Depth of field & patch layers problem ASP 11

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Brooke

Depth of field & patch layers problem ASP 11

Post by Brooke »

I have been rendering out a few scenes that have been utilising the depth of field (under file>preference>depth of field)

In all instances whereby the background is set to be out of focus, any character that is within that range and has patches, all the patches will be blurred. (Regardless of whether the character and all its layers are set or not set to scale compensation)

I'm sure this is something that can be recreated using a patched character (the patches are on the elbows and knees).

I am using ASP 11 32 bit mode,

My document is 1280 x 720
A character is set to -0.1095 in Z axis
Focus is set to 2
Focus range is set to 0.50
Max blur radius set to 17

I have to manually adjust the curves which is not ideal, and render out 2 different versions of the same file in order to workaround this. Or just blur and animate each background element via the layer panels - but this is time consuming and not always as convincing as a camera. Thankfully I don't use this feature a lot but it is quite annoying.
Brooke
synthsin75

Re: Depth of field & patch layers problem ASP 11

Post by synthsin75 »

Scale compensation has nothing to do with DOF. Maybe you need to make the patches immune to DOF in the layer settings.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

@ synthsin75

Thanks for your response.
I tried doing what you recommended and unfortunately it makes no difference. I also checked whether this problem occurs in AS10 and it does.
Would this be considered a bug and if so how do I go about reporting it to Smith Micro ?

Many thanks.
Brooke
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I'd have to see a file with an example of the problem to know if it is a bug.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Okay so I have uploaded a file. The character is bare bones (ie its just to give an example)

I added notes on frame 0, 24 and 48.

The document has depth of field enabled via > Projects > File settings.
I have also tried this out in ASP 10 and the same thing happens there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjobi6949tbfj ... anime?dl=0

The patches fail to blend as in my earlier post.

Many thanks
Brooke
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I think it may be because the patch layers are not at 0,0 and therefore the distance between the layer origin and camera is different from that of the "patched" layers - and this means that the blurring is different for the patch and patched layers.

You can see the effect by (say) shifting the head layer origin off to the left, and then grabbing the points and translating them so that the head is visually in the right place.

But there's no way to move the patch area other than by layer translate etc... so, IMO, this is an "unwanted feature".

I've logged a bug report ...