First thoughts on Moho Pro 12?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: First thoughts on Moho Pro 12?

Post by Greenlaw »

Here you go.

MeshWarpSmartBones.zip

Sorry, the setup is kinda bad but I didn't want to spend too much time on this. It think the scene demonstrates what we're talking about but if this isn't what you mean, let me know.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Psmith wrote:Wes:

What we've seen demonstrated concerning Smart Meshes has largely been with the examples of face manipulation. That is probably where it is going to be most useful.

Here's an example for which you can write a working Step-by-Step tutorial: Create a Vector Layer for the face. Make the primary structure of the face (without eyes, nose, mouth) influenced by one Smart Mesh. Create individual Vector Layers for eyes, nose, mouth - each also influenced (assigned to) their own Smart Mesh Layers. This form of isolation of features is meant to facilitate a head turn.

Now, without the use of bones, moving and animating each separate Smart Mesh in conjunction with their corresponding Drawing Layer Meshes would not be practical, would it? Neither would animating all of the individual vertices of each Smart Mesh be practical. Also, how do you parent all of the Layers mentioned, first to the face - and the whole group to a body - so it follows where the body goes?

Bones must be used to make this scenario practical.

My hours of experimentation have proven that all of these Layers can be animated individually and distorted, each one, by its corresponding Smart Mesh Layer - however impractical this technique may be. Yet, once you subjugate all of these layers under a Bone Layer - you will see that all of that animation is gone - because it is being overridden by the distortion introduced by the Bones.

Both you and Greenlaw insist that this is not the case. Since I cannot prove this to myself - please show me my error.

Greg Smith
I'd be more than happy to provide the step-by-step if you have a file you can share.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Here it is with the Mesh Warp unhidden:

As you can see, the Mesh Warp is just a vector layer. Once I defined the lower arm bone for the corrective Smart Bone Action, I just pushed a few points around to fix the bad bend deformation in the Action. This part of the process is no different from working with Smart Bone Actions for regular vector art.
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Wes:

First, let me tell you that I am using the Mac version of Moho Pro.

The object of this exercise is to substitute the deformation provided by each Smart Mesh Part for the normal Bone Deformation for that Part - while still retaining all Bone Parenting and Rotation.

A quick description of the file is as follows:

1) All Shapes are on 1 Vector Layer called "Parts".
2) I duplicated this Layer and modified the number of Points, to serve as a Triangulated Smart Mesh Layer, naming it "Mesh".
3) I assigned the "Mesh" Layer to act as the Smart Mesh for the "Parts" Layer
4) I enclosed both of these Layers as sub-layers to a Bone Layer called "Bones"
5) I made a skeleton comprised of 1 Bone per Part - parenting all Bones to the Head Bone.
6) I Bound all specific Smart Mesh Points to each individual Part Bone.

Just to compare your results with mine, try the following:

1) Move Time Cursor to frame 1
2) Use the Translate Bone Tool to try and move any Bone.

My result has the effect of simply Warping that Part in a strange and random way, instead of moving each individual Smart Mesh Part as a whole.

Just to be sure, I also tried Binding the "Parts" Layer Points to each respective Bone, as well - same result.

Sorry - but I no longer have a DropBox account - so I'm not sure how to provide you with the Moho File, otherwise. I have tried to attach a video demonstrating the problem.

My hope goes with you,

Greg Smith
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greg, it sounds, and looks, like the bone influence on both the "parts" shape and the warp mesh are fighting each other. Try this. On the parts layer, select all the points and use the menu command Bone>Release points. This will leave them only influenced by the warp mesh, which is influenced by the point-bound bones.

Your results might make for a good particle effect though.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I'm so pleased it's now called MOHO again and the new features / improvements look amazing :D

Has anyone had an upgrade email from Smith Micro yet? I've not received anything as yet.
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Wes:

That was it! Now everything works as expected. Maybe my original result would also be good for some kind of trippy "water effect", too.

Thanks so much for your help.

Greg Smith
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

thecrave wrote:Hello all! I was wondering about everyone's first impression of MSP 12.

-Crave
I upgraded even though it was twice what I've paid in the past, and I'm very happy I did.

Why? I think that Mike, Victor et al. have really made a strong statement with Moho 12. The GUI improvements, all the great new features, the name change, and yes, even the price increase, all say that this is a professional level application with a wonderful toolset.

Even though I have Toonboom Animate Pro I don't see the need to use it any more. I also have TVPaint Animation which is a fantastic program for FBF natural media animation, but Moho has now become a very versatile animation program that is both powerful and FUN! I also LOVE After Effects, but Moho's new motion blur and smart mesh make me feel a little less need for AE. And I love the improved freehand drawing tool and the variety of natural brushes.

This is a very solid upgrade IMHO.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Psmith wrote:Wes:

That was it! Now everything works as expected. Maybe my original result would also be good for some kind of trippy "water effect", too.

Thanks so much for your help.

Greg Smith
Water effect...absolutely! And glad I could help.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Wow, that's a pretty cool effect! water creature that distorts when it moves... very cool :D
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

AmigaMan wrote:I'm so pleased it's now called MOHO again and the new features / improvements look amazing :D

Has anyone had an upgrade email from Smith Micro yet? I've not received anything as yet.
Agreed :D
If you mean an email with the offer for the vids and Chucky pack, you can just use the banner at the top of the Moho page now... I'd been waiting for an email too. Heh