Display Quality > Bones

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

formxshape

Display Quality > Bones

Post by formxshape »

In the little "Display Quality" menu in the main window can we have the option "Bones" just to very quickly and simply hide / show all bones(while not unsetting any individually hidden bones).

Can you take bones out of the setting "Paths" within Display Quality - bones are not paths, they are bones. Ok I can see why they hide, as they are drawn using paths and in your code that's how you're filtering for the Display Quality setting. but please go a bit further with your coding and create a separate class for bones so they can be filtered independently to 'paths' :-)

Currently the workflow involves selecting all bones, and hiding them, then when showing them *all* again, meaning if you have any bones hidden by default as part of your rig, you've not got to re-hide those. And all you wanted was to quickly get the bones out of view so you could tweak a path within the artwork.

Thanking you in advance:-)
synthsin75

Re: Display Quality > Bones

Post by synthsin75 »

Set bones as "shy" to rehide them after showing all bones. There a separate menu command to do so.
formxshape

Post by formxshape »

Yes but that requires setting all the required bones to shy, if you have 20 and just very quickly want to hide bones to edit a path, it's quite an arduous work flow.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

You *should* be able to plan which bones you need to be shy as you build a rig.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I agree that bones and paths should have separate visibility options. I use Shy for specific bones during rigging, and I don't really wish to enable shy for all bones.

But, for now, I think what Wes described is all we have.

It is possible to Hide Selected bones, which is separate from Shy. Unfortunately, the 'show' commands are not complete--you can hide and show Shy bones separately from hidden bones but you can't show hidden bones without revealing the Shy bones, so after using Show All Bones, you have to go back and also select Hide/Show Shy Bones...every time. Also, Hide Selected Bones requires that you keep selecting the bones you wish to temporarily hide, which gets tedious if you need to to that often. Ideally, we should have a native system for user defined bone sets with options to hide and show (not Shy) selected sets. I guess that's actually a separate issue but it's related and necessary for a complete bones management system.

So, yeah, it is a little cumbersome. Hopefully, we'll see more bones options in a future release.

BTW, there is a script for creating bone groups (sets), which might help for now. If I'm not mistaken, I think Wes created it. If you do a search for bone groups in these forums, it should turn up.

(Hmm. Now that I'm thinking about it, I need to try it myself.) :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah, here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30540&p=173813&hil ... up#p173813

DKWRoot created it.

I haven't tried it yet. Will check it out this afternoon.