Hello ASP World!

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jayfaker

Hello ASP World!

Post by jayfaker »

Hi everyone. This is my most recently finished project. I just finished it this weekend. Please critique if you please, and pull no punches. I worry that the worst thing about the video is that it is boring. Let me know! I'll take all your comments to heart.

Also, I've been posting a lot that past few weeks. I'd like to finally introduce myself.

Hi, I'm Jim. I majored in film editing, but at the tail end of college I got into motion graphics, a newish industry where I felt I'd be marketable. I taught myself graphic design and simple animation and I've been pretty busy ever since. But recently I've realized I don't love graphic design. I'm not into the trendiness of it all. Because of that my graphic design ability suffers. And I'm not happy doing it.

But I also realized that I enjoy animation. I get a certain sense of delight from moving things in just the right way, in communicating through action. And while I may not be very good at it yet, and while I am only beginning to learn to draw, drawing and animating excite me. I find a lot of joy in the attempt. And so I am working on moving my career from abstract motion graphics to character driven animation.

So here I am. I am excited to learn Anime Studio Pro and animation in general. I've been learning ASP like crazy and scouring the forums for tips and advice, and I think I've gotten pretty far. I know After Effects very deeply, so forgive me if I talk about it a lot. I may be delusional in my ambitions to get ASP and AE to talk to each other. My first scripting goal is to reverse engineer the ASP to AE camera script so I can send an AE camera to ASP. Anyway, I have a long way to go. But I feel like I'm finally going the right direction.

So that's who I am. Thanks to everyone who has conversed with me and helped me so far. I plan on being a pretty active part of this forum. So I look forward to talking to you all. Thanks again!

Jim
3deeguy

Re: Hello ASP World!

Post by 3deeguy »

Great artwork and animation. The voice-over sounded professional. This project only has to appeal to your client. I'm studying the work of Miguel Hernandez of Grumo Media who has done work for some pretty big names. I want to hone my skills and focus in this area also.
You said not to pull punches. It looks like you're trying to present a solution to a problem for a tech company in a concise, entertaining way.
The part that puzzled me was the 'strike force' loads their weapons with tee-shirts and heads to a playground that has litter on the ground. What was the connection?
Cheers, Larry
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

3deeguy wrote: You said not to pull punches. It looks like you're trying to present a solution to a problem for a tech company in a concise, entertaining way. The part that puzzled me was the 'strike force' loads their weapons with tee-shirts and heads to a playground that has litter on the ground. What was the connection?
Hey 3deeguy. Thanks! The metaphor was a war room, so the soldiers were supposed to be advertisers rushing in to spread the company message and then finding themselves 'late to the party.' So the t-shirts were like the advertisements. The metaphor definitely gets muddy there. Before, I had thought of having 'Twitter Guns' that shoot ad tweets, and maybe that would have worked better, but then the t-shirt gun idea hit and I ran with it, even though in hindsight it probably just adds confusion.

The extended metaphor itself may be too confusing. Often these technical videos just explain things face value, probably because it makes it easier to understand, though less interesting. It was a lot more fun creating a war room, though.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I watched some of your other work on Vimeo. You're very good. I suspect you'll be very busy if that's not already the case. :D
Cheers, Larry
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Nicely done - good choice of style and colors. Very professional!
~Danimal
SheilaYates

Post by SheilaYates »

Amazingly beautiful and for that is some kind of perfect presentation.
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

Thanks everyone for your comments! I really appreciate them!
pihms

Post by pihms »

A nice smooth flow to the animation.