looking for a software to work alongside with moho

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wr3yth

looking for a software to work alongside with moho

Post by wr3yth »

hi
i want to do some motion graphic/animation stuff but i think moho alone is not enough,i need a program to give some depth into my animations and add some nice effects
i need it to be easy because i don't have much time to learn it
I
wr3yth

Re: looking for a software to work alongside with moho

Post by wr3yth »

are primiere or after effects agood options?
I
Ahroo

Post by Ahroo »

Consider Hitfilm Express (totally free): https://fxhome.com/express
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

For motion graphics, I really like After Effects. If you use Layer Comps, it works really well with Moho too. At work, I use this combo for the Moho stuff featured in our TV shows. To make full use of AE, you'll probably want to get some third party plugins though, like the Trapcode suite, etc. (Coincidentally, I seem to be doing a ton of mograph stuff in AE at work lately.)

As a compositing program, I prefer Fusion but I have to admit, it's not as strong as AE for motion graphics stuff. But there's a free version of Fusion you can try out at Black Magic's website. (The full version became really cheap this year. I remember when the software cost $5000, but now it costs $299.) Years ago, I used Fusion for 'Scareplane', my first Moho animation project. Not a lot of mograph in that film, but when I worked at Rhythm, I used Fusion to create mograph 'HUD' elements for video game cinematics and commercials. (I think you can see some of that on my R+H demo reel.)

The aforementioned Hit Film is supposed to be a good alternative to AE too. I have standalone program at home but haven't taken the time to learn it yet. However, I do use the Hit Film plugins inside AE and they're top-notch.

If I was to restrict myself to just one compositing program though...hmm, that's a hard call. I might have to say After Effects. As a compositing program, it's sometimes annoying because it's layer based rather than node based, but it's animation features helps make up for that. Plus, there are a ton of awesome plugins available to it.

The 'catch' with AE is that it's subscription only and some people take issue with that. For me personally, I think the CC suite is a very good deal but that's because I use several programs from the suite regularly: After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Animate, Audition, InDesign, etc. (I would use Premiere too if I didn't prefer Vegas so much.)

But if I only ever occasionally used one or two program from the CC suite, I might not feel the same about its value. The value of the subscription comes from how much and how often you actually use the suite.

I also like that I can run CC software on any computer I need to run it on, and I can easily deactivate the license on a computer I no longer have access to. That was an important feature back when I was a freelancer and sometimes had to work at the client's location.

Getting back to AE specifically, my one big complaint is that it has mediocre support for EXR. Fusion is much stronger that area. But if you're rendering from Moho, you don't have to worry about that since Moho doesn't support EXR at all.

Hope this helps.