Upgrading and removing older versions

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Pesto

Upgrading and removing older versions

Post by Pesto »

I haven't upgrade from ASPro 11 at this point but if/when I do, do I need to keep ASPro 11 on my computer when installing Moho so it recognizes I have the previous version? In other words, if I remove ASPro 11 prior to downloading and installing Moho 12, will it not let me because the installer doesn't see the previous version on my system?

If I do need ASPro 11 to be on my system to install Moho 12, will there be any (functional) harm to the Moho 12 install if I remove ASPro 11 after installing Moho?

Hope this isn't to confusing but I need to keep my HD as lean as possible.

System: MBP 15" Mid 2105 OSX 10.11.6
synthsin75

Re: Upgrading and removing older versions

Post by synthsin75 »

No, you don't need ASP 11 installed when installing Moho 12, even when upgrading.
Pesto

Post by Pesto »

Thanks synthsin75
mattchee

Post by mattchee »

I can still have this on two computers right?

Actually, what I WANT to do is this: I have AS 11 on a desktop in my office and my Surface Pro 3. I don't really EVER use it on my surface (too tedious, I like working on a big monitor -s SP3 is great for drawing though). SO, when I upgrade I want to do away with AS 11 on the SP3, and put Moho 12 on the office desktop that currently has AS11 and then ANOTHER desktop in a different room (the living room computer so I can work while the wife watches TV, and not complain that I'm holed up in my office all night :wink: ).

My concern is that I'm going to have to do some license kung fu to get the license from the SP3 over to the living room desktop... Do I need to move/remove the license from the SP3 before I uninstall AS11 from the SP3, or can I just uninstall it, update the office desktop, and do a fresh install in the livingroom and not have to worry about it?

Or am I allowed 3 computers and I'm asking this question for nothing?
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

mattchee wrote:I can still have this on two computers right?

Actually, what I WANT to do is this: I have AS 11 on a desktop in my office and my Surface Pro 3. I don't really EVER use it on my surface (too tedious, I like working on a big monitor -s SP3 is great for drawing though). SO, when I upgrade I want to do away with AS 11 on the SP3, and put Moho 12 on the office desktop that currently has AS11 and then ANOTHER desktop in a different room (the living room computer so I can work while the wife watches TV, and not complain that I'm holed up in my office all night :wink: ).

My concern is that I'm going to have to do some license kung fu to get the license from the SP3 over to the living room desktop... Do I need to move/remove the license from the SP3 before I uninstall AS11 from the SP3, or can I just uninstall it, update the office desktop, and do a fresh install in the livingroom and not have to worry about it?

I have 11 on a SP3, a desktop PC, and a mac with no problems, fwiw :)
I'm wondering about the whole deactivation/reactivation thing. I'm thinking they limit your number of activations per year or something(??) Maybe someone can clarify. I only have 12 on on one machine so far.
mattchee

Post by mattchee »

Fuzatron wrote:
mattchee wrote:I can still have this on two computers right?

I have 11 on a SP3, a desktop PC, and a mac with no problems, fwiw :)
I'm wondering about the whole deactivation/reactivation thing. I'm thinking they limit your number of activations per year or something(??) Maybe someone can clarify. I only have 12 on on one machine so far.
OH. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing then. For some reason I thought there was a complicated process. Some software makes it so difficult, sometimes involving a separate application just to manage it. I get that it protects them from people abusing the licenses, but sometimes it can be a little too complicated.

Anyhow! I will just go ahead and install as planned and see what happens, I guess!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

You can have Moho 12 installed on up to three machines (but can only use one at a time). And you can deactivate through the menu, if you need to move one to another machine.
mattchee

Post by mattchee »

synthsin75 wrote:You can have Moho 12 installed on up to three machines (but can only use one at a time). And you can deactivate through the menu, if you need to move one to another machine.
Oh, three? That's the answer to all of my issues. :D
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

mattchee wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:You can have Moho 12 installed on up to three machines (but can only use one at a time). And you can deactivate through the menu, if you need to move one to another machine.
Oh, three? That's the answer to all of my issues. :D
I lost one activation for AS10 and another of AS11 on 2 dead harddrive, and now down to one activation, and I own 3 computers. Each time I get a new version I ask to remedy this in support department. It would be nice to get all three activation back and start from fresh. This will be the third time asking, anything I can do to make this easier to start over fresh.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

ruscular3d wrote:I lost one activation for AS10 and another of AS11 on 2 dead harddrive, and now down to one activation, and I own 3 computers. Each time I get a new version I ask to remedy this in support department. It would be nice to get all three activation back and start from fresh. This will be the third time asking, anything I can do to make this easier to start over fresh.
Each major version has a different serial number and its own three activation seats. So if you lost one for AS10 and one for AS11, you still have two each. Plus you can use Help>Manage licenses to remove activations.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

synthsin75 wrote:
ruscular3d wrote:I lost one activation for AS10 and another of AS11 on 2 dead harddrive, and now down to one activation, and I own 3 computers. Each time I get a new version I ask to remedy this in support department. It would be nice to get all three activation back and start from fresh. This will be the third time asking, anything I can do to make this easier to start over fresh.
Each major version has a different serial number and its own three activation seats. So if you lost one for AS10 and one for AS11, you still have two each. Plus you can use Help>Manage licenses to remove activations.
Not able to do that from a dead Hard drive!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

ruscular3d wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:Each major version has a different serial number and its own three activation seats. So if you lost one for AS10 and one for AS11, you still have two each. Plus you can use Help>Manage licenses to remove activations.
You can manage all activations from any active machine...it's a webpage.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

synthsin75 wrote:
ruscular3d wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:Each major version has a different serial number and its own three activation seats. So if you lost one for AS10 and one for AS11, you still have two each. Plus you can use Help>Manage licenses to remove activations.
You can manage all activations from any active machine...it's a webpage.
Active machine is the keyword! So I tried reinstalling the software on a new Harddrive on the same machine and that did not work! The activation is on a dead harddrive. and no way to activate the old machine with the dead Hard drive. So the active machine that the saoftware and webpage recognize is no longer exist.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

ruscular3d wrote:Active machine is the keyword! So I tried reinstalling the software on a new Harddrive on the same machine and that did not work! The activation is on a dead harddrive. and no way to activate the old machine with the dead Hard drive. So the active machine that the saoftware and webpage recognize is no longer exist.
You said you have at least one available activation...so is that used on a working machine somewhere? If so, you can access all activations (on all machines) from the one you have active...again, on whatever machine. You make it sound like you've burned through all your activations on dead machines? So...you don't have any version of AS installed on any working machine?
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

synthsin75 wrote:
ruscular3d wrote:Active machine is the keyword! So I tried reinstalling the software on a new Harddrive on the same machine and that did not work! The activation is on a dead harddrive. and no way to activate the old machine with the dead Hard drive. So the active machine that the saoftware and webpage recognize is no longer exist.
You said you have at least one available activation...so is that used on a working machine somewhere? If so, you can access all activations (on all machines) from the one you have active...again, on whatever machine. You make it sound like you've burned through all your activations on dead machines? So...you don't have any version of AS installed on any working machine?
I have only one machine that is able to hold a working copy, the other 2 says I have used up my copy on another hard drive which is fried