplest way to reduce the file size of an uncompressed AVI.