Best way to lip sync song from the mind?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Welsh Jester

Best way to lip sync song from the mind?

Post by Welsh Jester »

Hi all

I have a song which I'd like to lip sync to in AS. But it involves 2 characters together with one of them singing about the other in the mind. Easiest way i can think of is having an extra of the one character singing it as a slightly transparent overlay on top of the main video, with only that one having lip sync.

Is that the best way to do it to project the characters thoughts as song? Or would it look silly?

Also is there any need to cut the project/song up in sections with multiple scenes or is it not really needed for this?

Thanks.
Lukas

Re: Best way to lip sync song from the mind?

Post by Lukas »

Sounds like you don't need to lip-sync anything. Try and find other ways to animate the emotions of the 'singing' character. :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Usually that "words in my mind" part is done without lip sync, just a voice-over.

But hey, this is animation! Why not let things speak? Give this furniture a mouth! At least this would be original. (Has to fit the lyrics, of course.)
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

This is from a long time ago and it's (based on badly recorded) live action, but this is a singer remembering a lost love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMLxG53B2gY If this is the sort of thing that you'd like then just say if you want help to adapt the concept to your storyline -- it's pretty straightforward to do in AS (e.g. a "thought" insert here: https://youtu.be/uMb7v6lvUw0?t=220 - time 3:40 ish)
Welsh Jester

Post by Welsh Jester »

I realise it's a voice-over so no lip sync is needed, but would adding some lip sync be ok in the way i already mentioned? Or should i do small cuts to another scene showing a dream like state with lip sync? Not sure which would work the best. I'd rather have at least a little than none.

hayasidist, that's a simple way to do it with a thought bubble. Would a simple white flash scene change to some lip sync also look decent enough?

Basically it would go like: Scenes showing characters emotions with voice over music, close up of the character 'singing' and a quick scene change to some lip sync, and repeat. Would that look ok or out of place?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

What if you move the character's body as if it would be singing? If the performance is good, the character will "transmit" the song even without moving the mouth.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Welsh Jester wrote:hayasidist, that's a simple way to do it with a thought bubble. Would a simple white flash scene change to some lip sync also look decent enough?
Basically it would go like: Scenes showing characters emotions with voice over music, close up of the character 'singing' and a quick scene change to some lip sync, and repeat. Would that look ok or out of place?
IMO you'd need to establish for the viewer which one is "dreamy" - e.g. the real world character turns and looks up - camera follows their gaze to an empty space on screen into which you fade the thought sequence that you define by (say) a vignette onto cloud.

now you can cut back and forth as you wish.

oh, and agreeing with Victor, I also don't think (accurate) lipsyncing is essential