Modified magnet and points tools.

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dkwroot

Modified magnet and points tools.

Post by dkwroot »

MAGNET TOOL:
I added different falloff strengths for the magnet tool. You can now choose between: linear, smooth, spherical, random, constant and cylindrical falloff strengths.
DOWNLOAD: n/a

TRANSLATE POINTS TOOL:
You can now move the point of rotation. Simply hold <shift><alt> and click to move the point of rotation to where you please. You can center the rotation by simply pressing the "center" button.
DOWNLOAD: n/a
Last edited by dkwroot on Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Re: Modified magnet and points tools.

Post by Greenlaw »

You can now move the point of rotation.
I always wanted that!

Thanks for making these mods. I'll check them out right now.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Thank you very much for the generous contribution!
"and then Man created god!"
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Awesome! thanks mate :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The mod works like a charm and it's been super useful! Thanks.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hello, I have been using this tool to animate a cloth made with a mesh. Thank you very much for it, It works very well
Now, I was thinking it would be very useful to have a rotation option for the magnet (probably with a key modifier and dragging the mouse left or right). Do you think that is an option possible to add to this script?
I tried to do something myself, but my knowledge is still too basic.
Thank you very much again!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

Do you mean spiraling?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

dkwroot wrote:Do you mean spiraling?
Yes, I'm thinking about rotating the points clockwise and counter-clockwise using the magnet strength.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I have a general question about installing modified tools like the Modified Magnet and Modified Transform Points tools. I've been overwriting the original native tool files with the modified tool files, which works fine, but lately, I've been placing custom scripts and tools in the Custom Content Directory, which has been preferable because the files will available to future program updates and it doesn't alter the original installation files.

Can I do the same with modified tool files too? If so, where in the Content Folder do the modified tool files go? I tried placing them in [DriveName]:\Content\Moho Pro\scripts\tool_pro and ...\tool but that didn't seem to work; Moho defaulted to the original tool scripts. I can only get the mods to work by overwriting the native files in C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Moho 12.4\Resources\Support\scripts\tool_pro and C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Moho 12.4\Resources\Support\scripts\tool.

(FYI, it's not just these scripts; I have other tool mods I'd like to move to the Content Folder.)

Thanks in advance for any info.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:I have a general question about installing modified tools like the Modified Magnet and Transform Points tools. I've been overwriting the original native tool files with the modified tool files, which works fine, but lately, I've been placing custom scripts and tools in the Custom Content Directory, which has been preferable because the files will available to future program updates and it doesn't alter the original installation files.

Can I do the same with modified tool files too? If so, where in the Content Folder do the modified tool files go? I tried placing them in [DriveName]:\Content\Moho Pro\scripts\tool_pro and ...\tool but that didn't seem to work; Moho defaulted to the original tool scripts. I can only get the mods to work by overwriting the native files in C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Moho 12.4\Resources\Support\scripts\tool_pro and C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Moho 12.4\Resources\Support\scripts\tool.

(FYI, it's not just these scripts; I have other tool mods I'd like to move to the Content Folder.)

Thanks in advance for any info.
Yes, I'd suggest installing all third party scripts to your Custom Content Folder. I never overwrite stock tools.
Install tools to:...Moho Pro\scripts\tool
Menu scripts to:...Moho Pro\scripts\menu

Then you either need to restart Moho or reload the tools using Ctrl+Alt+Shift+L
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks, Wes. That's what I thought but for some reason, the mods aren't 'replacing' the originals after I use the Load keyboard command or restart Moho. The mods only load when I overwrite the originals. (No worries, I made a backup of the original un-modified script folder before replacing the files.)

I'll take a closer look later...maybe I'm goofing something up. FWIW, I've only checked this with dkwroot's tool mods. I don't believe there's anything about these scripts that would prevent this from working, but I'll see if this happens with other tool mods I use.

Just to be clear, I've been able to successfully add new third-party tools that don't exist in stock Moho using the Custom Content Folder, it just doesn't seem to work with these tool mods.

It's almost lunchtime for me. I'll check this again on my laptop then.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Are you sure Moho is pointed to that Custom Content folder?
Preferences>General tab
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, I opened the folder from File: Open Content Folder, which I think is the same thing, but I'll check again in a few minutes.

Edit: Confirmed, I'm using the correct Content Folder. Other non-stock tools (new tools, not mods) are loading from there successfully.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Is your custom content folder over a network?
What if you move the stock tool out of its folder (like you were backing it up, but without replacing it)?
If anything shows up then, it has to be the modded tool.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm, maybe it's just the Magnet mod?

The content folder on my laptop is actually in my Documents folder, so it's local in this case.

I restored to program's scripts folder to the default scripts, and placed the modified tools in the content folder. Then I removed the original Magnet and Transform Points files from the program's scripts folder. When I launch Moho, the modified Magnet tool didn't load...in other words, no Magnet tool at all. However, I see the Transform Points tool and it does appear to be the modified one with the repositionable pivot point.

I'll try this again with the original tools returned to the Program folder, and see if I still get the modded Transform Points tool. BRB.