I debated the fbf system. I stand corrected.

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sargumphigaus

I debated the fbf system. I stand corrected.

Post by sargumphigaus »

Here's a little something I cooked up real quick, just to test the fbf system, to get a feel for it. Oh and I just got a drawing tablet, so I wanted to test that out as well. Tests across the board. This is nothing definitive. I'm just testing out how FBF works for me. The whole thing is less than a second long, so I looped it to make it a little longer. Personally, I think this new system is amazing. I can't wait to get my head around the reference layer coloring system. but hey. You be the judge.

Watch him melt!

Little Yamori

Re: I debated the fbf system. I stand corrected.

Post by Little Yamori »

That was pretty cool.

Question: I'm relatively new to all this, I started AS 2.5 years ago, and had no clue how to use it until watching all the tutorials etc.. like a lot of people here. I've finally gotten a decent grasp of it, though I'm still using debut 6, so my question is, with all the great innovations of "bones" and "smart bones", what gives the FBF so much appeal? I mean, I can see the difference in the motion and look of it most of (but not all of) the time, but it seems like sooo much more work, but people who love it seem to really need it. I respect your work (despite getting the nightmares and all), and you seem really passionate about it so I figured I'd ask.

LY
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

The key thing is that it allows you to do things that are really difficult to do with a 'flat' drawing... AS traditionally animates by 'morphing' shapes - when those shapes are so different to each other (number of points especially) doing small sequences in frame by frame allows you to link things without making shape A complex enough to allow it to morph into shape B.

not to mention, for effects such as water splashing or anything where something morphs into multiple shapes that get very little screen time, fbf is perfect.

In the case of sargumphigaus, it will allow him to realise his twisted nightmares quicker not slower because of his specific visions.

Also, it's a great way to sketch out the timing for a scene even if you rig and animate it in a more tranditional AS workflow - the new samurai character being case in point.

At the end of the day it really depends on what you plan to do, but fbf just opens a whole new set of options :)
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

funksmaname wrote:In the case of sargumphigaus, it will allow him to realise his twisted nightmares
haahhahahhahhahahahhahahahahahaahahahahaHAHAAHHAAHAAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAHAHA
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

Me likey.
Jimmy Mills

Some of my Moho Pro work.
My Demo Reel: https://youtu.be/_kSCno4Wd3c?si=gNT7d27R7sM4jjqq
Buddies Ep 4: https://youtu.be/f8Zbzo2mpHA?si=4EyxhBOrgOxkDoSO
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

funksmaname wrote:The key thing is that it allows you to do things that are really difficult to do with a 'flat' drawing... AS traditionally animates by 'morphing' shapes - when those shapes are so different to each other (number of points especially) doing small sequences in frame by frame allows you to link things without making shape A complex enough to allow it to morph into shape B.

not to mention, for effects such as water splashing or anything where something morphs into multiple shapes that get very little screen time, fbf is perfect.
Thanks for the explanation, I think I'll have to dabble :)
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Looks like the kid put ET into the microwave.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

Little Yamori wrote:That was pretty cool.

Question: I'm relatively new to all this, I started AS 2.5 years ago, and had no clue how to use it until watching all the tutorials etc.. like a lot of people here. I've finally gotten a decent grasp of it, though I'm still using debut 6, so my question is, with all the great innovations of "bones" and "smart bones", what gives the FBF so much appeal? I mean, I can see the difference in the motion and look of it most of (but not all of) the time, but it seems like sooo much more work, but people who love it seem to really need it. I respect your work (despite getting the nightmares and all), and you seem really passionate about it so I figured I'd ask.
FBF is freedom. If you rig a character with bones, you're constrained to just the image of that character and his moving limbs. Like a paper doll. I know smart bones have given you the ability to rig more complex morphing shapes and what have you, and that's cool. I have no problem with that, it's just not for me. Eventually I'm going to animate a guy in a green duster pry his own skull open with his hands and have snakes will ooze out of his brain. This man also casts a shadow that is made entirely out of cockroaches btw. Eventually his back will snap open to form into the mouth of some horrible abomination with syringes for teeth. Eventually, he will transform into a giant scorpion monster. I can't do any of this with bone rigging.

As for more work. Hard work is what got me where I am. If you want good results, you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone and really work for it. Nothing is worth doing unless it takes a lot of effort to get done. IMO

EDIT: grammar mistake.
Last edited by sargumphigaus on Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

sargumphigaus wrote: Eventually I'm going to animate a guy in a green duster pry his own skull open with his hands and have snakes will ooze out of his brain. This man also casts a shadow that is made entirely out of cockroaches btw. Eventually his back with snap open to as the mouth of some horrible abomination with syringes for teeth. Eventually, he will transform into a giant scorpion monster. I can't do any of this with bone rigging.
Now that is beautifully demented. LOVE IT!
sargumphigaus wrote:As for more work. Hard work is what got me where I am. If you want good results, you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone and really work for it. Nothing is worth doing unless it takes a lot of effort to get done. IMO
Exactly.
Jimmy Mills

Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

sargumphigaus wrote:
FBF is freedom. If you rig a character with bones, you're constrained to just the image of that character and his moving limbs. Like a paper doll. I know smart bones have given you the ability to rig more complex morphing shapes and what have you, and that's cool. I have no problem with that, it's just not for me. Eventually I'm going to animate a guy in a green duster pry his own skull open with his hands and have snakes will ooze out of his brain. This man also casts a shadow that is made entirely out of cockroaches btw. Eventually his back with snap open to as the mouth of some horrible abomination with syringes for teeth. Eventually, he will transform into a giant scorpion monster. I can't do any of this with bone rigging.

As for more work. Hard work is what got me where I am. If you want good results, you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone and really work for it. Nothing is worth doing unless it takes a lot of effort to get done. IMO
As soon as I finish my latest I'm picking up AS11 so I'll begin dabbling with FBF. Great explanation, and as for your last statement, definitely agree
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

Yosemite Sam wrote:Now that is beautifully demented. LOVE IT!
I have way too many ideas. I want to make a second narwhal cartoon where he rides his tricycle to a fast food restaurant run by penguins, I want to make a second Descending transmission (although every idea i get flows into elsewhere) I want to make a cartoon called "What are you doing in my kitchen?" but more than anything, since the very beginning, I want to make a cartoon called grizzletits. Think barney and friends. The whimsical and innocent imaginations of happy children turn a doll into a wonderful singing dinosaur, but what if one of those kids were demented and born with a broken moral compass? Remember that scene in akira where tetsuo...yeah. too ambitious, and i'm not there yet.

only problem is I suck at drawing.

here's another thing I just made.

Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

sargumphigaus wrote:
Yosemite Sam wrote:Now that is beautifully demented. LOVE IT!
I have way too many ideas. I want to make a second narwhal cartoon where he rides his tricycle to a fast food restaurant run by penguins, I want to make a second Descending transmission (although every idea i get flows into elsewhere) I want to make a cartoon called "What are you doing in my kitchen?" but more than anything, since the very beginning, I want to make a cartoon called grizzletits. Think barney and friends. The whimsical and innocent imaginations of happy children turn a doll into a wonderful singing dinosaur, but what if one of those kids were demented and born with a broken moral compass? Remember that scene in akira where tetsuo...yeah. too ambitious, and i'm not there yet.

only problem is I suck at drawing.

here's another thing I just made.

Love all those ideas. And that FBF looks really good.
Jimmy Mills