Re-Using Rigs for Multiple Characters

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dfaris

Re-Using Rigs for Multiple Characters

Post by dfaris »

Hi all,

I don't know if this was mentioned or advised before, being new to AS, but I found an interesting method for speed and efficiency when creating characters for production.

Animating bones only for actions and skinning the bones at frame 0 for multiple character use. Much like rigging in 3D apps.

I made a run cycle for 1 character, then deleted all layers(aesthetics) leaving just the bone layer. Then at frame 0, creating layers that correspond to another character and copy+paste them into the layer and then simply rigging them to the bones. Save the file with another name for referencing purposes and later use.

The new character runs like the other.
I can perfect a motion or animated segment then re-use it for every character I make. I think this is so cool!

This makes my goals much more feasible!
neeters_guy

Re: Re-Using Rigs for Multiple Characters

Post by neeters_guy »

Good tip. Note that as of ver. 10, you can copy and paste keyframes between different documents. So if two bone rigs are structured similarly (ie., same bone names), you can easily copy an animation from one rig to another.
dfaris

Post by dfaris »

Awesome!
AS just keeps on getting better. Loving it!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

If you look their is a save bone~load bone user animation script. If the rig has the same bone names it wont know it is a different rig.

Dale