Looking for someone who can tutor for a week East Coast US

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AniVA

Looking for someone who can tutor for a week East Coast US

Post by AniVA »

I'd like to learn how to animate my oil paintings using Moho Pro 12. I have an example of a goal animation for a starting point. I have also been using PaintShop Pro X9. I will travel for tutoring. Ideally this can be forty hours in one week. I can stretch the hours out over a month if needed. I want to feel much more comfortable with Moho and PaintShop Pro. I'll be happy with "monkey-see, monkey-do" tasks related to my paintings' animation. Probably my goals are basic but non-mainstream. I'd like to understand lettering and sound too. Please help get me going faster! Thank you!
jahnocli

Re: Looking for someone who can tutor for a week East Coast

Post by jahnocli »

In the meantime, you could take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoL_KQCxEjA
or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT-sgcMAmPk
Last edited by jahnocli on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
AniVA

Post by AniVA »

Thank you very much!!! That was very interesting! That's basically what I want to do but with machines. Sure wish he was a tutor living down the street!!!! That Stayf is great!!! Thanks again! :-)
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I live 90 mi north of NYC near Kingston NY. I have odd working hours, night shift and over time. My skype is the same as my user name. contact me with "Moho user" in the request. I can get you started and point to the videos you need to watch for the type of animation you are trying to do.

Dale
AniVA

Post by AniVA »

Thank you very much Dale!!! I sent a PM since I don't have Skype or a good high-volume Internet connection. I'll look forward to any YouTube video about techniques that apply to learning about my demo animation. I appreciate any help! I still would like to find a tutor. Thanks again!!!
AniVA

Post by AniVA »

Now that it feels like I am getting closer to having my first two minute drama happen I'm starting to think I need a better ending. A payoff sort of. I've thought of the animation for about a year--and I never really focused in on the ending. I'll talk to some more people I know this week about story. Now I am wondering if animators usually think of their entire story at once or grab onto a concept and develop it into something? How? Just keep thinking or talk it out? Both? Any thoughts? Thank you!!! Can I ask the people watching to create or help create an ending? That might be fun.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You could tak a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrDP7v9Zrvs
He's talking about webcomics (quite humorously!), but it could easily be about animation
-- this is his vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperDeathShow

And take a look at Doug TenNapel's tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAUi7Nn3LM
Whoops -- meant to use this link (try about 1 minute 20 in)...!

Thirdly, I have used Lajos Egri's book "The Art of Dramatic Writing" quite a lot.
It's not an easy book, but it does repay close examination, especially regarding premises.
Hope this helps...
Last edited by jahnocli on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AniVA

Post by AniVA »

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I watched the first video--it was great!!!!! That video was just what I needed! I've started the second...and ordered the book on Amazon! The book sounds really, really excellent!!! Thank you again!!!!!!
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

AniVA wrote: ... Now I am wondering if animators usually think of their entire story at once or grab onto a concept and develop it into something?
I guess we're talking short film not features -- so I'll interpret "animator" as the "jack of all trades who writes it, draws it, animates it, ..." But the focus of this part of your question seems to be on the screenwriting component of that? If so this might help: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/arts/ ... play.shtml
Speaking personally: All / any of the above -- I might start with a picture in my imagination that would form the ending; or I want to tell a joke - so I need to imagine how I'd draw the punchline; or something in the press / online triggers my imagination; or ... That gets captured often as a picture or as a short paragraph - IOW the initial "treatment" is a scrappy sketch.
AniVA wrote: How? Just keep thinking or talk it out? Both? Any thoughts? Thank you!!!

I usually think in pictures and scribble down the scrappiest thumbnails as notes - IOW a pictorial "beat sheet" / not-quite-storyboard. but it is complete.

and then it gets revised.
and revised...

and then I ask my better half what she thinks
and then it gets revised.

And now we have more or less the First Draft screenplay - even if it's not actually presented / formatted as a standard screenplay would be.

BUT at this point I'm still a loooong way from starting animation...

AniVA wrote:Can I ask the people watching to create or help create an ending? That might be fun
Sure - share what you have and be prepared for critique / contributions...
AniVA

Post by AniVA »

Thank you very much for your insights!!! My ending came to me as I was reading the BBC link! Yahooo! Those experienced writers hit the nail on the head! It's kind of funny how I flatter myself into thinking about my little animation-to-be as a "story." And I can see it really does need the dramatic elements to make even a tiny-two-minute animation interesting. The more I think about the scenes the more real it seems! I'm getting closer and closer!

Thanks again!!!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I found this useful too (more comic book planning I'm afraid!). A Danish guy this time called Palle Schmidt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lmWoXWh3M
If you're looking to get straight to it, start around the 5 minute 40 second mark, although he does have some useful stuff to say before that...
AniVA

Post by AniVA »

Thank you very much jahnocli!!! I appreciate your help!!!