Mixing 3D program and Anime Studio for a production

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ruscular3d

Mixing 3D program and Anime Studio for a production

Post by ruscular3d »

http://alperocak.blogspot.com/

The artist is from Istanbul, and uses Lightwave supercell toon shader for the background and anime studio for the character and animations.
I am hoping this artist sees it and share a little bit of themselves.
ruscular3d

Re: Mixing 3D program and Anime Studio for a production

Post by ruscular3d »

https://vimeo.com/27435101
Yoram Benz uses Cinema4D and Anime Studio. I ask him how he did the ocean and it uses a texture plane and wind deformer. For the makeshift boat in a box, I imagine that he imported the sequence frame into the 3D program in order to animate the rise and fall of the waves. I also notice the interior of the store and shelves were toon rendered in a 3D program. Maya, 3Dsmax, Cinema4D, and now Lightwave are few of the program that have good toon rendering.

One of my favorite movie with Don Bluth, the animator, is "Titan A.E." with superb mix of 3D and cell animation.
Dpendleton77

Post by Dpendleton77 »

ruscular3d wrote:https://vimeo.com/27435101
Yoram Benz uses Cinema4D and Anime Studio. I ask him how he did the ocean and it uses a texture plane and wind deformer. For the makeshift boat in a box, I imagine that he imported the sequence frame into the 3D program in order to animate the rise and fall of the waves. I also notice the interior of the store and shelves were toon rendered in a 3D program. Maya, 3Dsmax, Cinema4D, and now Lightwave are few of the program that have good toon rendering.

One of my favorite movie with Don Bluth, the animator, is "Titan A.E." with superb mix of 3D and cell animation.
I have followed the work of the guys and gals on the "Ottoman Project" and they have done a nice job of cell shading in cinema 4D.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's pretty cool! Some very nice design work there. Thanks for sharing that.

BTW, I used LightWave for the 3D scenes in 'Scareplane'.

Way back in 2001, when I was just starting out at Rhythm & Hues, I was using LightWave for all the cel shaded 3D in a 4 minute short film for Nissan called 'Master of the Sixth Speed'. You can see a little clip from the short in my demo reel. The clip is at around :30. I also used it for a couple of character scenes but I think only one of them wound up in the final edit.

A few years before that (around 1998 I think,) I used LightWave in a Mighty Ducks action figures commercial for a couple of panoramic backgrounds. The client asked me if I could also animate the characters cel shaded. I created two proof-of-concept scenes which they liked but realistically, it was cheaper and easier at the time to hire a traditional 2D artist for the characters so they went with that. One of these days, I'll post that test--it was actually kinda neat for a quickie 'one off'. If anything, the test helped get me hired on as a staff artist at Rhythm.

Nowadays, I'd take a hybrid approach using Anime Studio for most scenes, and cel-shaded LightWave in scenes it's more appropriate.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chucky

Post by chucky »

In this video I used 3d for the BMX and the body if the rider. Everything else was ASP with images in Painter I think.
The 3d was built from scratch in Animation Master (which I won't use now since they went subscription only).
It's had a few views :o .
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That looks amazing, Chucky! Wow, I didn't realize Animation Master was still around. I used it briefly before I started using LightWave.

Speaking of LightWave and cel-shaded 3D, my supervisor and his crew at the time created all the cgi in Invader Zim. I always thought the cgi looked fantastic and very well integrated with the 2D animation, especially for the time (2001-2003).

G.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

chucky wrote:In this video I used 3d for the BMX and the body if the rider. Everything else was ASP with images in Painter I think.
The 3d was built from scratch in Animation Master (which I won't use now since they went subscription only).
It's had a few views :o .
Animation Master has a 299 full version with one upgrade.

http://www.hash.com/store/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=22

Dale
chucky

Post by chucky »

Cheers Dale , I'll check it out. I wonder if it has improved much. Am is pretty effective but a slow mover as far as development goes.
May is the best , I don't know how their pricing works these days.
EDIT: Yeah unfortunately AM is 299 to buy but still works as a yearly subscription after that. You can't open a file without it , the same as when I did that BMX. I won't have my files held to ransom, if I need to open a model just once in three years time, I'm not paying one hundred AU to do so.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

299 dollars for the current version, to use for years to come, the yearly subscription to get any new versions.
"and then Man created god!"
chucky

Post by chucky »

Really , I will have to check if it opens then. They must have realised subscription only was a bad move, they certainly lost me as a customer.
If they have switched back all will be forgiven, I am still dubious for the time being until those old files open though.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

F.M. wrote:299 dollars for the current version, to use for years to come, the yearly subscription to get any new versions.
According to one post on their forum, the 299 gets one update. Then it that way forever.

Dale
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

Animation Master yearly subscription now $79

But I cheated by buying the program at the comic con if they come to it, and buy the yearly subscription at $80- $100
Hoping to do that again, but the comic con jack their prices for the independent booth people.