Clip Studio, dropping Smith Micro?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

herbert123

Re: Clip Studio, dropping Smith Micro?

Post by herbert123 »

uncle808us wrote:This was done with Poser Pro Game Dev 10.0.5.30556 and Clip Studio Paint EX Ver.1.7.3
That ain't half bad, actually. Quite like it.
exile

Post by exile »

Thanks, Herbert, and to all who related their experiences and drew their conclusions from them. Those interested in pursuing the possibilities of Blender can take a look at the interesting thread Herbert initiated on Grease Pencil. I'm personally not so interested in generalizations about a software or a musical instrument. What counts for me are specifics.Right-click to select doesn't bug me, Alt A to play or stop the animation does. It seems to be human nature to try out more than one possibility from time to time. Tools and goals will never fit together perfectly unless you can design your own software. What I am looking for at this point is a 2D software that allows for a drawing-based work flow with enough crutches to at least partly compensate for my deficits as an artist. When I spend most of my time with rigs my drawing doesn't get any better. Greg's (OpenToonz Training, as his YouTube channel was called) tutorials on Blender GP got me interested, but I didn't find a way forward after that. In the meantime various tutorials have gone online. Last night I was consternated that I couldn't copy and paste frames with Ctrl C and Ctrl V, but one Google query provided the solution: Shift C to duplicate a frame and G and drag to move it to the desired frame. Counter-intuitive or differently intuitive?
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com
chucky

Post by chucky »

Actually, rigging in Toon Boom is nasty and l don't like the timeline graph, that is clunky. Frame by Frame and the nodal compositing are super easy and sensible.
I'm not going to make any comparative lists but I think we have had a simular exposure including on the Amiga (hey do remember digipaint? :D ) I haven't used Houdini though . Maya did have several issues that were really out of step, every app does ( Moho does my head in sometimes ) but I never found myself road blocked so long at the starting line with anything as much as Blender , l think this is Commonplace , I'm sure you won't argue that the way Blender has used the left and right clicks are very different to almost all commonly used apps and put many people wrong footed from the outset , no matter how 'clever' they might be :mrgreen:
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

Oh, I agree - the first thing I change in Blender is switching to the left mouse button, and there are other GUI related issues that ought to be resolved in Blender. The 2.8 release will be addressing a number of these, and the developers are aware of the keyboard shortcut mess.

Having said this, Blender's usability has improved leaps and bounds in the past few years. And there are many things that I find so incredibly convenient workflow-wise that are missing in most other animation applications. For example, panning the view with the MMB - including the timeline. Or the seamless GUI scaling that just works phenomenally well. Or that Blender remembers exactly where you left off last time you quite working on a scene.

The good things in the GUI by far outweigh the less-than-great ones.

I remember Digipaint :D
And Disney animation studio (was it called that?). My first "proper" 3d app was Sculpt/Animate 4d. A wireframe render of my first spaceship flyby animation took minutes to render. A full raytrace took a day.

Good times (or maybe not :D )
chucky

Post by chucky »

Well l am certainly willing to give Blender another go if they can at least give options for those issues . Yes 3D in Amiga , I used it too , had to leave computer renderings over the weekend for a few seconds.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

chucky wrote:Hey Darth love the Clip work 8)
Thanks so much chucky!

I almost thought this was the Blender thread for a second, lol.

Anyone make comics in CSP or use it for boarding? It's very tempting.

Today's CSP sketch:
chucky

Post by chucky »

I use it all the time, not for boarding though, Toon Boom is really the best for that as it has all the pdf formatting and stuff the studios need.
I did do a little ( very limited) fbf a few weeks back though in Clip Studio...
Here it is again for all it is worth.
:D

In case you are wondering the animals are A quoll, a pademelon and a bandicoot , all available in my backyard.
exile

Post by exile »

Great work posted here!
Steve

herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

Storyboarder is quite nice too. Can't compare to TB, but still quite useful if you don't want to splash out all that money. Needs a good computer for smooth drawing.
https://wonderunit.com/storyboarder/
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yes storyboarder has great potential, I hope it gets to be industry standard quality.
I have to say though TBS new raster brush engine is pretty amazing, I would normally stick to vector for boarding but I've got sucked in by the capabilities
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

herbert123 wrote:Storyboarder is quite nice too. Can't compare to TB, but still quite useful if you don't want to splash out all that money. Needs a good computer for smooth drawing.
https://wonderunit.com/storyboarder/
Yes, Storyboarder is pretty easy to use. My 11-year old daughter Sienna animated a short film recently, and she quickly learned the program and knocked out her storyboard in about an hour. (Actually, she was 10 when she made this short.) I don't have a copy of her storyboard online but here's her film (mostly animated in TV Paint):

IMO, Storyboarder doesn't replace TB Storyboard for professional use; it still lacks many basic features, like separate BG/MG/FG layers. I also think it could get awkward to manage larger projects with a hundred or more panels. On the plus side, if you find the drawing tools lacking, Storyboarder does let you link panels to Photoshop so you can use the tools there.

Of course, TB Storyboard is very expensive and Storyboarder is free, so I do recommend Storyboarder for beginners and hobbyists, and users who don't need all the bells and whistles of TB. My daughter certainly likes using Storyboarder and I'm sure she gives it a thumbs up too. :)

(P.S., TV Paint has a terrific storyboarding system built inside the program...no need for a separate program. I haven't applied it to actual production work yet but maybe later this year.)

(P.P.S., Sienna is still learning to rig and animate in Moho, so maybe her next film will be created with it?)
exile

Post by exile »

Way to go, Sienna, you're talented in every department!
Steve

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks! I'll let her know you liked it. :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

That was awesome , you must be proud of her.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Greenlaw wrote: My 11-year old daughter Sienna animated a short film recently, and she quickly learned the program and knocked out her storyboard in about an hour. (Actually, she was 10 when she made this short.) I don't have a copy of her storyboard online but here's her film (mostly animated in TV Paint):
Omg Greenlaw that's awesome! Big thumbs up to your daughter.

Also chucky I'd never heard of a quoll or pademelon before, I had to look those up. It's a party in your backyard!

Today's sketch: