AS11's new FBF layer versus already existing Switchlayers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Danimal

Re: AS11's new FBF layer versus already existing Switchlayer

Post by Danimal »

sargumphigaus wrote:Reference Layering is a little tricky to learn, I'm not quite there yet
I'm glad someone else said this so I don't feel like the only one who is lost. In fact, it seems the more people explain it, the LESS sense it makes. Hopefully the webinar will help, but almost certainly it's a case of ID-10-T on my part.
~Danimal
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

Well, here we stand. I don't necessarily have the reference layer concept down yet, but knowing that I can use that to apply further detail and color to the images is pretty awesome.

I owe you guys an apology. I misconceived your system and thought it was just switchlayers with less features. It's just a completely different system. So...my bad. I apologize.

that being said, let me show you what I made in just a couple of hours.

This feature is really going to put AS on the board.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

it really isn't THAT complicated - the references keep all aspects of a copy in sync with their original master. In the case of FBF this is specifically the timing of frames, which frees you to have 16 layers of shading (should you wish to) and then allows you to re-time the sequence directly from the master layer without having to manually match 16 layers' keyframes by hand.

(this also allows you to add an inbetween frame to the master and have it create a tween frame on the other 16 layers)
braj

Post by braj »

From what I have done so far, the tricky bit seems making sure you only change timing on the master layer and don't go editing individual layers within the FBF folder layers. Knowing what layer you are on for me has been a little confusing.
chucky

Post by chucky »

sargumphigaus wrote: let me show you what I made in just a couple of hours.
Cool stuff :D
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

I never said it's super complicated and impossible to learn. In truth, I just haven't gotten to it yet. Very busy these days.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Braj , the beauty is that you don't generally need to know what layer you are on, just close the group and draw on the frame you want. It automatically draws to the right layer.
If you really need to see expand the group and the layer you are on is highlighted.... simples :)
braj

Post by braj »

chucky wrote:Braj , the beauty is that you don't generally need to know what layer you are on, just close the group and draw on the frame you want. It automatically draws to the right layer.
If you really need to see expand the group and the layer you are on is highlighted.... simples :)
Yeah, I'm denser than that :) it has been hard to know what FBF folder layer I am on. I just have to be careful. I likely won't be doing the most crazy FBF stuff, honestly I play with AS more than getting anything of consequence done. I hope to change that, but well... :) I really appreciate your outlining this process though. It is very helpful.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

The nice thing is if you make a mistake you can always right click and re-sync it to the master... if you change timing you will quickly see your mistake - resync, go to the right layer and bobs you're uncle.

Actually, there should probably be a 'go to master layer' shortcut key, if there isn't.
There should also maybe be a canvas highlighting colour when you are on or not on a master layer - like when you are at frame 0 and highlight canvas is on in the prefs...