I Need Help With Character Rigging Methods

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

masusaca

I Need Help With Character Rigging Methods

Post by masusaca »

First of all, I am sorry if some similar problem has been posted and if this is not the right section. I feel that my issue is a little bit bigger.

I created a character from Dragon Ball in Moho. I am trying to learn how to rig characters. So, I been watching videos for the past three days and reading some topics in this forum. Now, the problem comes when I am trying to rig the character. I don't know what or how am I supposed to correctly rig it but it is not working. I tried flexi bones and binding. It's not working. Sometimes it part of its bodh stretches or shrinks a lot when moving the bone. I tried several things to fix it and nothig so far. Other times it doesn't even connect with other parts. By connect I mean bending with the other close layer. It just moves onlg that layer and you can see the cut-out of the shape. Please, help me on this. I been trying really hard to understand bone rigging in Moho. Sorry if there are some misspelled words as I typed this from a cellphone.
masusaca

Re: I Need Help With Character Rigging Methods

Post by masusaca »

The first link doesn't help me that much. The second does explain from the beginning but the problem is that for me the problem still is irrelevant to those others. It is so frustrating because I been trying to fix this for the past two to three day and not luck so far.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

masusaca wrote:First of all, I am sorry if some similar problem has been posted and if this is not the right section. I feel that my issue is a little bit bigger.
Did your original thread not help?
masusaca

Post by masusaca »

neeters_guy wrote:
masusaca wrote:First of all, I am sorry if some similar problem has been posted and if this is not the right section. I feel that my issue is a little bit bigger.
Did your original thread not help?
Not for this issue. This character has more layers which makes it harder to rig. That's why I wanted to make a different post.
masusaca

Post by masusaca »

I feel I am getting closer to fixing the problem but every time I fix one, another problem happens. This is the rig character I am working on. Please, if you could at least try to work on a single part of his body and see if you can get the smooth bending between each layer.
https://jumpshare.com/v/VsfdOGWf7gyJ8suCTdpH
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

The command to use is "Use Selected Bones for Flexi-Binding".
For example, to bind the left arm:
1) Highlight top bone "Layer 16".
2) Use the Select Bone tool and selected left arm bones (B6, B7, B8).
3) Open up the Left Arm folder, go to the first vector layer and Select All Points (ctrl+A).
4) Under the Bone menu, click Use Selected Bones for Flexi-Binding (ctrl+shift+F).
5) Repeat for every vector layer.

Repeat this for every part of the body as needed (make sure to select the correct bones first). This should eliminate the influence of unwanted bones.

Hope that helps.
masusaca

Post by masusaca »

neeters_guy wrote: For example, to bind the left arm:
1) Highlight top bone "Layer 16".
2) Use the Select Bone tool and selected left arm bones (B6, B7, B8).
3) Open up the Left Arm folder, go to the first vector layer and Select All Points (ctrl+A).
4) Under the Bone menu, click Use Selected Bones for Flexi-Binding (ctrl+shift+F).
5) Repeat for every vector layer.
Hey, thanks for the reply and help. I appreciate it a lot. I will try it out later but looking at the animation I see some cut-outs. Can you please give me a tip on how I can fix that?

To be more specific, the legs. When her jumps sideways you can see that the middle part of both legs is not connected or merge. I don't know how to explain it as I am not used to Moho. Like, they are not stretching enough to not cause that gap between both legs. Thank you once again.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I would add a downward bone from the waist bone (B1). Then point bind the upper inside of the legs to it, which will hold those points in place. The bone can be manipulated as need to fix any gaps.
masusaca

Post by masusaca »

neeters_guy wrote:I would add a downward bone from the waist bone (B1). Then point bind the upper inside of the legs to it, which will hold those points in place. The bone can be manipulated as need to fix any gaps.
So, it is best to work on point binding then? It makes every other layer bend nicely when animating I assume.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Yes, but it depends on the range of motion required for the character. Deciding what method to use comes from lots of testing as you rig. Eventually, you'll come up with something that works for you.