how do i get my character to breathe?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

anthillmob007

how do i get my character to breathe?

Post by anthillmob007 »

Hi I noticed that the character Selknam in anime studio 11 appears to breathe....it adds so much life to a standing still character that I have to be able to do this myself for my characters....does anyone know how to do it?
John
anthillmob007

Re: how do i get my character to breathe?

Post by anthillmob007 »

ooh...also just to be awkward..could I have a bone that makes the breathing go from nothing to shallow to normal to heavy breathing when it is turned
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Get some biology book, or a website, and look up the mechanism of breathing. Then you will know which parts of the body are involved and how your character can mimic this. After rigging you can easily mess around with more controls.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
anthillmob007

Post by anthillmob007 »

thanks slowtiger... I will look into your suggestion ..though at the moment im knee deep into several months of long hard slog on my latest superhero cartoon and was hoping someone had a quick fix already worked out. :D
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

What you need is *....drum roll....* INSPIRATION.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

What some people need is more observation. What's so hard to step in front of a mirror and watch oneself doing things?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
anthillmob007

Post by anthillmob007 »

ive seen characters breathe before so I know some people have worked it out already. I was hoping from a simple tutorial from them.
anthillmob007

Post by anthillmob007 »

sorry I thought this was a "how do I" part of the forum.
Not a have a dig or take the piss link.
my mistake.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

anthillmob007 wrote:sorry I thought this was a "how do I" part of the forum.
Not a have a dig or take the piss link.
my mistake.
Get use to it. Everyone here assumes that your over 12 and they don't pander to anyone. The worst thing that can happen here is no response.

Dale
anthillmob007

Post by anthillmob007 »

Thanks dueyftw up unitl today everyone I contacted was really helpful.
I looked at the selknam rig that breathes and even his legs move as he breathes... I love this... and we are talking about a cartoon breathing...watching someone in real life breath would be no help...all today has proved to me is that I shouldn't ask for any help on here. :(
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

well, your question is a bit too general, somewhat akin to "how do I make bits of my character move" - that'll generally be met with responses along the lines of "RTFM" (or, as dueyftw observes, the kiss of death that is silence); and you did kinda answer your own question - and that's a surefire way to attract some p*ss-taking... even my first instinct was to respond with "CPR"...

However, as you observe, one answer to "breathing" is in the selknam rig -- take a look at the subtle bone motion in the shoulders and arms: B4/B11 and B3; in the neck: B5; torso: B1/B2; and right shin: B17. The rig uses point binding -- e.g. to see which torso points are bound to which bone select the body vector layer and then use the bone selection tool.

IMO you might get away with up-down (IK) translate of shoulders (rigged so the upper torso bones follow with the lower one locked) and shoulder bone rotation

for a more cartoony look you might consider two bones at right angles to each other to balloon out the chest; or point motion on the chest or cheeks to expand / contract; or ....
anthillmob007

Post by anthillmob007 »

thanks hayasidist...I will do as you say though im no expert with anime studio and there will be a lot of fumbling ahead.
I thought I had made myself clear in the first post by saying I liked how selknam breathed and wanted to be able to accomplish this....maybe I wasn't clear enough, obviously....
I find any post where people take this piss just gets my back up...
ok I maybe didn't describe what I wanted properly but we are all supposed to be here because we have something in common that we love....and the subject is "how do I".
Todays experience on this forum has told me never ask for help again.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

anthillmob007 wrote:Todays experience on this forum has told me never ask for help again.
If your skin's so thin, that getting this mild response for a question that basically asks 'how do I animate', you may not be cut out for animation. While most people here try very hard to give positive critiques, YouTube comments and the like will not be so kind.
anthillmob007

Post by anthillmob007 »

i take your point...its just that the subject was, how do i...so i asked...
never mind ....i am thicker skinned than that...and i have no intention of giving up animation..cheers.
John
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

This is something I've been wanting to practice lately, too. Here is some analysis geared toward 3D animation, but the timing and spacing principles are the same.

http://brendanbody.blogspot.com/2009/11 ... acino.html