ASP and Flash

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Furpuss

ASP and Flash

Post by Furpuss »

Recently a potential client got in touch with me about a job being done in Flash. I explained to them I didn't do Flash but I do work in Anime Studio. Does anyone know how well, if at all, Flash & ASP get along? In other words, can Flash assets, rigged models be imported into ASP?

Thanks,
Furpuss
dkwroot

Re: ASP and Flash

Post by dkwroot »

Flash and AS are incompatible at the moment. Flash uses bezier curves (Industry Standard) while Anime Studio uses its own curve system. Unless your client is working with rasters, your programs won't work well together.
Furpuss

Post by Furpuss »

Thanks! Knowing that will save me a lot of grief.

Furpuss
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

If you keep the working output size the same. You can go from one to the other. You could do almost all the work in AS and use Flash as a render.

It's all according to what the client wants.

AS and Flash

This video is set to unlisted, please do not link to it. Thanks.

Dale
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I worked with Flash for a long time. You *can* get AS and Flash to work together, but I wouldn't call it a happy marriage. These two pieces of software are just very good at totally different things...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
DK

Post by DK »

Like jahnocli, I have tried to get AS and Flash to work together and what you end up getting is a massive point count being ported over to Flash when you export as an swf file. I ended up opting to re-create all my characters in Flash just to keep the point file size down. You just can't get a faster loading or smaller file size format other that working in Flash natively. If your project is small, maybe export lightly compressed jpg image sequences from AS to Flash or visa versa?

D.K
cartoonmonkey

Post by cartoonmonkey »

Interesting stuff Dale! BTW, good to meet you at the convention. I'm sorry I was so glazed over, just long days at the booth! Maybe see ya next year!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

cartoonmonkey wrote:Interesting stuff Dale! BTW, good to meet you at the convention. I'm sorry I was so glazed over, just long days at the booth! Maybe see ya next year!
I'm thinking about just doing one day there. Maybe as a presenter at one of the CTN booths. I would go over some of the tricks that I know that can cut down the work in animation.

Dale
hank scorpio

Post by hank scorpio »

Is there a reason your client needs Flash? I ask because Flash is disappearing. Adobe is renaming it Animate and I would expect it to fall off completely in the not too distant future.

I've used Flash forever and love it and miss it, but no one uses it anymore. If your client is only interested in the final product, it shouldn't matter what you use to create it.