VR and Virtual Monitors

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Markster

VR and Virtual Monitors

Post by Markster »

So, virtual reality has been exploding lately, but what I'm interested in the most is the productivity boost. A new VR app is coming out tomorrow called Virtual Desktop, basically, you can have virtual monitor(s) in virtual reality, the screens can be big or small, curved for flat, etc., obviously, you need a really beefy computer for it (not to mention an expensive VR headset). I have never experienced VR, but I will be getting Google Cardboard soon to demo it with my smartphone to see how I like it.

I'd give it a few more years, when GPUs are much more powerful and 4K VR is accessible, but it looks like this may be the future of productivity. Multi monitors can be simulated this way and it could give content creators a huge productivity boost without spending a fortune on multi monitors. I am also interested in augmented reality and HoloLens, but more interested in VR.

There are a ton of disadvantages though, like how you can't use VR for too long, and of course the difficulty to read text thanks to pixelation (until they release like an 8K one in like 2026). Maybe AR (augmented reality) would be a lot more suitable for something like this.
dkwroot

Re: VR and Virtual Monitors

Post by dkwroot »

Hopefully future VR goggles will be more light weight and form fitting, like a pair of glasses. If they could do that and increase the resolution, something like this would be practical.
Markster

Post by Markster »

That would be augmented reality dkwroot (the glasses thing, AR is completely different than VR). I agree that the resolution needs to be raised, 4K would be great for virtualizing 1080p screens.
ashu31

Post by ashu31 »

Excellent thread..!!
bestazy

Post by bestazy »

I‘m thinking about getting a Oculus Quest
I know it’s impossible to compare it to the cardboard since it’s something completely different, but it’s the only thing I‘m able to compare it to.
The biggest problem with my cardboard is the shitty resolution and the feeling of looking through binoculars :(
Regards, onplanners