Rendering problems with graphic files

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CMcartoons

Rendering problems with graphic files

Post by CMcartoons »

Hey there, new to the forum, and have a burning question that's been eating away at me for months.

Basically I've noticed that occasionally when I render a scene, some of the graphical assets in JPG or PNG format will have a small glitch.
essentially it is usually just one frame, where the graphic will display with a horizontal or vertical strait line of white pixels.

I noticed this happens more with JPG than PNG. More often during camera movement, though it has occurred when all the assets were stationary. Using very large resolutions helps, but slows my rendering to a crawl. (I don't have a lot of ram) It doesn't seem to happen when my graphics are attached to bones or anything, Usually just when I use JPG or PNG files for background art.

It's hard to really explain what happens, but it is just a white line that appears for a frame. Here is a timecoded example from some of my earliest work. ( seriously like the first thing I animated so try not to judge too harshly :D )

http://youtu.be/6UOZ-EKCWlE?t=1m8s (vertical between the old ladies legs @1:09 then again horizontally on the floor @1:40)

I try to re render the scene when this happens, but like I said, I am very short on ram, so depending on the length and content of the scene, it can take 10 min to a few hours to render.

Anyone ran into this before? any settings I can change to keep this from happening? I mean I have minimized the problem as much as I can, but would be great if I could eliminate it all together!

Thanks for the help!
slowtiger

Re: Rendering problems with graphic files

Post by slowtiger »

Old glitch. Happens to me only when I use a whole bitmap without alpha channel.

Solution: open file in Photoshop or Gimp. Copy image on new layer. Enlarge canvas about 2 px on all sides. Blur the borders of the image about 1 px. Save as PNG with transparency.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
CMcartoons

Re: Rendering problems with graphic files

Post by CMcartoons »