ASP11 How to use Frame by Frame with layers and masking

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

braj

Re: ASP11 How to use Frame by Frame with layers and masking

Post by braj »

One thing about the new way switch layers are displayed: I get confused when trying to move them around. I guess I'll get the hang of it, but especially if you don't have them color coded, it gets very confusing. And you do have a limited number of colors to label them with, which will seldom be enough for anything FBF. Any advice on getting used to this?
chucky

Post by chucky »

benecosse wrote:Thanks, great video. I'm really impressed with the new drawing tool improvements - works perfectly with the frame by frame. Do you know if there is a way to flip between images ...say the last 3-4 frames as you animate?
Hi Benecosse, yes there is a way.
AS you know if you press Alt and left/ right click on the top of the timeline, you get a render or animation region that does loop.
So you don't want to mess with that all the time, it's your whole piece.
OK now use Ctrl , click left at the start of your preview region and Ctrl right click at the end and you can have a short preview region.
One thing about the new way switch layers are displayed: I get confused when trying to move them around. I guess I'll get the hang of it, but especially if you don't have them color coded, it gets very confusing. And you do have a limited number of colors to label them with, which will seldom be enough for anything FBF. Any advice on getting used to this?
Hi Braj ,could you be a little more specific, I'm not really sure what you mean.
You can use the layer selector tool (in special) or you can expand the FBF group and see it highlighted - rename the specific layer if you like, be sure to use the master layer when appropriate if referencing.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Chucky, your FBF workflow demonstration was highly educational and well worth the wait. Well done!

The exploding watermelon example was pretty cool too. :)

G.
braj

Post by braj »

chucky wrote: Hi Braj ,could you be a little more specific, I'm not really sure what you mean.
You can use the layer selector tool (in special) or you can expand the FBF group and see it highlighted - rename the specific layer if you like, be sure to use the master layer when appropriate if referencing.
In the timeline, switch layer keys used to just be a circle like all other keys, now they show the duration the switch layer spans, which is nice enough, but confusing for me when moving them around. It makes it easier when they are color coded, just we don't have that many colors available, and in FBF there will usually be more frames in the FBF switch layer than available colors, so using what will usually work for switch layers just isn't as useful for FBF unless the animation is very simple. I'd love some sort of automatic coloring for FBF where it starts coloring each switch from a shade of the rainbow and changes to another shade with each new keyframe/layer. I dunno, maybe I can make a mock up in Photoshop to explain what I mean better. Just moving keyframes around is confusing for me, maybe it is just me though. The old style circles would have actually been easier for me regarding FBF personally I think. I think this gets more confusing for me with the added complexity of your reference layer method. Everyone's brain works a little differently :) Probably experience would take care of this.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

chucky wrote:
benecosse wrote:Thanks, great video. I'm really impressed with the new drawing tool improvements - works perfectly with the frame by frame. Do you know if there is a way to flip between images ...say the last 3-4 frames as you animate?
Hi Benecosse, yes there is a way.
AS you know if you press Alt and left/ right click on the top of the timeline, you get a render or animation region that does loop.
So you don't want to mess with that all the time, it's your whole piece.
OK now use Ctrl , click left at the start of your preview region and Ctrl right click at the end and you can have a short preview region.
You can also select a group of keyframes and use Shift+{ or Shift+} to go to the previous and next selected keyframe. And these shortcuts can be customized.
braj

Post by braj »

This is what I mean by some auto-gradated key-frame colors.

(Also, I apologize, I know this is way off topic, I should have posted this whole query in a new thread).
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Chucky, wow...thanks for sharing this workflow video. It really shows what an leap in development this latest version of AS is. I know I'm going to refer to this video many times! :D
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

These new features look incredible. Thank you for sharing! :D
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I kind of initially thought that I could live without FBF and that for now I'll wait to upgrade later. But after watching this demo, I can see that I was wrong, unfortunately my budget is tight, but I want to upgrade pretty badly! This is so cool, and I can see myself even using rotoscoping technique with this. Also combining traditional anime studio technique with FBF mix in between.
animationfamily

Post by animationfamily »

Hi!Can be made classic animation in the new frame by frame function - First, primary keys, and then inbetweens. And how does this affect the orders of the layers in framing folder if they are numbered automatically.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hi!Can be made classic animation in the new frame by frame function - First, primary keys, and then inbetweens. And how does this affect the orders of the layers in framing folder if they are numbered automatically.
HI yes you can inbetween, but make sure you start on the master layer ( in this case the blue pencil ).

The new frame will be added but it will be numbered chronologically,, see the highlighted layer in the expanded blue pencil group.
Maybe later there could be a script to renumber all the layers , but for now, that's how it is.
It works fine like this but many animators suffer bouts of OCD when presented with numbers that look 'out of place' :wink:
Last edited by chucky on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

Pencil in AS has improved a lot... but is not very accurate to make sharp lines (zig zag).
This is a good way to make frame by frame.
Thank you for sharing. :D :D :D
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

That demo would've been enough to sell me the latest release. The official videos didn't quite make clear the enormous potential for doing frame by frame in ASP11. I like how you picked something simple like a fully colored and shaded exploding watermelon. Thanks also for the templates.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Thanks , Dj.... :) Aahhh I see a fellow Aussie, g'day cobber!
exile

Post by exile »

In the "How do I ..." thread I complained about some features that didn't work as I expected (copying, deleting frames without the playback order getting jumbled up), but this video was really awesome. I'm going to download the template and give it a try. Thanks for taking all this trouble - it seems like some users tweak the program to create completely new features.
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com