HELP WITH FONTS!!!!

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wendovervista

HELP WITH FONTS!!!!

Post by wendovervista »

I'm having issues with the TTF and OTF fonts I recently loaded into my computer not showing up in MOHO 12. I can see them in other programs, like Word, Power Point, Sony Movie Studio Platinum, etc. Do I need to reinstall MOHO for these fonts to show up? I added them AFTER I had installed MOHO.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Greenlaw

Re: HELP WITH FONTS!!!!

Post by Greenlaw »

TTF should work. I don't think OTF does, at least none of my custom fonts (like my personal 'comics' font) will load into Moho, which is one of a handful of reasons I don't bother with Moho's fonts tool/layer. I haven't tried converting my fonts from OTF to TTF but I've read elsewhere that other Moho users have done this.

Hmm...looking at it now and I'm not sure I see many of my TTF fonts in Moho either.

Ok, just tried a test: I converted one of my own handwriting fonts from OTF to TTF and installed that. I still don't see it in the Moho font menus. I'm thinking thinking this is bugged.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just wondering: does anybody know where Moho pulls its font data from? I was thinking if you can find that, you might try copying your fonts to that location. I'm not sure this will actually work but, if you really need your fonts in Moho, it might be worth a try.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

The manual does state Moho supports both Truetype and OTF, so I'm guessing this is bugged.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I have no problem seeing newly installed TTF or OTF in Moho, on Windows 8.1.

If you have Moho opened, you do have to quit and restart it after adding a new font. Reloading scripts/brushes doesn't work for fonts, as it probably only loads system-wide resources on startup.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Nope, not happening here...TTF or OTF.

But I don't think it's ever worked for me, even on my old computer. Weird.

I'll check what happens on my computer at work Monday.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

@Wendovervista, which OS are you running?

All of my computers at home are running Windows 10. At work, I'm still on Win 7 so if it works there, I'm not sure that tells me anything. Actually, if it doesn't work there, I'm not sure that tells me anything either. I'll check my Win 10 desktop here at home and see if it's working there.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

And you've verified that they're installed by checking the /Windows/Fonts folder?
Maybe there's a permission problem in Windows 10?
wendovervista

Post by wendovervista »

Greenlaw wrote:@Wendovervista, which OS are you running?

All of my computers at home are running Windows 10. At work, I'm still on Win 7 so if it works there, I'm not sure that tells me anything. Actually, if it doesn't work there, I'm not sure that tells me anything either. I'll check my Win 10 desktop here at home and see if it's working there.
I'm currently using Windows 10. I WAS using Windows 7 and had no problems. Of course, I was using Anime Studio 10 on that computer, too. I just recently got a new computer AND upgraded to Moho 12. Kinda needing the fonts to work. I have a client that I need certain fonts for that aren't showing up.
wendovervista

Post by wendovervista »

synthsin75 wrote:And you've verified that they're installed by checking the /Windows/Fonts folder?
Yes. All the fonts are verified and working. Other programs bring them up without any problems, too. So, it's just Moho that's having problems playing nice with others.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Seeing as Windows 10 seems to be the common denominator, there's a lot of suggestions for fixing font problems on Windows 10 in this article: https://windowsreport.com/font-bugs-windows-10/
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

synthsin75 wrote:And you've verified that they're installed by checking the /Windows/Fonts folder?
Yeah, a lot of the fonts I use regularly in pretty much every other program do not show up in Moho. At first I thought it was the fonts I've created myself but also fonts I've purchased. Not sure why.

I hadn't really paid much attention to this before because I don't use Moho's type tool but, now that I'm aware of it, it does bug me. :?

I do use a font managing program called FontExpert to manage fonts by project, but it physically installs the files to the System when I have these sets enabled so I don't think that's the cause.

Will take another look at this when I have time.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Moho never showed me all fonts I had installed on my system (and TVP does the same). One reason is that it doesn't open anything which is inside its own folder within the Fonts folder, although OSX uses them anyway, so Moho cleary justs scans the first level of the Fonts folder instead of using the list of installed fonts the system uses. (Mac OS allows to install fonts no matter where they are stored.)

These font file formats I found working:
TrueType ttf
OpenType otf
PostScript Type1
Font Suitcase
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

A small addition to (Win) font managing programs - AMP font viewer.
Free, available in a portable version as well, temp install of fonts (from any folder) while the app is on and personally, I find it a tad bit more comfortable and customizable than Greenlaw`s suggestion, FontExpert.

Slight off topic, sorry...
While speaking of these font managing programs - has anyone came across the one which could "read and group" the font`s type (humanist, slab serif, script or similar categorization)? AFAIK, this has to be done manually but I`ll be really pleased to hear that someone has found the way to automatize such grouping or search tagging.
wendovervista

Post by wendovervista »

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I've tried a few of the suggestions, especially the ones in that link, and nothing is working. I'm thinking if there is a font folder in MOHO, then I'll try moving fonts over to that and see what happens.