Awesome tool - must have this in Anime Studio 12!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JaMike

Awesome tool - must have this in Anime Studio 12!

Post by JaMike »

This is just everything I wanted in vector animation:

Download the demo here:

http://vpaint.org/

(Not to be confused with TVPaint :D )
funksmaname

Re: Awesome tool - must have this in Anime Studio 12!

Post by funksmaname »

This is very interesting - thanks for posting it!
However, it is very much an experiment... I don't know if it is ready to replace the traditional methods just yet

I'm going to have a play with it - post your experiments people :)
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

His interpretation of "drawing in vectors" is so close to "drawing in pixels".

Well, although it might be considered as an experiment, most importantly - it`s a functional one. On the other side, I`m not sure how (if even possible) to implement it within the existing nature of drawing tools in AS. If there is a room for that - I see it as an exponential improvement for AS. Would like to hear from developers on this matter.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

it's super limited right now, and really difficult to use (in the 2 minutes I just tried :P)
I don't think we need this in AS... but it is interesting.

The main thing out of this that could be useful is a way to interpolate non matching face/point numbers (if it does that, the video makes it look like it can but I couldn't figure it out) - so interpolating two free drawings, but then there's so much work that would be needed to tell the machine what you really want it to do that it's just quicker doing it the old way!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I played with it some days ago. Liked the "3d motion graph" concept and the adding, deleting points and shapes, but it's too difficult to actually animate on it.
I don't think AS need anything like this. It's a great idea, but they need to maturate it a lot to make it useful in the "real world".
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Víctor Paredes wrote:I played with it some days ago. Liked the "3d motion graph" concept and the adding, deleting points and shapes, but it's too difficult to actually animate on it.
I don't think AS need anything like this. It's a great idea, but they need to maturate it a lot to make it useful in the "real world".
I had the exact same thoughts just watching the demo.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Ah yes, HAL, read about it some time ago, interesting, but very immature, although there are text about this type of systems going as far as 2004 if I remember correctly.

Seems too circumvoluted to be really useful though, I doubt that the average user, which has enough on his or her plate as it is, would like such a paradigm shift in Anime Studio way of animating.

Still pretty cool though!
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

I agree that this is just a proof of concept, and it isn't written by a professional software company, but just imagine what a genius like Mike Clifton could do with it.

It's even open source, so everyone can see how it works! You can bet that Toon Boom and Adobe will be looking at this very carefully. One of them will find a way to make it work in a user-friendly way. If Anime Studio can beat them to the punch, that will make the whole animation industry sit up and take notice.

Remember that you all said FBF couldn't and shouldn't be done in Anime Studio, and look what happened! :)
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

JaMike wrote:Remember that you all said FBF couldn't and shouldn't be done in Anime Studio, and look what happened! :)
FBF is definitely a nice addition, but Anime Studio is not a FBF animation software, FBF is more of a convenience for small FBF stuff, not as the main tool.

This said, I don't mean that this technology isn't interesting, it is, the question is, is it worth the effort to integrate it in Anime Studio, that, I am not sure!

We'll have to wait where it goes I think, before thinking of encouraging its integration in Anime Stdio.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

JaMike wrote:Remember that you all said FBF couldn't and shouldn't be done in Anime Studio, and look what happened! :)
From what I remember, I always defended the inclusion of FBF. Actually, when I had the luck to visit Smith Micro some years ago (during the 9.5 beta) I showed the team a concept I thought about how FBF could be implemented just adding some options to a Switch layer. That exact concept, but of course improved by the wisdom of Mike and the AS team, is the one featured in version 11 :wink:
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Wow, visualising 2D animated geometry as a 3D static object is pure genius!

However, you can do similar things to this in Anime Studio already by combining point animation with the new FBF feature.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Víctor Paredes wrote: From what I remember, I always defended the inclusion of FBF. Actually, when I had the luck to visit Smith Micro some years ago (during the 9.5 beta) I showed the team a concept I thought about how FBF could be implemented just adding some options to a Switch layer. That exact concept, but of course improved by the wisdom of Mike and the AS team, is the one featured in version 11 :wink:
Sorry, I didn't mean literally all that responded in this thread, just the general attitude that some experienced users had when people complained about the lack of FBF. Sorry if I caused offence.

And congrats for coming up with the idea! :D
chucky

Post by chucky »

There were certainly enough people lobbying for FBF for it to be implemented by SM. Victors suggestions were spot on and FBF is implemented elegantly in ASP as a result.