Auto freeze keyframes for layer, too?

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Reindeer

Auto freeze keyframes for layer, too?

Post by Reindeer »

I like the auto-freeze feature introduced in Moho12 very much. Quickens things quite a bit. Unless I'm wrong, it only works with bones, but it'd be nice if it would freeze the layer's transition, rotation and scale as well, since those are used just as much.
funksmaname

Re: Auto freeze keyframes for layer, too?

Post by funksmaname »

I think what it's effectively doing is 'freezing' any other element that would be effected on the same animation channel - so 'all points' or 'all bones' since many different points/bones live on those tracks it makes sure they are all kept in situ. The freezing is more about locking a pose, and layer transformation/rotation/scale is effectively a level above 'pose' (if that makes any sense)
Glen Crowell

Post by Glen Crowell »

Auto freeze key frames is cool, but the manual says it only freezes all bones in the active bone layer. Not layer level or point layers. I've tested it for "Freeze all points" but I don't think it works on a vector layer.

One way around this, sorta, is to bind points to Pin Bones or regular bones so that they get keyed with the bones keys. This might work for mouths and eyelids where either you don't want to use Smart bone dials or they don't go far enough and need to be tweaked.

For layer animation you could bind a whole layer to a bone to use Auto Key Framing.

Hope this helps.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

The manual is lacking. Auto-freeze keys does work for points. Say you have a four point circle. Move only one point on frame 12 and then move the others at frame 24. Without auto-freeze, the three points not keyed on frame 12 will interpolate from frame zero to frame 24. With auto-freeze, the three points not keyed on frame 12 don't start moving until frame 12. They have an automatic hold key set for all points any time any points are keyframed.

Bones just have three separate transform channels that are all auto-frozen.

But most animation should not be pose to pose, where everything starts and stops moving together. Auto-freeze keys is good for initial blocking.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

As said I find autofreeze useful but I'd like to see it extended so one can also use it with Layer position, scale and rotation.
Glen Crowell

Post by Glen Crowell »

Thank you synthsin75! I should have tested that myself. Very cool. I thought I had to go under the draw menu and manualy select "Freeze points".
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

Reindeer wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:43 am As said I find autofreeze useful but I'd like to see it extended so one can also use it with Layer position, scale and rotation.
Is this something that you can do in Moho 14? Seems like no.

But it would be really neat for people like me that work with images and warps instead of the drawing tools in Moho! You could quickly make an image move without having to create a mesh or warp it. Like just really simple fast stuff yknow? :D
"Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure; men love in haste but they detest at leisure" - Lord Byron
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

TheMinahBird wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:43 am
Reindeer wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:43 am As said I find autofreeze useful but I'd like to see it extended so one can also use it with Layer position, scale and rotation.
Is this something that you can do in Moho 14? Seems like no.

But it would be really neat for people like me that work with images and warps instead of the drawing tools in Moho!
Ok - so help me here to scope an enhancement request:

What scope would you want to freeze? just the active layer? or to include some set of its relatives (e.g. parent / siblings / ...)
and is that to freeze just: position, scale, rotation (z) or would that extend to rotation (x,y), shear? and maybe other layer animated effects (e.g. visibility, shadows ...)
TheMinahBird wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:43 am You could quickly make an image move without having to create a mesh or warp it. Like just really simple fast stuff yknow? :D
this bit I don't get ... it isn't obvious to me how auto-freeze the layer would remove the need for a warp-mesh... or maybe should the layer also auto-freeze any warping bones / mesh??? (starting to get maybe too complicated???)
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

So like y'know how when you work with bones if you have auto-freeze on you can just move a bone and the other channels key with it? This same idea just for layers essentially.

You rotate a layer, it'll key scale and position too. You scale on a different frame the other two positions key as well.

That's it! Just so you don't have to manually keep keying the notches for the other transformations every time you make a change.

And sorry for being redundant with my last part, I was just trying to explain why someone would ask for this instead of creating a warp or bone set up. (which has auto-freeze as an option)
"Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure; men love in haste but they detest at leisure" - Lord Byron
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

TheMinahBird wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:06 am So like y'know how when you work with bones if you have auto-freeze on you can just move a bone and the other channels key with it? This same idea just for layers essentially.
You rotate a layer, it'll key scale and position too. You scale on a different frame the other two positions key as well.
So ONLY z rotation, translation and scale -- and NOT shear, (x,y) rotation, visibility ...? and ONLY on the active layer?
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

Yes correct!
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

that request is logged.