Bone Dynamics and Targets

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jayfaker

Bone Dynamics and Targets

Post by jayfaker »

I continually run into a problem where I want to make a rig with both dynamic bones and bones targeting the ends of dynamic bones. As you see below, I want the rope bones on the right to connect to the target bone, but they don't even try to point at the target when any of the bones have dynamics enabled. I've also tried linking an independent bone to the target bone with a position constraint, but the position constraint has no effect.

I guess the positions of bones with dynamics are never calculated for bones outside of the dynamics hierarchy? Is there a workaround or a switch somewhere I don't know about?

jayfaker

Re: Bone Dynamics and Targets

Post by jayfaker »

Heh. I guess the solution is do it by hand, of course. You know, actually animate it. :roll: I just figured it'd be an easy way to make a natural movement. Oh well.
chucky

Post by chucky »

just guessing a couple of suggestions.
Can you put a pin bone at the bottom of the top chain then make that the target for the joining bones and have them point up to the center?
Or just use pin bones between sections, I think pin bones have 'magic' properties when it come to inverse kinematics, maybe that mmight have some influence in dynamics.
Just some guesesing here have no time to try, be interesting to find out if anything like that works.
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

chucky wrote:just guessing a couple of suggestions.
Can you put a pin bone at the bottom of the top chain then make that the target for the joining bones and have them point up to the center?
Or just use pin bones between sections, I think pin bones have 'magic' properties when it come to inverse kinematics, maybe that mmight have some influence in dynamics.
Just some guesesing here have no time to try, be interesting to find out if anything like that works.
Hmmm... I don't have Moho 12, but having bones pointing backwards up the hierarchy might work. I'll let you know what happens!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

As far as I understand this is a heavy object attached to two ropes, right? But you don't need to put your bones where the ropes are. The object is a simple pendulum, it only needs one bone (chain) attached to its middle. The two ropes forming the triangle normally wouldn't bend in any direction.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
chucky

Post by chucky »

slowtiger wrote:As far as I understand this is a heavy object attached to two ropes, right? But you don't need to put your bones where the ropes are. The object is a simple pendulum, it only needs one bone (chain) attached to its middle. The two ropes forming the triangle normally wouldn't bend in any direction.
Yeah that too! :)