Moho 12

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

onurdemirsoy

Moho 12

Post by onurdemirsoy »

I think the name of Anime Studio has changed to Moho. Do you know what changes will come with Moho 12?

Tradley

Re: Moho 12

Post by Tradley »

I'm excited already. :D
I hope we'll hear about the new features soon.
Who says Moho is worse than Adobe Flash?!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Ha ha! If you wait long enough, everything comes round again...Bit of a cheek to say "Moho" is a new name though.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
ernesttx

Post by ernesttx »

Great to see the old name back, I began using it on BeOS at version 2.4 or 2.5 I think.

at moho.smithmicro.com, new features:
Some of the NEW features include:

Bezier Handles

Improved Freehand Tools

Smart Warp for Images & Vectors <--- if this is what I hope it is, I'm excited.

Edit Multiple Layers in the Timeline

Pin Bones

Realistic Motion Blur
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

For me it's great news that the name is Moho again. I can't tell you how awkward it is to try to sell all my employers on a product with a name like Anime Studio Pro. "So... it makes Anime?" "No no no... you see... there was this buyout and then a marketing decision, and..."
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I agree. I never liked the Anime Studio name. Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember how Mike Clifton came up with "Moho?"

I'm happy to see that real motion blur will finally be added.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ronbo wrote:Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember how Mike Clifton came up with "Moho?"
The story behind 'Moho' can be read here: Creator Mike Clifton (aka Mr. Moho) tells the history of Anime Studio.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Cool. Thanks, Greenlaw!
trygve

Post by trygve »

This looks really exciting. They mention "new interface" too.

Improved freehand tools sounds promising for me.
Tradley

Post by Tradley »

I agree on the name. Anime Studio sounds a bit misleading.
Also, Bezier Handles?! Yes!!

:mrgreen:
Who says Moho is worse than Adobe Flash?!
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Moho?? :shock: really?? :shock: is that the best you can come up with Smith Micro?? :shock:
I don't think "Moho" is a very commercial name for an animation program at all. I never liked "anime studio" because it confuses people (I too thought anime studio was an anime-maker before I came back to it), but "Moho" is even worse!. Why not include the "animation" word in the new program´s name, to make it simple for new buyers who don't know the history of anime studio??

Smith Micro doesn't seem to understand the pyramid of potential users of its program:

* pros
*** animations hobbyists
************************************************************************************ beginners and newcomers who are interested in animation.

So, do you rename the product to please its current users and pros, who are going to love the product regardless of its name, or do you address the biggest group of potential new customers who google "animation" and run away when they read "anime" or a word they've never heard in their lives, like moho?
No wonder "Toon boom animation" and "crazytalk animation" multiplied their customer base in that last few years whilst A.S. stayed behind...
Oddernod

Post by Oddernod »

Can't wait to see demos on smart warping and especially the improved drawing tools. I'll be at SIGGRAPH tomorrow and report back.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Telemacus wrote:So, do you rename the product to please its current users and pros, who are going to love the product regardless of its name, or do you address the biggest group of potential new customers who google "animation" and run away when they read "anime" or a word they've never heard in their lives, like moho?
No wonder "Toon boom animation" and "crazytalk animation" multiplied their customer base in that last few years whilst A.S. stayed behind...
AS has never had any problem getting beginners. Aside from its accessible price point, this forum is an invaluable resource for beginners (which few, of any, similarly priced software have). And it's mostly those bottom tier software that make a big deal about having "animation" in its name (and its official name was Toom Boom Studio...nothing about animation in its name...it was the company's name that had "animation" in it). Where AS has had problems competing was with getting pros to adopt it. So going back to Moho is right in line with attracting people who may dismiss AS because of its price, but would be more likely to seriously consider a name like Maya, Harmony, RETAS, Spine, Cacani, Modo, Carrera, etc.. None of which mention "animation" in their name.
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

I'd upgrade for the name change alone! :P
Wonder if the ".anime" extension be changing too?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Fuzatron wrote:I'd upgrade for the name change alone! :P
Wonder if the ".anime" extension be changing too?
Yes, it will. And Moho 12 can read any AS file too.

The name is a great reason to upgrade, but please be sure to also check the new cool features coming with this version :D
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel