Can't export as gif (Anime studio pro 11)

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

breedrill

Can't export as gif (Anime studio pro 11)

Post by breedrill »

As the title says, I can't export my animation as a .gif file. Sometimes it'll open up the render window, then close immediately--other times it'll fully render/export, but the file is 0 bytes.

Any way to fix this?
Greenlaw

Re: Can't export as gif (Anime studio pro 11)

Post by Greenlaw »

It should work. I use this feature routinely to post short looping examples in this forum.

Does your animation render to PNG sequence okay? If not, the issue may not be GIF export related.

If it does render the PNG sequence, import that sequence into an empty project and render your GIF from that. Be sure to preview render a representative frame and click Sample GIF Colors first.

Let me know if this works. I've never had to do this myself so just curious.
breedrill

Post by breedrill »

I tried both--nothing works. It exports fine, then the file is 0 bytes and cannot be read/opened.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Seems I've run into that a few times. I don't remember what fixed it, but try disabling multi-threaded rendering or increasing the number of colors used to render it.
breedrill

Post by breedrill »

No dice :( This is really inconvenient--especially given that I have a commissioner waiting for a .gif animation I made in AS.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's really odd that it's not working on your system...but here's an alternative method:

You can export as a PNG sequence from Moho and then compile the GIF in another program. Photoshop, for example, can compile GIF from an image sequence. I've also used AfterEffects (with a 3rd party script,) TVPaint and other programs to convert a sequence to GIF. GIMP and ImageMagick are some free programs that can do this.

There are also many free online websites that will accept a PNG sequence upload, and compile a GIF you can download. For example, my daughter uses a free website called AlpacaDouga to convert her FireAlpaca animations to GIF to use as sprites in Scratch.

There are also standalone utilities that do this, some free, some paid.

Still wondering though, does ASP on your computer not render GIF for any project or just this particular project?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If you want to PM me a link to the file, I'll test it in ASP11 and see what the problem is. Or at least render it for you.